By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Price cut? How useful is that?

So, it seems as if PS3 is getting another "price drop" (read new SKU).

Before its first price drop the PS3 was selling 20k roughly.

Now it is more like 30k.  About a 50% increase.

How do you think this new price cut can effect sales? Another 50% which will bring it up to 45k? Or something else.

* And by the way I am not talking about the week or two after the price cut which will see increased sales, I am looking at when the pricecut has stabilized.

Ideas? 

Around the Network

I'm still not entirely convinced this price cut will happen. It just seems like such a big drop since technically the $600 pack is now the standard. That's a $200 drop in 3 months.

As for the effect, I think there will be an immediate spike followed by a stable increase to around 50k a week. $400 is almost affordable.

the holiday rush combined with the price drop effect, (especially in Europe, where it will be the equivilant of a $200 price drop) will increase sales through Jan. then Q1 and Q2 will be huge for sony, as most of their big exclusives will be dropping.
It is hard to say if sales will ever "stabilize" to a number comparable to the current sales. IMO they will stabilize in mid 2009, at a much much higher number than the current sales.
But that is a very hard question to answer, before it was just a price drop.
Now there is a price drop followed by waves of games, which was not true before.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

The games and the Halo bomb having been dropped should help the PS3's numbers stabilize to healthy numbers just about every week after the price drop.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Have I missed some news somewhere? Where's the evidence that there actually is a 40Gb PS3-lite on the way and how much it is going to cost?

Around the Network
Taz42 said:
Have I missed some news somewhere? Where's the evidence that there actually is a 40Gb PS3-lite on the way and how much it is going to cost?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/02/sonys-399-ps3-confirmed-by-best-buy/

It is still technically a rumor.  Several sources (mostly employees of electronics stores) have reported that they are ordering 40g PS3s.  Sony also filed with the FCC for a 40g device.

Pretty easy to believe at this point.

2 Price Drops in just a few Months.
Have this ever happend to a Console before?
No good Trust for the Future

3 Versions of a Console.

Home and different Games delayed

All together a bad Sign for a good finacial Year for Sony

Demand is not linear, it is based upon a curve. Just because it saw a 50% increase in sales the first time around does not translate into a 50% price cut the second time. It should be far greater.

It looks like the cut comes end of October to NA and Mid October to others. After that the PS3 will rocket, not only by the price cut, because of Christmas. After Christmas there will be games coming, 50K is reasonable, even more is possible. We are taking about NA, right?

ultraslick said:
the holiday rush combined with the price drop effect, (especially in Europe, where it will be the equivilant of a $200 price drop) will increase sales through Jan. then Q1 and Q2 will be huge for sony, as most of their big exclusives will be dropping.
It is hard to say if sales will ever "stabilize" to a number comparable to the current sales. IMO they will stabilize in mid 2009, at a much much higher number than the current sales.
But that is a very hard question to answer, before it was just a price drop.
Now there is a price drop followed by waves of games, which was not true before.

Mid 2009?

You do realize that stabilization is when the console drops to a rate of sales at which it does not vary hugely, your saying that the PS3 is going to be dropping constantly until mid 2009?

Anyway, I think that after the holidays it will stabilize at a comparable number to now. Basically the same people who would buy it for $400 after the holidays will be the same people before the holidays, I don't see this price drop having a permanent effect.