By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony still supporting Paramount? even after they dropped BLU-RAY?

Sony still features Paramount trailers, like the new one for Ironman, on the PS Store... why would they do this after Paramount announced HDDVD exclusivity? i think they must have some other deal worked out... VoD anyone?

Around the Network
Regards trailers... I've just seen a trailer of a Blu-Ray's Batman Begins. Finally It was too long only on HD-DVD... I will pick it up for sure.

yup, batman begins is also on my must have list.

Maybe they would like to gte back to non-exclusive state ? That would be logical :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

vizunary said:
Sony still features Paramount trailers, like the new one for Ironman, on the PS Store... why would they do this after Paramount announced HDDVD exclusivity? i think they must have some other deal worked out... VoD anyone?

Well some trailers and movies that would only be on blu-ray are on XBLM. So that is likely what PSN is doing.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
vizunary said:

You might be right.  Btw, I'm going to use this post to shamelessly promote the BD's success.  Here is some recent news:

1.  Sony has just made its 10 millionth Blu-ray movie:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=551

2.  Sony winning Europe 4:1

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=547

3.  Hastings Entertainment (a video/music/books store) is going to increase its Blu-ray rental holdings

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6485572.html

To what extent have you seen Sony act like an organized (unified) company that is working towards a small set of goals? Personally, all I see is a company moving in a dozen opposing objectives with little communication between units.

Thanks for the links dallas. This was surprising for me:

"The BD-25 now has a consistent yield rate of around 85%, while the more difficult to produce BD-50 are consistently between 75% and 79%."

I never thought that yield rates were so low for producing discs! Has anyone seen yield rates for HD-DVD?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Thanks for the links dallas. This was surprising for me:

"The BD-25 now has a consistent yield rate of around 85%, while the more difficult to produce BD-50 are consistently between 75% and 79%."

I never thought that yield rates were so low for producing discs! Has anyone seen yield rates for HD-DVD?

The yield rates were supposedly about 50% for the regular BD discs just a matter of months ago, so things have gotten better. From what i've heard, the HD-DVD yield rates are a little better, because HD-DVD is less complicated and therefore simpler to make and has been around a little longer.  Either way, expect the yield rates for HD-DVD to improve some and for the yield rates on the Blu-ray to improve a little more  because they aren't doing as good in this respect.

Blu-Ray is really doing awesome right now. I made a topic about it outselling HD DVD in 4:1 in the UK yesterday, in which I also included many other intersting tidbits of imformation, like the fact that Blu-Ray has over 90% marketshare in Japan, and it's been like this for well over a year. Blu-Ray actually came out in Japan before HD DVD (in floppy disc form, though).

Blu-Ray currently has 90% marketshare in Japan, 65% marketshare in NA, and 75% marketshare in the UK. Things aren't looking so good for HD DVD.

For all those who missed my Blu-Ray topic in the OT forum, here it is.