By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May 2009 NPD Thread (Data at 6:30 PM EST)

darthdevidem01 said:
The more I see these numbers the more SHOCKED I am that, SONY don't really need to drop PS3's price yet, its doing absofrikkinglutely fine!

they can ride out the summer easily

PS3 numbers are rubbish...30k or so a week is awful.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Aj_Habfan

after looking at Xbox 360's sales how can you say Ps3 is doing poor?

It sold over 40,000 less.

Sure it doesn't seem much on it's own, but PS3 is so far behind in install base it can't afford to keep trailing in marketshare like that. I'm not saying they should drop the price if it doesn't make sense profit-wise, but these numbers are nothing to get excited over.

Stop putting words in my mouth, I just said SONY should be in no hurry to drop the price if in a  recession their console which is double the price of xbox 360 is only 40K behind

PS3 can't ever surpass 360's install base in NA ever (thats set in stone now), so think about it logically, SONY's aim must be to ensure profitiability, so delaying a price drop to the holidays instead of the rumored August one is much more sensible

thats all I'm saying

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

may is 4 weeks too....june is 5 weeks...remember....march, june, september and december are 5 five weeks, 3 on 3 months

dolemit3 said:
Aj_habfan said:
gebx said:
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
The more I see these numbers the more SHOCKED I am that, SONY don't really need to drop PS3's price yet, its doing absofrikkinglutely fine!

It's up from last month, but it is still a poor number.

Up from last month.. cause they had an extra week

May was 5 weeks

April was 4 weeks

Never noticed that, very good point.

May was four weeks, not five.

Another good point.

darthdevidem01 said:
I am shocked, ergh people you do realize companie's PAY NPD for those numbers

they aren't gonna "toy around" with them

thats so childish kirby007

Ever notice that crap that goes on the forums when ever ioi adjusts the numbers?

Now imagine companies who pay NPD being told that the numbers they where giving last month were off..

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Aj_Habfan

after looking at Xbox 360's sales how can you say Ps3 is doing poor?

It sold over 40,000 less.

Sure it doesn't seem much on it's own, but PS3 is so far behind in install base it can't afford to keep trailing in marketshare like that. I'm not saying they should drop the price if it doesn't make sense profit-wise, but these numbers are nothing to get excited over.

Stop putting words in my mouth, I just said SONY should be in no hurry to drop the price if in a  recession their console which is double the price of xbox 360 is only 40K behind

PS3 can't ever surpass 360's install base in NA ever (thats set in stone now), so think about it logically, SONY's aim must be to ensure profitiability, so delaying a price drop to the holidays instead of the rumored August one is much more sensible

thats all I'm saying

What words did I put in your mouth? I say don't get excited, that's not a word. You also said, "absofrikkinglutely fine!" That sounds like an excited person, as I can't imagine someone saying that statement out loud in a normal tone.

Star Scream said:
darthdevidem01 said:

PS3 numbers are rubbish...30k or so a week is awful.

awful = PSP numbers not PS3

I am comparing PS3 numbers to xbox 360's & considering the recession.......PS3 is doing FINE, SONY better not risk profits & drop its price in august

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
I am shocked, ergh people you do realize companie's PAY NPD for those numbers

they aren't gonna "toy around" with them

thats so childish kirby007

It's worth noting that while companies do pay NPD for numbers, the numbers posted here aren't the numbers they get paid for...

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

YOY comparison:

May 2008 - May 2009

DS 452.6K - 633.5K    +40%
Wii 675.1K - 289.5K    -57%
PS3 208.7K - 131K      -37%
360 186.6K - 175K       -6%
PSP 182.3K - 100.4K   -45%

Horrible for Wii, PSP, and PS3 - excellent for DS.

dolemit3 said:
Aj_habfan said:
gebx said:
Aj_habfan said:
darthdevidem01 said:

It's up from last month, but it is still a poor number.

Up from last month.. cause they had an extra week

May was 5 weeks

April was 4 weeks

Never noticed that, very good point.

May was four weeks, not five.

May was five weeks, not four.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)