By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Virtua Tennis 1st reviews coming in

Well looks like finally the first reviews for Virtua Tennis are coming in.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/virtuatennis2009

NGamer UK gave it 88 percent

and Gamers.at gave 81 percent

one bad thing: Gamers.at is actually not talking at all about the wii version and/or motion plus. As it is in German, I must tell you guys, that this is one more example why metacritic is sometimes big bs. The review considers itself multi-platform, but I strongly doubt that the reviewer ever had his hands on the wii-version.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure that other review is not the Wii version. So there's really only... one review.

Which is kind of annoying as many of us are trying to decide whether to go for this or Grand Slam Tennis.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

tuoyo said:
Which is kind of annoying as many of us are trying to decide whether to go for this or Grand Slam Tennis.

The controls in Virtua Tennis are better, so it was not that hard for me

ganondorf7799 said:
tuoyo said:

The controls in Virtua Tennis are better, so it was not that hard for me

Interesting.  It certainly looks better.  Very fast, action packed game play.  If it has better controls then that would tip things towards Virtua Tennis for me. 

At the moment I am definitely leaning more in favour of getting Grand Slam Tennis and would have done so already if not that I popped down to my 24 hour local store at 11pm on Friday and they said they stop selling games at 10pm.  Then went back there the next day and they said they had sold out.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

I have both and Virtua Tennis is the better game.

The controls are better. It has a training area that helps you learn how to do all the controls with Motion+ - something that EA must not have found necessary for some reason...? Yeah, beats me.

Create a player is 100 times better

The matches seem more intense and the players react better- but that just just goes back to the controls, really.

I like the visual style in both games so I can't really comment on that and I haven't played online with either game yet.

Wetcoaster said:

I have both and Virtua Tennis is the better game.

The controls are better. It has a training area that helps you learn how to do all the controls with Motion+ - something that EA must not have found necessary for some reason...? Yeah, beats me.

Create a player is 100 times better

The matches seem more intense and the players react better- but that just just goes back to the controls, really.

I like the visual style in both games so I can't really comment on that and I haven't played online with either game yet.

There was an Amazon user review posted on the Wii Motion Plus review thread which said that it is impossible to defeat the computer in Virtua Tennis using the nunchuck.  DO you agree with this as if that's the case it would ruin the game for me?  Also what do you think of the Virtua Tennis online?  I hear it is pretty rubbish while that of Grand Slam Tennis is quite good.

The swedish gaming magazine Super PLAY gave Virtua Tennis an 8, and Grand Slam a 7.

They found that the Grand Slam controls were a bit too realistic and difficult to handle.

This is invisible text!

Got 1 question, whats the difference between the championships and the regular version ? Any extra content ?

fmc83 said:

As it is in German, I must tell you guys, that this is one more example why metacritic is sometimes big bs. The review considers itself multi-platform, but I strongly doubt that the reviewer ever had his hands on the wii-version.

I thought gamers.at is from Austria...! Austria isn't a part of Germany...