By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Specs of Microsofts next XBox

PS3beats360 said:
No Blu-Ray format for game discs? I tell you this MS would be fools to leave out Blu-Ray in their next system. DVD is a dying format and game developers will not be happy.
DVD holds only 6.8Gb of data per disc. Blu-Ray holds 50Gb per disc.

The Blu-Ray is very very very slow, and that's why you have installation of games in your HD.

Around the Network

Man I hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

I'll be out of the loop for a while!

Hisiru said:
PS3beats360 said:
No Blu-Ray format for game discs? I tell you this MS would be fools to leave out Blu-Ray in their next system. DVD is a dying format and game developers will not be happy.

The Blu-Ray is very very very slow, and that's why you have installation of games in your HD.

But if you have a hard drive...

Second, 'very very very slow' is an overstatement.

Third, PS3 has a 2-speed drive...no reason a newer console couldn't have a faster one, 4-speed or more.

Fourth, Blu-Ray discs hold a lot of data, which is a big deal, and which is set off against all other considerations.

It's about time, I didn't ever believe that "this generation will be longer than usual" BS.

While I think that those specs are 100% made up ...

The technical capabilities of the next generation of console's is very unimportant because we have hit a point where further graphical enhancements are not particularly big selling features. While most people would say they wanted to play videogames that looked like the pre-rendered pixar movies at 1080p, the true difference in sales between most games at Wii level graphics and Pixar level graphics is not that great.

While it is entirely possible that Microsoft would take the same approach they took with the XBox 360, and they could take a similar approach to the Wii, I would expect their next console to fall somewhere in the middle. Most likely it would be fairly close to the price to performance position of the PS2, Dreamcast, N64 or Gamecube where it provides a healthy jump in performance but also can be sold at a very modest price ($300) without taking a large loss on the hardware.

Around the Network

HD-DVD is dead so no I'm not surprised it doesn't use HDDVD.

But no bluray? I don't understand the back compatibility issue since Bluray plays DVDs. Why even upgrade the Specs at all? So games can run in an optional 1080P?

This rumor has been flying around a lot lately mainly because it seems that there is a fundamental flaw in the 360 that keeps RROD from going away and launching a new system is supposedly cheaper then continuing to repair all these systems. But I don't get the Spec upgrade.

And it's funny when people said it was trolling that the PS3 was so "future proof" that it would actually compete with the "720". If this rumor is true then guess what, the trolls were right. And they were also right about the "flamebait" that PS3 would be on the market longer then the 360.

Hisiru said:
PS3beats360 said:

I love the instalations. DVD drive failure is a big problem on the 360. No joke.

NJ5 said:

In 5 years you'll still be saying the PS3 can surpass the newest GPUs.

What a nonsense...

Prove it. I can provide evidence of the *exact* opposite with regard to even currently available GPUs regarding my comments. What I actually stated is very different, I did say the RSX is a great fit for the Cell processor (very little overlap with regard to graphics strongpoints).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Hisiru said:
PS3beats360 said:

But if you have a hard drive...

Second, 'very very very slow' is an overstatement.

Third, PS3 has a 2-speed drive...no reason a newer console couldn't have a faster one, 4-speed or more.

Fourth, Blu-Ray discs hold a lot of data, which is a big deal, and which is set off against all other considerations.

Why? Am I wrong? Microsoft will NOT adopt the Blu-Ray, they probably will try to push a new DVD or something better. If you don't install the game, you will notice a lot of slowdown and other problems, this shows that the Blu-Ray is not perfect and the best that Microsoft can do is try to use something else. Is a good thing that they aren't using the Blu-Ray, this shows that they are thinking about use something better (and I am not talking about the PS3, because the PS3 is a great system, but the Blu-Ray is a crap that only have big space but has a lot of problems, you can kill an elephant with a dog, but it's the right way?).

And sorry for my bad english.

@Edit: And again, this is not trolling, the ps3 is an EXCELENT console.

Hisiru said:
PS3beats360 said:

Not true at all, that's why various of the PS3's technically most impressive games like Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Killzone 2 did no even have an install at all.

It's easy to imagine a PS3 game with a minimal install of a few 100 MBs, streaming all the data on a dual layer Blu-Ray disc within the length of a modern game without any loading interruptions at all (actually in this regard the loading speed of Blu-Ray can even be considered overkill as the entire content can easily be streamed in just a few hours).

Like my earlier example, you could have one huge level continuously streaming in new data taking up the full capacity of a full DL Blu-Ray disc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales