By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will the PS3 40 GB model have a smaller size?

drkohler said:
TheBigFatJ said:
W29 said:
I think Sony is going to find ways to cheapen the console. And I wouldn't blame them for doing that. If they do come out with a PS3 model that is $400. You can best believe I'm buying that console.

We *know* Sony will release a $399 PS3. We strongly suspect it will be at an even greater loss to Sony than the current models, because Sony cannot possibly cost reduce the device this fast (they don't have the technology).

The question here is: will they make it physically smaller. The size of the PS3 (which is already about $400 in Japan) is seen as one of the biggest hinderences to its uptake in Japan.

Reducing the size of the print/the entire case would obviously increase the overall production cost while only marginally decrease the price of the board. Board costs (per revision) are calculated by:

(Size of board) x (Number of layers) x (Holefactor) + development costs

Development costs is a one time only contribution to the overall costs which includes design, fabrication tools, (re-)programming chip and testing machines. Holefactor is basically a measure on how many holes you have to drill, it is 1 for a board without holes and probably would go upto 3-4 for a perforated board.

A PS3 board currently costs around $6 to produce (give or take a buck). Even if by removing the PS2 chip one could eliminate one or two layers, a reduction of the board size would yield a savings of maybe $1. Now why would changing the board size increase the overall costs? Pretty obvious, the plastic case no longer fits (you need a new case, new tools), and the cooling stuff no longer fits (another redesign, again new tools required).

My calculation bring the production costs of an Euro-PS3 currently sold to about $410 (-10%/+5% margin). Removing all the bits mentioned (and possibly a 65nm cell engine), keeping everything else the same, assuming material was ordered early enough for the next production run, the production cost would be about $390 (-10%/+5%) for this new PS3. Sell a game and Sony is about at zero loss with this SKU.

Thanks for clarifying the motherboard cost issue. $6 for production of the board is on the low side of what I would have guessed.

Your cost estimates have a very small range. How did you come up with those numbers and what are the sources? With such a small range, you must be very confident about all of the costs involved. If your production costs are correct, it would be curious as to why the PS3 keeps bringing down Sony's bottom line, especially since Sony sells almost all Euro PS3s well abouve $410 even if you factor in VAT.

Around the Network

well it certaintly seems that way...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

TheBigFatJ said:

Thanks for clarifying the motherboard cost issue. $6 for production of the board is on the low side of what I would have guessed.

Your cost estimates have a very small range. How did you come up with those numbers and what are the sources? With such a small range, you must be very confident about all of the costs involved. If your production costs are correct, it would be curious as to why the PS3 keeps bringing down Sony's bottom line, especially since Sony sells almost all Euro PS3s well abouve $410 even if you factor in VAT.

I am quite sure my production estimates are reasonably within the ballpark (in the past 25 years, I had been in industrial projects that dealt with all the kinds of stuff you would need to make products like a console, for example). As far as the estimates go, they only include the production costs. Total estimates for every PS3 revision would have to include development costs and ammortisation costs. Now the last part basically tells you how much money you have to add to every PS3 produced to recoup past and ongoing development costs. These costs include the engineering group(s), the whole diode development thing - which the division that includes the PS3 department has to bear, aparently -, setup of the factory/factories/assembly lines neede etc.) While pretty much all revisions of the PS3 cost around $420 to produce, the total costs are completely different. We do not know the timeframe which Sony was/is planning to recoup development costs in, but given the statements from management that are flying around on the net ('you get $600 if you find a PS3 in a shop', etc) we can assume that Sonys idea was to recoup the costs with the first batch of PS3s made. This gives about the following price breakdown (all values estimated within -10%/+5%):

1. First batch of PS3 (USA(Japan units), probably around 5 million quantity:

$440 (production cost) + $300 development costs (diode, engineering) + $100 (diode) = approx $840 cost

2. Second batch of PS3 (castrated Europe/USA), probably ordered also at around 4-5 million quantity

$410 (production cost) + $100 (engineering) + $100 (diode) = approx $620 cost

3. Third batch of PS3 (the new fully castrated unit), probably ordered in even higher numbers

$380 (production cost) + $10 (engineering) + $10 (diode) = approx $400 cost per unit

(You can see that the numbers are roughly the same as the ones shown elsewhere by some company, but their individual price breakdown is often totally off reality).

The uncertainty in the numbers shows the fact that Sony is partially its own OEM, particularly for the blue diodes, and how much in advance Sony orders components for their products (this is a key factor in determination of the cost of a product. Given that the PS3 does not sell the numbers Sony thought they would, they might have a large inventory of stuff lying around, aprticularly diodes and harddisks etc).

drkohler, I don't understand very well how you come up with the numbers for what you call "engineering". Does that include the whole cost of R&D for the PS3?

Isuppli's analysis doesn't do any similar breakdown, and they come up with a similar value ($840), how can that be? Did they spread the "engineering" costs all over the components price? I assumed that their component prices were based on what the components themselves would cost, without taking R&D into account.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

drkohler, I don't understand very well how you come up with the numbers for what you call "engineering". Does that include the whole cost of R&D for the PS3?

Isuppli's analysis doesn't do any similar breakdown, and they come up with a similar value ($840), how can that be? Did they spread the "engineering" costs all over the components price? I assumed that their component prices were based on what the components themselves would cost, without taking R&D into account.

