By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii, closing the gap

Wii did what X360 did in twice the time. What is this guy talking about i here you saying?! Sell 6 million units, offcourse 6 Million units sold, PS3 has sold 2.2 million in the same timespan. X360 reached that goal in 12 Months. And the best thing is: Supply is still restrained and always sold out when new stock comes in. So Wii is just picking up speed! Appealing to Hardcore and Mass audience!... Thoughts and suggestions! - When will we destroy X360 in sales?! - Future of Wii's sales!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

of course the 360 was one of the most supply constrained consoles ever launched. But yes, the Wii is smoking it. Largely thanks to strong sales in all three markets. I however, am more interested to see how the two fare in the NA and European markets, where there's an actual competition.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Wii is obviously a huge success story, but the 360 is doing fine. It really looks like it's going to be a 3-horse race this time around, which is actually pretty good news - no big winners, no big losers, everybody gets to play and not feel bad :) That said, Wii sales are on fire, and show no sign of slowing in the immediate future. Overtaking a 10 million console head start is no easy task and shouldn't really be a test of success... the Wii is successful regardless.

It's not at 6 million yet. And this site tries to include sales all the way up to date. The only official way we estimate sales from the US is with NPD reporting which is 1 month behind this site. I guess we will find out tonight sometime. But the Wii has cooled down. 50k a week now in Japan, which is hot still but nothing like the 100,000 a week it was selling. At this point now it's going to be selling about 700k-800k a month I think till the Holidays. (That's worldwide). Which is pretty hot. But we'll have to see if that is sustained. Anyway, there's another thread about this already. Edit: Someone mentioned the supply is still restrained. But I'd beg to differ. The Wii was selling 100k + units in Japan weekly and is now at 50k, there's no way Nintendo is turning down production, in fact, they've said the opposite. Production is ramped up. Also it looks like the US is going to go from 450k to 350k or so in Wii sales. Once again, it's no longer supply constrained, Nintendo has said production is ramped up so if it was selling out and you couldn't get one that number would be higher. I see Wiis consistently now where I am at.

Stromprophet said: It's not at 6 million yet.
Look again. (Numbers probably updated right after you posted.) Also, January was a 5 week month, so Feburary's sales should be lower by about 20% even if daily sales were roughly equal. Wii sales in NA in January: 485,000 485,000 * 4/5 = 388,000 If Feburary sales of Wii in NA reach 388,000, then it sold as many units per day as it did in January.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: It's not at 6 million yet. And this site tries to include sales all the way up to date. The only official way we estimate sales from the US is with NPD reporting which is 1 month behind this site. I guess we will find out tonight sometime. But the Wii has cooled down. 50k a week now in Japan, which is hot still but nothing like the 100,000 a week it was selling. At this point now it's going to be selling about 700k-800k a month I think till the Holidays. (That's worldwide). Which is pretty hot. But we'll have to see if that is sustained. Anyway, there's another thread about this already. Edit: Someone mentioned the supply is still restrained. But I'd beg to differ. The Wii was selling 100k + units in Japan weekly and is now at 50k, there's no way Nintendo is turning down production, in fact, they've said the opposite. Production is ramped up. Also it looks like the US is going to go from 450k to 350k or so in Wii sales. Once again, it's no longer supply constrained, Nintendo has said production is ramped up so if it was selling out and you couldn't get one that number would be higher. I see Wiis consistently now where I am at.
I think it is fair to say that at the end of March in all regions Nintendo will have sold more than 6 Million units; meaning that in a little over 4 months Nintendo sold more units worldwide than Microsoft sold in a year...

Entroper said: Stromprophet said: It's not at 6 million yet. Look again. (Numbers probably updated right after you posted.) Also, January was a 5 week month, so Feburary's sales should be lower by about 20% even if daily sales were roughly equal. Wii sales in NA in January: 485,000 485,000 * 4/5 = 388,000 If Feburary sales of Wii in NA reach 388,000, then it sold as many units per day as it did in January.
I noticed that, but I do believe their numbers for NA are a little high. Anyway 436 is what NPD reported, and YES NPD DOES count Canada, it's displayed on their website. I've even posted it on these boards a long time ago. I guess if you assume Mexico it could have purchase 50,000. 485/31 = 15.64 388/28 = 13.85, not quite the same. Sales are slowing. But that's normal.

everytime I come to this website, which in the past I have really enjoyed, it seems to contain more and more wii fanboys, whose only joy is putting down the 360. The website seems to update the wii much more often than the 360 and while it always gives the 360 the lower end of the estimates it gives the wii the upper end. I don't doubt that the wii will have sold 6 million by the end of march, but to that end I also don't doubt that the 360 is above 10 million. vgcharts is in no way the end all of sales and only the companies themselves know how many they've sold... in fact, when Nintendo announced they had sold 4.5 million vgcharts already had them at 5 million... and posts like this, which are specifically designed to target the 360 and ps3 are silly. I also feel like a lot of people here attack the ps3, although there are an equal number of sony defenders here to follow up the attacks there is little to know damage control for the constant abuse that forum admins and posters do to the 360 here.

eques judicii said: everytime I come to this website, which in the past I have really enjoyed, it seems to contain more and more wii fanboys, whose only joy is putting down the 360. The website seems to update the wii much more often than the 360 and while it always gives the 360 the lower end of the estimates it gives the wii the upper end. I don't doubt that the wii will have sold 6 million by the end of march, but to that end I also don't doubt that the 360 is above 10 million. vgcharts is in no way the end all of sales and only the companies themselves know how many they've sold... in fact, when Nintendo announced they had sold 4.5 million vgcharts already had them at 5 million... and posts like this, which are specifically designed to target the 360 and ps3 are silly. I also feel like a lot of people here attack the ps3, although there are an equal number of sony defenders here to follow up the attacks there is little to know damage control for the constant abuse that forum admins and posters do to the 360 here.
Did you see the guys avatar who posted the info. Of course he might attack another system. If you don't like it don't pay attention to it. There are plenty of neutral or try to be neutral posters here. Fanboys actually only make up a small portion anywhere, but usually post more or get noticed more for insulting.

Stromprophet said: 485/31 = 15.64 388/28 = 13.85, not quite the same.
Right, but this isn't how sales are reported. A fiscal month is exactly 4 weeks or exactly 5 weeks. The fiscal month of January (not the same thing as what we think of as the normal calendar month of January) was exactly 5 weeks, or 35 days. The fiscal month of February will be exactly 4 weeks, or 28 days. So it's 485/35 = 388/28. It's just how businesses measure to make things a little easier to analyze. Eques, if people are attacking the 360, just remember it's because the 360 is winning. It's easy to attack the guy on top, because he only has one way to go, down. 360 is still in the lead by a pretty big margin in NA and Europe (sorry MS, Japan hates you), and they had a hugely successful holiday season even competing with the launches of both the PS3 and the Wii (in fact they were the #1 seller over the holidays).