By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Retailers Demand PSP Price Drop

Louie said: Death2009 said: Alacrist said: It's selling ok but retailers what something that's going to sell great, think about they need all the space they can get with the DS,PS3,Wii, and the 360, because they are all selling better. The psp outsold the PS3 last month. Check the numbers. Jupp, that´s true but the PS3 didn´t sell well in February either... the problem is that the less selling system often has shorter legs than the better selling one. So if DS and PSP numbers both go down in a year or so developers will focus on DS maybe...
As long as they can sell games they will work for the psp. No matter what nintendo fanboys want, it ain't going anywhere and nintendo has longterm comp there. Finally, handhelds needed it.

Around the Network

Death2009 said: Louie said: Death2009 said: Alacrist said: It's selling ok but retailers what something that's going to sell great, think about they need all the space they can get with the DS,PS3,Wii, and the 360, because they are all selling better. The psp outsold the PS3 last month. Check the numbers. Jupp, that´s true but the PS3 didn´t sell well in February either... the problem is that the less selling system often has shorter legs than the better selling one. So if DS and PSP numbers both go down in a year or so developers will focus on DS maybe... As long as they can sell games they will work for the psp. No matter what nintendo fanboys want, it ain't going anywhere and nintendo has longterm comp there. Finally, handhelds needed it.
Oh my god why am I a fanboy now? Look at vgcharts, the less selling system always has smaller legs... that´s what I meant. It was an expectation not a "OMG the DS will own the PSP!" or was it? that´s not the way I´d like to talk in this forum...really not. That´s not discussion anymore that´s just a fanboy war...

I have a feeling it's not so much hardware as software that retailers are on about. PSP is basically at about 1/2 the user base of the DS which is great, any developer could confidently make for that right? Obviously not, for developers hardware sales only matter so much if the software doesn't move. system month monthly sales cumulative sales PSP Feb 07 1,023,000 29,861,000 DS Feb 07 1,974,250 42,076,000 a little more then 12,000,000 units of software moved by DS over PSP in America system week weekly sales cumulative PSP 03/11/07 109,750 10,853,750 DS 03/11/07 789,250 61,522,000 just under 51,000,000 more units of software moved by DS over PSP in Japan for Europe.. I don't know sorry. in any event given these numbers if I was a developer I'd make 5 games for the DS and put 1 or 2 on the PSP and cross my fingers. As far as hardware the difference is 18,000,000 or so in DS's favor as far as software... it's probably closer to 55,000,000 - 70,000,000 in DS's favor..

Death2009 said: Louie said: Death2009 said: Alacrist said: It's selling ok but retailers what something that's going to sell great, think about they need all the space they can get with the DS,PS3,Wii, and the 360, because they are all selling better. The psp outsold the PS3 last month. Check the numbers. Jupp, that´s true but the PS3 didn´t sell well in February either... the problem is that the less selling system often has shorter legs than the better selling one. So if DS and PSP numbers both go down in a year or so developers will focus on DS maybe... As long as they can sell games they will work for the psp. No matter what nintendo fanboys want, it ain't going anywhere and nintendo has longterm comp there. Finally, handhelds needed it.
lol. Are you calling Louie a fanboy??? I hate it when people throw that term around. Can we ban the word "fanboy" from the forums...

One thing to consider is that in September Sony announced that (something like) 22 Million PSPs were shipped worldwide and currently VGCharts has the number of PSP systems sold at 20.75 Million ... Now I suspect that Sony has continued to ship as many units as they can get away with so many retailers have full inventory and Sony is (probably) trying to ship more. Retailers (generally speaking) don't like having large inventories of products that will last them 1 or 2 years (at current sales) because it costs them money and takes space away from products that are in demand.

Around the Network

Death2009 said: The psp outsold the PS3 last month. Check the numbers.
That's not exactly saying very much. So did the GBA on hardware, and so did every single other console for software.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

If they cut the price the PSP would do even better .

By the way ,seeing as it sells about as much as the X360 and it wastes much less shelves space do you think retailers will force Microsoft to price cut the X360 as well ?? I am a bit tired of all these fake news ....

Diomedes1976 said: By the way ,seeing as it sells about as much as the X360 and it wastes much less shelves space do you think retailers will force Microsoft to price cut the X360 as well ?? I am a bit tired of all these fake news ....
No because people actually buy games for the Xbox 360. Retailers don't make much money on hardware, they make it all on games and accessories. The Xbox 360 sells a helluva lot of both, the PSP, not so much.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. -Mark Twain

2004 Lincoln LSV8 - ~$15,000

K&N Cold Air Intake - $300

Handheld ECU Reprogrammer - $400

The look on a ricer's face when they get their ass beat off the line by a Lincoln - Priceless

Sintinel said: No because people actually buy games for the Xbox 360. Retailers don't make much money on hardware, they make it all on games and accessories. The Xbox 360 sells a helluva lot of both, the PSP, not so much.
Actually Microsoft doesn't make any money on Xbox360 but it isn't a problem with such impressive software sale. Each PS2 brings extra 8 $ for sony, probably PSP is also profitable. BTW in USA PSP is selling better than PS1, Xbox360 and ... DS (if we will count first 2 years period). Check this stuff. If we will assume a 5 years lifespan - PSP can reach solid 40 millions worldwide.