By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Official Mass Effect 2 Thread

Destroyer_of_knights said:
Apparently Mass Effect 2 runs at 576p....another sub-HD game, infact it's exactly at SD resolution, which is a drop from Mass effect 1 which was 720p x2AA.

I just wonder what happened, if true, here's the link from a mode in beyond3d forum, these guys are usual on the money when it comes to native rendered resolutions, to take it as you will.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1321344&postcount=708

That looks darn good for a sub HD game!

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Well Halo 3 ran at sub HD and it still has probably the best lighting of this generation to date.

On top of that, Mass Effect 2 is a genuine contender for best character models in existence.

That said, the main thing is they fix the frame rate and pop-in issues from the first game.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

heruamon said:
Apparently Mass Effect 2 runs at 576p....another sub-HD game, infact it's exactly at SD resolution, which is a drop from Mass effect 1 which was 720p x2AA.

I just wonder what happened, if true, here's the link from a mode in beyond3d forum, these guys are usual on the money when it comes to native rendered resolutions, to take it as you will.

most likely it'll have 4xAA.

The freed GPU resources are going to good use, their cranking up the polygon count to make characters as detailed as possible, but as some one else said, the frame rate and poppin better be fixed, otherwise the sacrifice isn't worth it, and man that would be such a shit storm that it will cause events from the movie 2012 to happen.

Still, as a HD console owner, I feel gipt when any game is released as sub-HD, it's even worse when their actually at 576p which IS SD resolution in Europe and Australia...at least one thing is for sure, it'll put a death to the thoughts that some wii fanboys have, some beleive that the wii is able to give HD like image quality but at SD resolution....this game so far disproves that 110%.

heruamon said:

The freed GPU resources are going to good use, their cranking up the polygon count to make characters as detailed as possible, but as some one else said, the frame rate and poppin better be fixed, otherwise the sacrifice isn't worth it, and man that would be such a shit storm that it will cause events from the movie 2012 to happen.

Still, as a HD console owner, I feel gipt when any game is released as sub-HD, it's even worse when their actually at 576p which IS SD resolution in Europe and Australia...at least one thing is for sure, it'll put a death to the thoughts that some wii fanboys have, some beleive that the wii is able to give HD like image quality but at SD resolution....this game so far disproves that 110%.

Well Halo 3 looked great, so no complaints from me.

However I found another article that says the screenshots of Mass Effect 2 are 1600x900, but then downscaled to 1280x720. The 360 frame buffer used for taking the screenshots will output the image in 720p. NOT 1600x900.

It's well worth reading the article.

My opnion is until Bioware allow someone to capture direct feed footage of a demo, then we cant know the res for sure. But all indications from the screenshots are it will be 720p. But the screenies were taken originally in 1600x900. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-media-manipulation-article?page=2

selnor said:
heruamon said:

However I found another article that says the screenshots of Mass Effect 2 are 1600x900, but then downscaled to 1280x720. The 360 frame buffer used for taking the screenshots will output the image in 720p. NOT 1600x900.

My opnion is until Bioware allow someone to capture direct feed footage of a demo, then we cant know the res for sure. But all indications from the screenshots are it will be 720p. But the screenies were taken originally in 1600x900. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-media-manipulation-article?page=2

yeah read that, but that article is about 'Bullshots' that the media use to advertise a game, not the native res of a games, which is what the guy that I linked to was saying.

so most likely it'll be 576p x4AA then upscaled to 720p and displayed on your tv.

Around the Network
selnor said:
heruamon said:

yeah read that, but that article is about 'Bullshots' that the media use to advertise a game, not the native res of a games, which is what the guy that I linked to was saying.

so most likely it'll be 576p x4AA then upscaled to 720p and displayed on your tv.

I'm really wondering how they can see that with a few screenshots...

Truth does not fear investigation

NightAntilli said:
selnor said:
heruamon said:

I'm really wondering how they can see that with a few screenshots...

Beyond3d cant know until a demo comes out or the actual game. The screenshots have all been downscaled, so they are wrong if they are going of screenshots. But I'm sure when the game releases they will do a direct feed capture.

Yeah i guess so. The link to the guy who said that thing about that resolution, linked to some wallpapers and screenshots.

If you click on the link there, he's implying that by looking at the screenshot, he knows the native resolution, which imo is very weird.

Truth does not fear investigation

NightAntilli said:
Yeah i guess so. The link to the guy who said that thing about that resolution, linked to some wallpapers and screenshots.

If you click on the link there, he's implying that by looking at the screenshot, he knows the native resolution, which imo is very weird.

Well if he knows the native res, he would know they were captured at 1600x900 and downscaled to 1280x720. So he's wrong about the native res of the screenies to. See Manipulation "Bullshots" thread for the native res on latest ME2 screenshots. 

selnor said:
NightAntilli said:

Well if he knows the native res, he would know they were captured at 1600x900 and downscaled to 1280x720. So he's wrong about the native res of the screenies to. See Manipulation "Bullshots" thread for the native res on latest ME2 screenshots. 

Look I don't claim to know how they do it, cuz it's got to do with pixel counting, then some maths....and normally I would disregard this till final game came out, but I've been following this forum, and have seem forum members work their magic and determine render rez from demos, and gameplay pictures even when upscaled.

There have been cases where developers have even confirmed this....Haze, halo 3, and Ghostbusters were three of these developers that have admitted to it but only try save face by pointing out what they could do better because of the lower rez, there has also been many many more games which they have determined the native rez, thus far they have not been wrong.

So given all of this, It's hard not to believe them, especially when they haven't been wrong thus far.

Aslo, there are some of them that work for Eurogamer, so take this as you will.