By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DO NOT BUY Grand Slam Tennis!

Galaki said:
Have you check if battery is weak?
Calibration?
Options?

batteries are full, no options for calibrations and when i got too frustrated i calibrated the remote on the table , maybe u have to do that much more often maybe after every point or so not sure.

Improvements are caused by people who complain

Around the Network
benoit said:
**Slash** said:

i played only half an hour so far and of course i will play more and try to improve, only from my first impression i was quite disappointed

oh come on! you played the game for only  half an hour and you make a thread crying wolf and bashing the game... way to give the game a chance... May be you should have played it 3-4 hours and then tell us if you sucked or the game still sucks... 'cause right now, there's no way to tell....

dude i play tennis since over 10 years i know how to do the basic mechanics.

i know when i make a backhand and the player makes a forehand instead and vise versa that something is wrong or doesnt recognize my swing at all or too early, i dont need 3-4 hours to realize that sorry

i don't think IGN and so many other sites would have given a score above 8 if it was as broken as you say, and the online match shown on IGN makes the game to seem great, there was nothing wrong

i'm sure it's not perfect, but maybe you need to get used to it

i guess people must forget Wii Sports Tennis, this sounds much different and i hope it's not as bad as Slash says

the sure thing is that this is the wrong launch title for WM+

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

i played only half an hour so far and of course i will play more and try to improve, only from my first impression i was quite disappointed

just 1 hours?? i read the ign rewiew they said that the play 3 hours before they learn the wiimotion plus control.

YES! VBUY VIRTUA TENNIS!

SUPPORT SEGA NOT EA!

EA is an evil corporation that should die

Buy Virtua Tennis!

:)

Sega For Life - Gaming Died When Sega Died ... Sega <3

The nintendo before - ' wii release ' <3
Sega before ' Software Only ' <3

Anti M$ (Therefore anti 360) - im making it official ... Go play your meaningless FPS Games ...

Around the Network

Hmmm so its better to get Virtua Tennis instead?

I read this at Metacritics from NGamer UK about Virtua Tennis,

Most of all "the best tennis controls" kinda does the trick to me.
NGamer UK
What Virtua Tennis lacks in panache or style, it makes up for with substance, including a comprehensive World Tour mode and the best tennis controls on Wii. [July 2009, p.62]

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

*~Onna76~* said:

Hmmm so its better to get Virtua Tennis instead?

I read this at Metacritics from NGamer UK about Virtua Tennis,

Most of all "the best tennis controls" kinda does the trick to me.
NGamer UK
What Virtua Tennis lacks in panache or style, it makes up for with substance, including a comprehensive World Tour mode and the best tennis controls on Wii. [July 2009, p.62]

hm i dont know, i wish i were patient enough to wait for more comparison reviews of virtua tennis but i was leaning towards GST from the start O_o

axumblade said:
This thread is amusing. No matter how many people on here that bought the game say that it isn't really all that good, some people refuse to admit that it could have just been a poorly executed game.

Just a recommendation, get Tiger Woods Golf...or Virtua Tennis (if that uses motion +)

But.. I bought the game :S

I can see the problems but it gets better and better the more time I spend playing it! Beside EA has to have something to improve for next year :P

"In fact, to start with it's a little off-putting as the increased sensitivity to what you're doing with the Wii Remote is totally disorientating. Suddenly your shots are thumping into the net and bouncing way over the tramlines, and to add to the confusion your player is often facing the wrong way thanks to the slightest flick of the Remote in the wrong direction. You serve too weakly, or too long, or miss the ball entirely."

"It's certainly a frustrating introduction to this brave new world of control, but something manages to shine through and keep you hooked long enough to improve your game. It's a rare thing, but even when you're playing badly it feels like you're playing tennis and you'll want to nail it. You're no Henman nearly-man. You're the best, dammit. Or at least you will be once you've figured out how to stop turning your back to the court at inopportune moments."

famousringo said:
**Slash** said:

i'm just too angry right now to make reasonable statements :)

i haven't tried out all the modes and online and that stuff which might be alright, i'm just talking about the controls.

without wm+ u can hit the ball with no problems and also direct the ball where u want but to get slices and top spins right it's worse compared to wii sports tennis.

with wm+ the controls is all over the place nearly no 1v1 tracking, everything with a delay. To get the direction of the ball right is a bitch, slice and top spin work usually alright and r easier to make than without wm+ but ur caracter runs all over the place so that u often stand wrong to the ball and make a wrong and not intended hit or even make a swing to early or no swing at all.

i was expecting much better and more precise controls than this, maybe virtua tennis is beter i dont know, tiger woods 10 definatley is.

I think this is the crux of most control problems with the game. People play with no nunchuk and the auto-run puts them in an awkward position. It sounds like people who play with a nunchuk have a better experience, although managing your swing while navigating your position is a more complicated game than some people want to play.

I've read a lot of the reviews both from critics and users and I think Ringo is right here.   Seems like people who are playing without the nunchuk and wanted Wii Sports Tennis + are very frustrated because the characters run in a logical way to get the ball but not in tune with your swing, so you may be saying backhand but the character in swinging forehand because of his positioning.  They have a better experience without WM+ (since expectations lessen)

People who play with the nunchuk on the other hand virtually don't have this problem because they are positioning themselves and therefore get the shots they are expecting to get.  But if your not used to nunchuk control either this is an even greater learning curve.

I havn't played it yet though, I'm waiting for Virtua reviews so I can compare.