By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7 RC, my impressions so far

Squall_Leonhart said:
I may have to upgrade to this also as Vista is just the worst OS i have ever had the displeasure to have to use day-to-day!

It takes forever to load up, constantly crashes/clashes with programs i am using (i.e. Safari, since IE is just not an option) and is a backward step to XP in many respects in terms of user-friendlyness lol.

Thing is, i think having to pay £140 for a disk is insane... but Vista is that bad it might need to be done!

If Vista crashes so much for you, it's probably due to bad drivers for your hardware... You should try to upgrade your drivers, especially the graphics card one.

Vista per se is not unstable at all, in fact I have never seen it crash. There must be something else causing your crashes.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

My Vista installations never go down, I can't even recall a single crash which wasn't related to faulty hardware on my 24/7 HTPC I built over a year ago. I only ever have to restart it for Windows Updates.

Tease.

I have to agree with NJ5 and Squlliam on Vista stability. We have only one customer that uses Vista for their business, and I get far fewer support calls from them than any of my other customers (who run XP Pro). Also, none of their Vista computers have ever had a virus or crash in the two years I've been working with them, while the one XP machine they have has had two viruses.

IMO, the only thing that was lacking with Vista was performance (runs great on a beefy system, not so great on a basic system) and compatibility. I believe MS has addressed both of these issues with 7.

I've been using it since its beta and I like it a lot so far. My only issue so far is that when I look at some of my hard drives it just laggs and never opens it up. I have to go back and re-open it...

other than that I really want to get it when it comes out.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

My Vista works better than my past XP install (that worked fine), it starts in like 30 seconds, but if I can get better performance with 7, I'll get it. I haven't installed most of my games because I'm waiting for it's release.

Around the Network
WarmachineX said:
I've been using it since its beta and I like it a lot so far. My only issue so far is that when I look at some of my hard drives it just laggs and never opens it up. I have to go back and re-open it...

other than that I really want to get it when it comes out.

Make sure all of your hard drives are formatted in the NTFS file system (if you select the drive with a single click in Computer, it will show the file system at the bottom). If they are already NTFS, run a checkdisk on the drives having problems (right click the drive, Properties, Tools, Check Now, check the 'Automatically Fix Filesystem Errors' box, click Ok. You may have to restart the computer depending on what drive you're trying to check.)

Spankey said:
^^yup in my experience, 9/10 time the problem exists between chair and keyboard.

That said, I'm using the W7 RC now and have been since release, and like you said, no problems.
Even properly integrates with older domains too, unlike Vista.
Good step up imo.

@ookaze
"(as viruses just can't work on Unix like systems like Linux)" - then please explain why Anti-virus software is available for Linux

and WTF is a shill?

@ Italic comment. I totally agree with you, lol. More viruses are programmed for the most prevelant OS, simple fact. Linux and OSX may be somewhat less vulnerable because of this, but they are by no means immune. For those that believe the utter nonsense that viruses simply 'can't run' on their pet platform, I present a quick list of known viruses for Linux.

The following is a partial list of known Linux malware. Known malware is not the only or even the most important threat: new malware or attacks directed to specific sites can use vulnerabilities not previously known to the community or not previously used by malware.

[edit] Trojans

• Kaiten - Linux.Backdoor.Kaiten trojan horse[13]
  • Rexob - Linux.Backdoor.Rexob trojan[14]

[edit] Viruses

• Alaeda - Virus.Linux.Alaeda[15]
  • Bad Bunny - Perl.Badbunny[5][16]
  • Binom - Linux/Binom[17]
  • Bliss
  • Brundle[18]
  • Bukowski[19]
  • Diesel - Virus.Linux.Diesel.962[20]
  • Kagob a - Virus.Linux.Kagob.a[21]