By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 3 Disc Read Errors Rampant

twesterm said:
Even if it were say 10,000 discs were corrupted that's still less 1%. I don't deny that this is a problem that a simple exchanging the disc won't fix, I just think rampant is the wrong word.

what kind of logic is that? Sure, it's 1%, but that's a hell of of people.

if it's considered a 0 problem, then the Iraq war that cost 100,000 people lives. Out of 6 billions, tell me it's not a zero problem

Perhaps a bad comparison but looking at percentage when evaluating doesn't always work. 

Around the Network

Well, these may be a little different, but didn't a number of people on this site (including myself) think that the rampant popularity of Halo 3 would really stress the 360's hardware quality?

Problems with the disks themselves are strange though. 

Galaki said:
twesterm said:
Even if it were say 10,000 discs were corrupted that's still less 1%. I don't deny that this is a problem that a simple exchanging the disc won't fix, I just think rampant is the wrong word.

what kind of logic is that? Sure, it's 1%, but that's a hell of of people.

if it's considered a 0 problem, then the Iraq war that cost 100,000 people lives. Out of 6 billions, tell me it's not a zero problem

Perhaps a bad comparison but looking at percentage when evaluating doesn't always work.

Yeah, you're overreacting just a little bit.  Looking at the percentage tells you it isn't a wide spread problem or a problem with the game, it's just a problem with the printing and a small one at that.  Yes, it does suck to be one of those 10,000 people but it's an acceptable number. 

There's always a failure rate to look at and any company that deals with any electronics, phone calls, whatever has people that looks at failure rates, drop rates, data loss, and determine what's acceptable.  1% isn't a bad thing at all, especially when they've produced several million discs. 

I wonder if anything will happen with my room mates. When we were going through the game menus, we'd hear a grinding like sound for a very brief moment when it loaded up a new menu.

We were still able to play, but it got us both a little worried when we were checking it out.

Other games have pressing issues, its just that with millions of copies sold a few more people are going to have them

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network
sieanr said:
Other games have pressing issues, its just that with millions of copies sold a few more people are going to have them

Well said sieanr.

Actually for me it has been quite a smooth launch even considreing these problems. The perfect thing would be no issues at all, but nothing can be perfect.

IllegalPaladin said:
I wonder if anything will happen with my room mates. When we were going through the game menus, we'd hear a grinding like sound for a very brief moment when it loaded up a new menu.

We were still able to play, but it got us both a little worried when we were checking it out.

There was no grinding for my friend's. It simply didn't load. We turned it off and on and it still didn't load (gave a disc read error). His other games were working fine too (we ended up playing Gears instead), so I know it wasn't a hardware problem and I seriously doubt it was "corrupting his hardware" like some people seem to think. I still believe that one of the companies hired to print the game screwed up.

Galaki ...

Please tell me you didn't just equate scratched discs to human lives.

Christ.

Shrug, human lives cost money and valuable resources that could be used for me! And my offspring! (You know, that's so painfully close to how reality is operating it's not a joke anymore)

Anyhow, if I go to play Halo 3, and my friends disc doesn't work, I'll be upset. If his 360 RROD's (Again), I'll just begin laughing.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

can Microsoft do anything right?