By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If the Bungie rumor is true, what is MS going to do with the money?

From what I understand right of first refusal does mean that they get to choose if they want a game, but they no longer decide if the develoment cost is worth it. So MS might like a game but passes due to cost.

Example A:
Bugie pitches Game of Big Awesomeness to MS. It will cost MS 30 million to get it. MS number crunchers guess they will only make 20 million back on the game, and it won't push too many more consoles. So they pass.

Game of Big Awesomness is pitched to Sony. There number crunchers think they will only make 15 million on the game, but it will drive NA sales up by 1 million consoles so they go for it.

Example B:
Bungie pitches Game of Big Fun to MS. It will cost MS 10 million to make. It is a casual title so it might expand console sales by a few but the number crunchers think they will only make 4 million back.

Bungie pitches Game of Big Fun to Nintendo. It will only cost Nintendo 5 million becasue it is cheaper to develop for the Wii. Ninetendo think that they can make 10 million from the game and it goes great with Game of Portable Fun Bungie is making for the DS.

Here we have two examples of games Bungie wants to make that Microsoft likes and has a chance to buy but passes on. If they had more control over Bungie they could cut cost but exploiting cost savings in the company and retaining the higher profit percentage. They could change the game focus for broader appeal in their demographic. Or they could just move Bungie onto their next idea. But if Bungie is a 3rd party, even with certian agreements, they could be making a lot of exclusives for other companies. This kind of development allows them to grow in size and scope as a company beyond the one trick pony status of Halo. It is a gamble but I also think they would retain a higher percentage of profits on future Halo projects even if they never look at another console.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

give it to the shareholders , because they are the ones who suffer from the bilklion grave that is the entertainment department

More to your original question. I don't think MS will do anythign special with the money. Yes a 9 figure number is huge but at the same time that barel affects their cash on hand. And ifthe details of the deal are true they don't lose a lot . I am guessing they would let it sit on the books for a quarter to show profit. But in the long run we will see MS contnue to throw tons of money to buy developers and exclusives.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Here's a quote from a CNBC article from yesterday that talks about this rumor (also I have a feeling that future games from them will be for the 360, DS, and PSP):

http://www.cnbc.com/id/21133818

"This is certainly worth watching: Microsoft snapped up Bungie back in 2000 and the partnership has been key in generating excitement and interest in the various versions of the Xbox. With the Halo trilogy at an end, this might be a perfect time for the two to party company. Me? From the two people I'm talking to inside Bungie, I'm expecting a new kind of partnership between the two and not a wholesale break-up."

SpaceJase said:

What is the point of Bungie buying their name back if they are to remain a second party dev? Might as well just keep the money and carry on as they are if this is the case.

Because it allows them to make the games they want to instead of Halo. It gives them creative freedom again. From all reports, Bungie has no problem with MS, they're just tired of Halo. As long as Bungie is under the MS umbrella, they'll be doing Halo games.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

New Marathon game for Mac/PC??