By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patent new B/c technology for PS3

If Sony implement and give new PS3's backwards capability, for the actually disk, I would finally be able to justify a PS3 purchase.

"To love and to cherish, in sickness and in health, for as long you shall be resurrected from death in the church"

Around the Network

I think this will be most likely for downloadable PS2 games, and probably games that are well known / greatest hits. I wouldn't be surprised to see such games as the MGS series, God of War Series, Kingdom Hearts games, Final Fantasy series, and other PS2 games that sold very well downloadable to the PS3 in the near future.

If you think about it, there was a survey about a Collector's edition of God of War 3, and one off the options was to have God of War and God of War 2 on Blu-ray disc with God of War 3 ...

Looks like PS3 will have the undisputed best lienup pretty soon.

I can't wait till Sony announces backwards compability with PS2 games!

The catch tho it will only be PS2 games that you can buy from PSN which will make your hard copies of your PS2 games obsolete anyway! Lol

What are you looking at, nerd?

I bought a PS2 Slim a year ago for $130, knowing its $99 now. My problem is solved for playing PS2 games

Around the Network

Well I was suspecting for the long time that BC might return at the moment when they cease PS2 official support.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

The ps3 can already emulate the EE, as shown through units with partial ps2 BC. The issue lies with the GS (Graphics Synthesizer) from the ps2.

Of course, this may be some NEW method of emulation, that will allow for full emulation of ps2 hardware and other bonuses like added AA and better upscaling (over what we've seen in hardware BC units). It could be that they've figured out how to emulate the GS, and are also emulating the EE in a new way that involves using teh entire Cell.

These could theoretically lead to in-game XMB with ps1/2 BC as well.

hmmm, it looks like what they may be doing is trying to creat code references so that when the PS2 game code gets decompiled, it can then be recompiled to PS3 specific code.

A good example is transparency, PS2 couldn't do it via hardware but the huge bandwidth of the GS allowed developers to achieve it via software, so this emulator would recompile it so that the code for transparency is now done by the RSX hardware and thus alleviating the need for huge bandwidth requirements of the old technique.

In any case, this is something Sony wants and even if it doesn't make it this generation it'll be here for next generation seeing as how powerful nostalgia is and the willingness of consumers to re-buy games of yesteryear.

From neogaf:

Originally Posted by SamBishop:
Well hi, there, buddy!

Just to add fuel to fire, the EE and GS were combined onto one chip a while ago. A long while ago. I'm fighting the urge to scream "retribution" because all I ever got was word from someone else about it happening, but I trust this person. And I gotta kinda feel a little hopeful that he wasn't feeding me shit. He's been right on so many other things, but I can't help but feel like my comments before ride on this -- or rather the byproduct of it.

[edit] And to my mind, this isn't any kind of real confirmation of anything beyond the idea that anything with a CELL (like, maybe a TV) could both decode HD video like a fat guy attacking a 12-stack of pancakes and play "old-school" PS2 games not so small as to make the idea of downloading them to a tee vee on a local network (like, say, a replacement for those hotel TVs) a possibility.

Still not seeing it as confirmation of what I've heard, but I do see it as a further continuation of the best console/library ever made. If you think once the CELL is cheap enough there won't also be PS2 in one, you are as batshit as you likely thing I am sir/madam.

This is confirmation of a PSN PS2 games service in one form or another.

Nobody's real sure exactly what he's rambling about, but it a few things are obvious (ps2 games on PSN, possible ps2 streaming to Bravias). He does kinda hint at the thing we all want in taht and subsequent posts:

Originally Posted by JoJo13:
So, are your sources suggesting a hardware BC solution and not software?

Software. It was always software. I need to check my dates, but I think it was before BC was removed entirely. Regardless, it was software from the start. And most recently lined up with "a slim PS3." So.. fingers crossed...

Here's the crazy Gaf thread on all of this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16486140#post16486140

Carl2291 said:
Soriku said:
:O

But for those who want a BC PS3, there are some 60 GBs on Ebay in the $200 range...

True, but what would you rather have... a nice, new, slim PS3... or an old, bulky PS3?

Still with that?

OT: Ive wanted a PS3 for a long ass time now but even if I had the money I wouldnt buy one until it had b/c. So this is a good thing for me.