By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sega VP joins SCEA

LINK (pops)

SNIP--

Sony Computer Entertainment America has announced that Scott A. Steinberg, former vice president of Sega of America, has joined SCEA in the newly-created role of vice president of product marketing.

--SNIP

What does this mean for Sony?  Looks like he's experienced and should bring to Sony a new perspective when it comes to the marketing side of the PS3 and PSP. 

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Around the Network

He may be the one who made that $399.99 ps3 come out.

mM

He started on October 1st, the plans for the $399.99 PS3 have been in motion for a while now if it is to be releasing this month. So no, he's not the one who made that decision.

The marketing to let everyone and their sister know about it? That will be his first major job.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

If i'm reading it right.

It means Sony is tired of outside firms screwing up their american advertising campaign and are going to be a lot more hands on with their marketing.

(Seriously, those early PS3 commercials sucked. Were you buying a videogame system or an evil poltergeist?)

Is it my imagination or has Sony been replacing a lot of executives lately?

If I'm not imagining it, this could be either good or bad for Sony because it will likely mean a change in direction ... That could mean a change away from things they were doing well as well as from what they were doing poorly.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Is it my imagination or has Sony been replacing a lot of executives lately?

If I'm not imagining it, this could be either good or bad for Sony because it will likely mean a change in direction ... That could mean a change away from things they were doing well as well as from what they were doing poorly.

They didn't replace anyone here, it's a new position.

He is only the VP, so it's not like he has complete control over the marketing department. He'll just add input from now on.

Also, it's Sega. :S

makingmusic476 said:

He is only the VP, so it's not like he has complete control over the marketing department. He'll just add input from now on.

Cept unless this article is miselading SCEA is one of those companys that has only one preisdent.  Atleast that's what the article implies.

You've got the president of Sony who runs the company,  then a number of vice presidents who run the divisions. 

This guy will report to Dille who is another Vice President... but a "senior" vice president.  Some companies do it this way because they think it's confusing to have more then one president.

So he's pretty much the guy that will decide on everything then will bring it to Dille, who will likely just stamp everything through unless he thinks it's a really big bomb of a plan.

Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Cept unless this article is miselading SCEA is one of those companys that has only one preisdent. Atleast that's what the article implies.

You've got the president of Sony who runs the company, then a number of vice presidents who run the divisions.

This guy will report to Dille who is another Vice President... but a "senior" vice president. Some companies do it this way because they think it's confusing to have more then one president.

So he's pretty much the guy that will decide on everything then will bring it to Dille, who will likely just stamp everything through unless he thinks it's a really big bomb of a plan.

Good point. I was thinking that there was a president of marketing for some reason, haha.  It's late, I'm tired. :|

makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

Cept unless this article is miselading SCEA is one of those companys that has only one preisdent. Atleast that's what the article implies.

You've got the president of Sony who runs the company, then a number of vice presidents who run the divisions.

This guy will report to Dille who is another Vice President... but a "senior" vice president. Some companies do it this way because they think it's confusing to have more then one president.

Good point. I was thinking that there was a president of marketing for some reason, haha.  It's late, I'm tired. :|

It's a valid mistake.  Personally i hate companies that do that myself.  "Vice President in charge of... blank" and it's even worse since they seem to have two levels of vice president,  Vice President and Senior Vice President.

Why