By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo: Metroid Other M needs to break 1.5-2 million copies sold!!

Metroid Other M to sell atleast 1.5 - 2 million units? That’s exactly what Nintendo wants from the title.

In a recent video interview with Gamespot, president of NOA (Nintendo North America), Reggie Fils-Aime states that “Metroid is a key franchise, and in our view really since the Snes Metroid, we havent broken through in terms of 1.5 - 2 millions units. Thats our bar. Thats the scale that we look at to say on a global basis this is effective.”

Reggie goes on to say that Metroid Other M could be the Metroid title that goes on to break that mark with the game going more into the mythology of Samus. From the trailer and the direction they are going with the title we think that estimate may be a good one to have.

http://nintendodpad.com/Welcome/News/Entries/2009/6/11_Nintendo%3A_Metroid_Other_M_needs_to_break_1.5-2_million_copies_sold.html

well they want this to be BIG!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

That's actually just setting the bar right above MP3 which is a good bar to set, you have a more accessible title in the series, making it a bit more action based and looking awesome it could pull in 2 million easy.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

This was the greatest announcement of E3 right here. I have been in love with the series since I was a little kid, but found the controls for MP3 frustrating and the gameplay getting stale.

This fresh look for Metroid is an auto buy. I am very hyped.

Misleading title. Makes it sound like the game needs to seel 1.5-2m to make a profit or something (though it doesnt say that).

Yup, they want to do better than MP3, which is normal.

They want to beat Super Metroid, a Snes game. Just like they beated Mario Kart on the same system

Around the Network
palancas7 said:
Misleading title. Makes it sound like the game needs to seel 1.5-2m to make a profit or something (though it doesnt say that).

Yup, they want to do better than MP3, which is normal.

That's what I gathered from the title as well. "Need" implies a necessity, which in the case of sales would mean profitability. Which then made me wonder how large the budget for the game had to be.

But a goal is what they "want" to sell. Still nice to see though, as it should mean they'll strive to create another great Metroid. And in addition, they'll likely have to give it a bigger marketing campaign.

It will do better, certainly in Japan.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Yeah... the title is a bit misleading, repost it with a new title.

-locking-

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000