By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Zelda to *not* be "radically different"

Also, I hope this game will allow the option to use the classic controller. I have zero interest in Wii's motion capabilities, honestly...Well, maybe only in fitness games, but that's it.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Around the Network

Zelda Games are usually perfect, i loved TP All i would like is to make this game a bit more non linear (just allow random quests, and exploration bit like oblivion maybe?)

I hope this game incorporates the tactics used in Zelda II. I liked that I had to randomly high jump at the end of a town screen to progress the game.

silentmac, with regards to your original argument, you can't expect more freedom if you demand a more cinematic experience, my friend - as a general rule, the two are very much mutually exclusive. Furthermore, neither are very true to the spirit of the Zelda series. Zelda is not Metal Gear, nor is it Oblivion (thankfully). Personally, I certainly don't see the point in making it artificially "grander" than it already is.

Also, more complex plots usually means more bloated and convoluted plotlines. I'm quite happy as long as Nintendo's stories continue to be well told. To be frank, I still see a lot of people who fail to get the gist of The Wind Waker's themes, branding the story a simple "beat bad guy and rescue princess" routine, when in fact it is nothing but. Maybe they should not ask for more than they can swallow? But certainly, I could see Nintendo taking things to another level, however I wonder if the series would lose it's personal touch it has worked so hard to build up since TWW (and beyond).

I also would like to see a new art style, if for no reason than the fact that I don't want every game to look the same. This is especially true for the cell shaded games, the style of which I never really liked in the first place.

As long as it comes with 1:1 motion controls I've got no complaints.

Zelda doesn't need to be drastically different, as long as the keep the gameplay fresh and fun to play.

Around the Network
ZZetaAlec said:

They know there is a lot of pressure for the series to progress, Miyamoto's coments confirm this, but Nintendo doesn't 'do' logical progressions. I assume your suggestions come from a likeing of Western style RPG's and my comments come from fond memories of Majora's Mask. However Nintendo wont go down these paths precisely because they've been done before. When they went to re-invent Metroid with Prime they took a direction that fans initially abhored, but it went on to have the highest average review score of last gen, be considerd a classic entry in the series and practically invented the FPA in the process. The same with Mario Galaxy in were they veered off sideways and basically reinvented the platformer. It's almost inevitable they will attempt the same with Zelda Wii made even more likey now that they have WMP to incorporate. So when more info on Zelda Wii is disclosed and you realise that most of your ideas havn't been used, don't cry fowl and realise that it's precisely because they havn't taken the obvious path that it makes it all the more likely to become something truly special and unique.

That was beautiful.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

I still wish it would tell two parts of the same story; Link's mission to save Hyrule, and Zelda's mission to awaken sages or something just as fun.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

They know there is a lot of pressure for the series to progress, Miyamoto's coments confirm this, but Nintendo doesn't 'do' logical progressions. I assume your suggestions come from a likeing of Western style RPG's...

Actually I hate Western RPGs... My comments come from liking games like the Team Ico games, Okami, and the vast scale of MMOs but not the lack of plot and terrible gameplay..

As far as a large world conflicting with a deep story, I can give Final Fantasy VII as an example although obviously I would never want a story that convoluted but the world in that game seemed huge (at least for late 1990s standards) and yet it had a deep story.  Again, I would never want Zelda to be as convoluted as that game but I want more back story and cinematics than what they have done to date and more information about other characters.  There are subtleties to the existing Zelda narratives that go beyond just save the Princess but maybe in this one Zelda isn't kidnapped at all...

As to the Steam Punk suggestion, I see that is just a natural evolution of Hyrule's existing style since their are already steam driven gadgets in the game.  I just would like to see a darker more mature version since I'm sort of tired of the child Link storylines.  In any case, this is just all aesthetics and doesn't make a bit of difference other than me wanting to see the art direction go in a totally different direction.

As to Ganon...  Surely there is another bad guy that could be used instead of him.  He felt really tacked on at the end of Twilight Princess.  Maybe they could bring back the guy from the Minish Cap Vaati.

Now Playing!

^ This is you!

Soriku said:
The "last Zelda of its kind" comment was fake.

Anyway, just take a page from MM. Make a good story with hidden but pretty deep themes and good NPC interaction.

Besides thaf, just give me WM+ (given), more dungeons (given), and a cool art style (not like TP's boring one). They should go for a painting style like the artwork showed us.

Link?

(lol, that's actually kinda confusing in context)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

silentmac said:

I think it does need to be radically different. Twilight Princess should be the last game they make in the vein of OoT. I would like to as many as possible of the following added in the next iteration:

Steam Punk or Darker Medieval Artstyle or go the other direction and make it a painting or Cell Shaded like Okami/Wind Waker
Voice Acting for everyone but Link.........that would never work. granted the cel-shading worked for WW. steam punk or dark medieval art.;...seriously?    
Orchestral Music....yes
Wii Motion +.....yes
Larger World on the Scale of Everquest or WoW....not as big as WoW or everquest, but definintly bigger.
Ability to actually go into every building and have a more living world like Oblivion but I don't want a Western RPG... It should still be scripted......maybe.
Much more complex story (Waring Nations/Intrigue, Romance, etc.)...maybe, but no waring nations.
No More Ganon (He's played out)....no, simply no. never. worst idea yet.
No More retarded Mail Man or Tingle...yes
They don't need to make a game with a gimick (ie flooded world, light/dark world etc.) for it to be a good game, just make it have an epic story and great gameplay and that is all I need....maybe, but the dual world gameplay does add alittle to the game.

If Nintendo can't do this, they need to give it to someone who can, because despite me still loving Zelda games like Okami and the Team Ico games a so impressive that they are making Zelda lose its lustre in my eyes.. This is all IMO of course...

my thoughts