By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Activision threatens to "stop supporting" Sony consoles.

Smashed said:
Aiemond said:
Smashed said:
Lol!
I still laugh at this asshat, somebody shut this guy up, please? Lol.
God forbid this ever happens, Activision won't just be shooting themselves in the foot, they would blow their entire leg off.

Was just waiting for you to come here and make a useless comment that had no backup. Sony needs activision more than activision needs sony right now.

@WereKitten: I don't know, I gave some examples already, but its activision that has all the numbers. They won't do it if they think they will lose money, but I am suspecting they already have ideas and figures for pulling out.

So much for backup.

Which I had provided in post after post in this thread already. I said why. In great detail.

@JEDE3: They are not going to lose money. The reason they woudl do this is because they think they can use the money for ps3 projects to make other things that would be more profitable. They are not just going to do it for shits and giggles.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Around the Network

Yeah right, they know they can't thats why they haven't already done it.

HappySqurriel said:
Ail said:
jahheim said:
i'm neutral on bobby, but to say that he hasn't left his mark on activision or the video game industry would be a stretch.. he bought atvi when it was doing under $100mm sales and turned it into the largest 3rd party developer.. and you can say "aside from CoD and GH" but why would you discount 2 of the most successful franchises ever? The fact that the other titles haven't performed as well on a relative basis shouldn't take away from that success.
i also think it's wrong to judge him necessarily on development of the games, clearly he is not sitting in front of a computer programming and drawing art, but he's clearly done a pretty good job of rounding up talented developers and the merger with vivendi i would say is nothing short of a financial success.
i agree that blizzard operates pretty independently within atvi but mike morhaime and bobby are always on the road together so its not like its 2 separate companies
in terms of what bobby has claims on.. its a lot more than i could ever hope to have but i guess that depends on your viewpoitn
and nobody operates their business purely on an roi basis.. thats like saying you'd rather do $1 of sales if you can get 90% margin instead of $100 of sales with 40% margin.. you can operate your biz for RIO's but i'll take the $40 over the $0.90 any day..

I know the ROI thingy, that is why the threat of pulling away from PS3 based on ROI seem so stupid....

Except, of course, it is unlikely that Activision-Blizzard would reduce their investments they would just put them towards different platfoms that have higher ROI; which would translate into more profit off of the same investment.

You seem to be one of the very few posters who understand this concept. It's very apparent which posters have the least business sense or core comprehension of how businesses select which projects to engage.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

@jcp234: There are many posters who understand it, most of them are probably just too tired of saying the same crap over and over ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

That's crazy, didn't they hear? PS3 sales are WOW!

Around the Network
jcp234 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Except, of course, it is unlikely that Activision-Blizzard would reduce their investments they would just put them towards different platfoms that have higher ROI; which would translate into more profit off of the same investment.

You seem to be one of the very few posters who understand this concept. It's very apparent which posters have the least business sense or core comprehension of how businesses select which projects to engage.

Except there's a concept called over-saturation, in which monies redirected from PS3/PSP projects and funneled to 360/PC would create too many releases in a given time period.

Activision's successful console series are GH and CoD.  What are they going to do, give up on the PS sales of those series and make more different GH releases for 360?  Laughable to think they'll make the same amount of money; they'd make far less.  CoD, same; they'd have to make a whole new game instead of just creating a PS version of the same game.  It would be less profitable.  Activision is impotently grousing, here.

NJ5 said:
@jcp234: There are many posters who understand it, most of them are probably just too tired of saying the same crap over and over ;)

LOL You're probably right. I see where you're going with that.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
jcp234 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Except there's a concept called over-saturation, in which monies redirected from PS3/PSP projects and funneled to 360/PC would create too many releases in a given time period.

Activision's successful console series are GH and CoD.  What are they going to do, give up on the PS sales of those series and make more different GH releases for 360?  Laughable to think they'll make the same amount of money; they'd make far less.  CoD, same; they'd have to make a whole new game instead of just creating a PS version of the same game.  It would be less profitable.  Activision is impotently grousing, here.

Or they could spend more money on a project for more polish and such. But would that translate in more sales? Probablly not. Which would mean less profit on the 360 games.

Face it jcp most people get it just not everyone is doom and gloom for sony

WereKitten said:

What are Activision's current "PS3 projects"? Certainly they are not exclusives, thus it's only multiplatform games we're talking about.

Can you think of another investment that has higher ROI than putting money into developing a PC/360 game for the PS3 as well? I've tried, but...

• It's not another PC/360 game, because extending the first game for the PS3 would cost less than that relatively to the expected sales.
  • It can't be an exclusive (either PC/360/Wii) because they generally have lower ROI.
  • Could it be making it a PC/360/Wii game? I doubt the costs of adapting a 360/PC game to the Wii would be lower, because it would require a lot more trimming and shoehorning, plus lower revenue per copy because of the final price. Wii sales numbers I don't think could exceed those of the PS3 - at least for the kind of games you also develop on 360 and PC.

Any ideas?

The only scenarios I can think of are:

1. Cheaper and riskier development, essentially trying new things, so with a risky investment they may feel better not spending as much money on the game and focusing on a console with a higher U.S. Install base where there is the greatest concentric market of people speaking the same language.

2. Engine development for Direct X 11 (Tessellation, Compute shaders etc so very PC centric development), they may need to produce at least one game for the new technology if they want to target it. Direct X 11 is about as significant going forward to games development as Direct X 9 was.

Tease.