I do not know how Isupply gets to their values (but you have correctly realized it does not say development costs anywhere in their breakup), I do have one of their lists though. For example, it lists the following points amongst others:

Cooling/mounting hw $22

Enclosure/hardware $31 

about 5 or 6 positions all called manufacturing/other..... all in all, it would seem that isupply values the cost of the plastic box /metal sheets around $60... Now what is the _real_ production price of that stuff?

Let's look at the initial production run of say 5 mio units. What we need to produce these components is:

The case: a plastic extruder + a high performance press + press form(s) that shape the molten plastic into the case form

The metal sheet stuff: a high performance press + stencil form(s) that punch the metal shields out of the sheet roll.

What you are willing to pay for it depends on where you produce this stuff. You do it fully automatic (typically in a high price country) with highly sophisticated machinery (read: expensive) and essentially zero manpower or you do it in a 'poor' country with lots of cheap (chinese?) worker slaves and cheap machines. Both ways have their advantages and disadvantages.

Now what I call engineering is a lump sum of the following sequence:

1. Some engineers design the case/the sheet metal stuff (usually in the lab)

2. Some engineers test the setup (note: this is apparently not required if you are Microsoft making Xboxes...) 

3. If it is ok (if not, go back to 1.) someone decides on the production facility to produce the stuff. If you do it on your own, you need all of the above mentioned equipment, but usually there are companies that have extruders and/or presses in their factories. So you only need to engineer and produce the press forms that company needs. For plastic cases made out of extruded polypropylene and cheap sheet metal bits, these form can be made out of aluminium (harder stuff requires stainless steeel ewhich costs a lot more). 

So: Engineering costs = everything mentioned above you pay upfront to be able to produce stuff.  Production costs = cost of polypropylene/sheet metal/chinese worker slaves doing the cases.

What does a single case cost? If made by chinese worker slaves, around $2.80, say 3 bucks max.

What does the cooling stuff cost? The sheet(s) around $1, the fan is also a mass product in the $2-3 range. Add $2-3 for assembling/cleaning the stuff.

So the production costs is not $70, but around $8-9. Now that is not the final cost, since each of the 5 mio cases has to add 1/5'000'000 of the startup engineering costs mentioned above, which may add another $2-3. For the following batches, you do not need to add these costs, as you already have paid for it (and assuming the stuff didn't break. You also might keep some og the engineers in the project which adds a few cents).

One of the critical components of the PS3 obviously is the blu-ray drive which is relatively difficult to estimate costs (I do not have a PS3 and I have not been able to examine one myself). However, there is nothing magic in the drive itself, it does not need magical technology just because the lens system now has a higher numerical aperture - the laser light is more strongly focussed than in an ordinary dvd drive which requires better precision since the lense is now almost in contact with the disk. What seems like a disadvantage is actually the bonus compared to HD-DVD. Having a high numerical aperture makes it easier to build re-writable systems. We have luck - Sony is the largest manufacturer of DVD drive systems, so they do know how to make and mass produce these drives and pickup systems. Since one can buy good quality dvd drives in the $30 ballpark, the production costs of a blu-ray drive can be estimated around $20 + cost of laser (Isupply has a value of $125 in its list, which is correct for the second batch of PS3s). So the price breakdown probably looks something like

First production run: $20 drive $100 diode $250 engineering costs

Second production run: $20 drive $100 diode

Newest run: $20 drive $5 diode 

Note that when the second run (European PS3s) was ordered, the production yield of the blue diodes was still unsatisfactory which yields to the high diode price.

Around the Network

Thanks a lot for the extensive explanation! I'll let my brain digest this for a while ;)

OK, this prediction has officially failed. I have to say I am surprised... All the rumours came true, but the size is the same!

Why on earth would they remove 2 USB ports from the console if not to reduce the size of the motherboard (together with the PS2 chip and memory card readers removal), and consequently the size of the console? How much are they saving with this measure, $1-$3 per console?

Or maybe it's just a way to differentiate the models in the minds of consumers? If that's the case well... I still think it's lousy. As far as I can see, the models are more than differentiated by disk size, memory card readers and BC issues already.

Can someone think of a good reason for this? Are they financially desperate enough to make the meager monetary saving the reason for this?

^^ http://www.konsolifin.net/uutinen.php?site=ps2&id=3879

''Laitteen sisältä löytynee muitakin muutoksia, sillä se on peräti 400 grammaa vanhaa mallia kevyempi.'''

Quick translation: Inside of new model you can find many changes, and because of them it will be 400g lighter than older model

NJ5 said:

Why on earth would they remove 2 USB ports from the console if not to reduce the size of the motherboard (together with the PS2 chip and memory card readers removal), and consequently the size of the console? How much are they saving with this measure, $1-$3 per console?

Or maybe it's just a way to differentiate the models in the minds of consumers? If that's the case well... I still think it's lousy. As far as I can see, the models are more than differentiated by disk size, memory card readers and BC issues already.

Can someone think of a good reason for this? Are they financially desperate enough to make the meager monetary saving the reason for this?

Well, as I tried to explain in my previous message, a change in the case size does increase the production costs. It seems the board size probably is also still the same.. but I haven't yet seen a really detailed analysis/picture of this new SKU. At least in Switzerland, it seems the new customers get royally screwed with this new model:

Old starter pack : new Sfr 799 (includes 2 controllers, 2 Games) down from Sfr 899

New SKU: Sfr 649 (packshots show plain box - no 2nd controller, no 2 games)

I really wonder what comes with the new SKU, as both games and the controller in the starter pack retail all at around Sfr 100 each at the moment... ($1 = Sfr 1.18)