By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Three Wii games you should be really cautious about. (MH3,Muramasa,Fragile)

I'll look into all of them regardless. Particularly Fragile.

I thought about this before, when these three games were being put into JRPG lists whenever Benga hears someone mention a lack of JRPG's on the Wii. I think Muramasa actually has the strongest argument for it being a JRPG, but I still don't think it really is. Or atleast if you go into it expecting an RPG you'll probably be disappointed.

Around the Network
thekitchensink said:
They all look like great games--especially Fragile

What's a 'game drought'?

Something that picky bitches who don't like to broaden their gaming horizons suffer from.

I approve of this thread. I hope it opens some eyes so that people aren't confused as to what's on offer here. I definitely want at least two of these games already.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

From Play Magazine May 2009 pg. 65

Fragile: Redefining the "funiki game"
by Dai Kohama

"Ruins -- buildings bereft of human life, softly crumbling to dust. Abandoned urban spaces may provoke feelings of fear and sadness, but stepping inside them can be an oddly serene experience. Bandai Namco's Wii "RPG", Fragile, takes its inspiration from such spaces, eliciting the mystique and romance inherent in modern ruins.

"Fragile begins on a dying, near-future Earth, its inhabitants decimated by an unexplained catastrophe. All that remains are spirits wandering amidst decaying urban landscapes, as the forests gradually reclaim the land. The handful of humans that still live travel from place to place, searching for other survivors.

"At the end of a brief summer, a boy named Seto buries his grandfather, the only other person he has ever known. Seto finds a letter from his grandfather that night, bidding that he travel in the direction the sun rises, where a giant radio tower can be seen in the distance. "You may find other people there", suggests the letter -- the only clue the boy has. With nothing else to do but slowly starve, Seto heads east.

"Fragile is a work by Kentaro Kawashima, an unsung master of the "funiki game" -- a Japanese term for games that present such a compelling ambience, or funiki, that gameplay becomes a secondary consideration. Kawashima's previous games include 7 and Venus & Braves, both cult-hit, Japan-only Playstation 2 RPGs. For Fragile, his team oversaw game design and art direction, but hard development was handled by tri-crescendo, a name you may recognize from Eternal Sonata on Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Like that title, Fragile is an aesthetically beautiful game, but one that has considerable gameplay problems.

"I had hoped direction from an experienced team like Kawashima's might result in a quality game experience, but it was not to be. I'm a big fan of Fragile, but I have to admit the core gameplay is a disappointment. When regarded as a funiki game, however, it almost doesn't matter. Eternal Sonata may have been pretty, but it failed for lack of heart. Fragile, on the other hand, is brimming with it. Part of it is the graphics, certainly -- among the best on Wii -- but mostly it has to do with an intangible something that lies between the deeply human story, melancholy music, and eerie, silent vistas of a ruined Japan.

"What is the actual game like? Any amount of couching a critique in my genuine respect for the game won't help much, so I'll give it to you straight: Imagine a 12 to 15 hour long Silent Hill with no puzzles and laughably easy combat. The only real challenge comes when your weapon randomly breaks, leaving you defenseless. An RPG this is not, despite the genre listed on the box. Instead it's an exercise in third person action mediocrity. Not egregiously bad -- collision and cameras work fine, the Wiimote-as-flashlight device is well implemented -- but tedious. Much like Rule of Rose, another funiki game with absent gameplay and stunning presentation, your enjoyment of Fragile will depend on your ability to tune combat out, concentrating instead on the wonder of immersion in its ruined world.

"The art, story, music, concept and ambience of Fragile are so wonderfull -- and so unprecedented for post apocalyptic Western games like Fallout 3 that emphasize the horror of ruins rather than their beauty -- that I would call it a must play. Despite its tepid, if workmanlike gameplay, I can think of few Japanese Wii games that deserve a Western release more than Fragile."

Since none of the games will have voices in Swedish I won't get any of them.

Wow.........I cant believe those 100+ games are all dubbed in Swedish.

Around the Network

I did knew that about MH3 and muromasa but not about Fragile :O

@Valkyria00: That was sarcasm :p

I just find it funny how some people complains about subtitles...When I was a kid, I had a dictionary while playing to look up words I didn't understand. Luckily, most manuals were translated into Swedish. I remember playing Legend of Zelda II. I didn't understand anything, the manual were in Spanish (for some odd reason, but Spanish and English looked the same at that time), and I was lucky if I got to the first temple.

Just learn to do two things at once dammit...

I looked at the Fragile boxart... And want it so bad... And now!

^Click on cards to level'em up!!!^ =D

twesterm said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Muramasa Only for me.. i know what it is (not an RPG) and i want it a lot!!! :)

@twesterm: do you mean the characters speak japanese with english subs? bummer :(

I used to think Monster Hunter and Fragile were RPGs but i saw gameplay vids i realised that they weren't (long time ago).

i knew nothing about about MH, when i saw MH3 it sounded/seemed pretty nice, but when i saw gameplay of it, it looked really weird, no story, no main characters/party members... it seemed too much like an MMOs or something.

I thought fragile was gonna be nice but the more i saw, the less i wanted it... the combat and shooting looked awful, it turned out to be more of an adventure game (mystery, flashlight). The music was fabulous though <3

Yeah, no English voice track.

And people can sit there and tell me that subtitles don't bother them-- good for you and I don't give a crap.  I hate subtitles.  I really don't care that they don't bother you and you watch anime after anime with subtitles, that's awesome for you, but personally just hate having to read subtitles while watching the movie.  That is my own personal preference and you liking subs and telling me how you like them isn't going to change my mind.

This isn't me just being hard headed, I've tried multiple films and animes with subs and I just don't like reading my movies.

But isn't it more fun if you let me tell you how awesome I am and therefore you could aspire to be just as awesome as me?  Not saying that it's possible, but there's always hope my friend. ^^

I thought the character in MH3 was slow and the attacks were hard to aim, but the visual presentation, variety of content, 4-player online co-op and the quality of the game overwhelms everything else.

I am not interested in any of the other games but MH3 looks like it has a really big potential.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition FC 0025-4434-1221

MSG ME AS YOU ADD.