By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your top ten favorite first-person shooters?

Here's mine:

1. COD 4
2. COD: World At War
3. Halo 3
4. Goldeneye 007
5. Battlefield 1943
6. Left For Dead
7. Halo 2
8. Battlefield Bad Company
9. Killzone 2
10. Half Life 2

Around the Network

1. Half-Life + Counter-Strike
2. Quake II
3. Half-Life 2 + All Episodes
4. Doom 2
5. Bioshock
6. Duke Nukem 3D
7. Hexen
8. Blood
9. Serious Sam
10. Delta Force

Honorable Mentions:
Halo 2
Medal of Honor Allied Assault
Delta Force 2
Hexen 2
Doom
Doom 3
Far Cry
Shadow Warrior
Red Faction

Why do people like Red Faction, Doom 3, and XIII?

uadfa said:

Cause Red Faction was a pretty damn good console FPS back in 2001. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/redfaction?q=red%20faction

And doom 3 was a really damn good fps in 2004 if you had a system that can run it full blast.

XIII I have no idea...

disolitude said:
uadfa said:

Cause Red Faction was a pretty damn good console FPS back in 2001. http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/redfaction?q=red%20faction

And doom 3 was a really damn good fps in 2004 if you had a system that can run it full blast.

XIII I have no idea...

To me: Red Faction was the epitome of how not to do a console first-person shooter. Bad A.I., dull level design, godawful auto-aim, twitchy controls, hiss can weapons, bad pacing, bland vehicles, poor storytelling, bad mission design, difficulty curve that is all over the place, and the GeoMod engine is a poorly implemented gimmick.

Doom 3 wasn't Doom at all, it was a really, really bad clone of System Shock 2.

Around the Network
uadfa said:
disolitude said:
uadfa said:

XIII I have no idea...

To me: Red Faction was the epitome of how not to do a console first-person shooter. Bad A.I., dull level design, godawful auto-aim, twitchy controls, hiss can weapons, bad pacing, bland vehicles, poor storytelling, bad mission design, difficulty curve that is all over the place, and the GeoMod engine is a poorly implemented gimmick.

Doom 3 wasn't Doom at all, it was a really, really bad clone of System Shock 2.

Yeah, today maybe...but back then both of those games impressed. Red Faction didn't age well, but in 2001 it had open environments and "geomod" tech which was not seen in other games. Plus it was fun...

Doom 3 is not one of my favourites cause its jsut a repetitive twitch fest but the visual atmosphere of that game is quite amazing. I see how someone with an amazing PC would have fond memories of that game.

You have to look at games when they came out, and both of those were solid experiences for the time...jsut look at their reviews.

Here is an example - today Resident Evil 1 is a slow, clunky, repetitive and ugly mess...but you still can't deny it is one of the best games of that genre.

^^ agreed with the Doom3 statement. It really isn't much of what we know as DOOM. It was just a corridor-jump-from-behind-you-fest. Graphics were the only thing that saved it. It barely did.

I know this isn't 10 but this is how I think of FPS ish titles:

SP

1 - Half Life 2
2 - Half Life
3 - Doom / Doom 2
4 - CoD4
5 - Halo CE (PC)

MP

1 - Unreal Tournament
2 - Unreal 2 XMP
3 - Day of Defeat
4 - Team Fortress 2
5 - Counter Strike Source

FPS Hybrids

1 - Deus Ex
2 - System Shock 2
3 - Stalker : Shadow of Chernobyl
4 - Bioshock
5 - System Shock

Honorable mentions for FPS I've played and liked a lot (no particular order here):

FEAR

Doom3

Serious Sam

Painkiller

Resistance 1 & 2

Halo 2 & 3

Killzone 2

Shadow Warrior

Duke Nukem

Battlefield 2

Mirrors Edge

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

1. Half life 2

2. Call of dutty 4

3. Serious Sam

4. Doom

5. Resistance 2

6. Bioshock

7. Half life

8. Call of dutty 2

9. Prey

10. Fear

1. Halo: CE
  2. Metroid Prime