By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DO buy Grand Slam Tennis!

Seeing how the thread DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennnis kinda changed from GST is unplayable piece of shit to GST is great if you put in the time to learn the controls. I thought we should stop bumping a thread with a negative title that might mislead some users who don't read the whole thread.

So here's a thread for all things GST. We can talk about our favorite players, play styles, exchange friend codes, setup wi-fi games, give each other tips (like the ever useful: the Wiimote side is the front of the racket).

I'll start things off by telling my experience up to now:

My relationship with the game started pretty rough. I bought it yesterday and I started playing with Wiimote and Motion +, holding the Wiimote wrong and cursing at my player for running to the backhand side while I was preping for a forehand shot. I lost every match I tried 0-3 in the Play now mode. Frustrated I went to the forums and figured out I was playing all wrong.

So this morning, I grabbed my Wiimote and Motion+ right and added the nunchuck and all my complains went away. I even won a quick Play now match 4-2. Now I can't wait to play more and get better and hop online.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Keypoint to make people learn this game much easier is know that the side of the Wii remote is front of the racket.

It took me 3 hrs to notice that and play more effectively. XD

I didn't use Nunchuck to play because i want to make a full swing in each hit, which make me feel like playing real tennis. XD

But i think that if you want to win in online mode, nunchuck is required. :D

I hope Ninty will make wireless nunchuck that able to use with M+ soon. X)

Good point. BUY THIS GAME IF YOU LIKE TENNIS~!

@Madanial: Maybe it's because I don't have the good instincts yet but sometimes without the nunchuck, my player would run to weird places screwing up my shots so I decided to go with the nunchuck to be sure of where my player would end up.

Signature goes here!

I enjoy playing this game. I'm on the easy difficulty right now, and I got my first career grand slam. I'm finding that I tend to win when I serve, and I win about 60-70% of the time when the AI serves (although, most of these are usually close as opposed to when I serve).

I tried playing in normal mode and I barely squeaked out a win. I think I have to practice locating the ball some more in easy mode.......the normal difficulty AI seemed to return almost everything that woulda netted me a point on easy.

Also, does anyone else really, really like the drop shot? It's the type of shot I use the most.

Around the Network

You have to learn mixing drop shot and lop shot together to control your opponents' movement if you playing with normal AI (And real player), they play almost like real pro tennis players.(Like, 40% compare to real ones.)

Mostly they strict with style that were programmed, if you know those players' weakness then you will have higher chance to win.(read they profile before entering the match, that will help you a lot.)

But they sometimes they also change the style to fool us too. :3

For me hardest opponent is Songha, he really good at drop&lop shots.I hardly read his movement at all. X(

I just lost to Sakamoto(Sakemoto?) 3-5, I hope play few more hrs will give me some winning soon. :O

So many great games to buy, I wish I could have them all!

I think I'm going to follow somebody else's plan: Buy a cheap used copy from somebody who couldn't hack the learning curve on this game.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

My copy should be coming today - so a few things to iron out:

-I Should start on easy

-Should I start playing with the nunchuk or get used to (losing with...) Wiimote+ M+ first, then add the nunchuk, as starting with it would be too confusing?

- Steer well clear of online until I've had some offline wins

Right? I'm a bit nervous that something I spent £40 on is going to whip my arse every which way to be honest.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Wiped said:
My copy should be coming today - so a few things to iron out:

-I Should start on easy

-Should I start playing with the nunchuk or get used to (losing with...) Wiimote+ M+ first, then add the nunchuk, as starting with it would be too confusing?

- Steer well clear of online until I've had some offline wins

Right? I'm a bit nervous that something I spent £40 on is going to whip my arse every which way to be honest.

In the Gametrailers review they gave some good advice with regards to using the nunchuk. They say you can have a good game without it, but you absolutely must choose a character with good run speed. So create or select a fast runner and you can practice your swings without a cable tripping you up.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

This game is a huge HUGE surprise to me. Addictive, good implementation of WM+ (it can get better in future releases). The only thing not good is the character animation (sometimes it reminds me of the avatar in Natal presentation). But the response to our movements is perfect.

Everyone, go get it!!!