By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Grand Slam Tennis vs Virtua Tennis 09 Wii differences and open questions

GST online is very streamlined, I played about 5 matches "with anyone" It feels just like Madden. WM+ is great, for both, but for GST I didn't feel like what happened on the court was a direct result of my doing. On VT I didn't get to have any online matches, I logged on but couldn't find the option for "with anyone" Controls on VT are great is very much timing based without WM+, with M+ its even more sensitive, but still focused on timing much like Wii Tennis. Visuals are also really fluid on VT. GS has good graphics too, but its kind of like the difference between 1080 snowboarding and snowboard kids.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

@tuoyo: It's still cheaper to get the GST bundle than VT 09 plus WM+ separately. They're just discounting the standalone GST so much that it looks like you don't save money vs the non-bundled games like VT 09.

I guess it depends on the promotions too. As far as RRP goes the bundles are cheaper.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Arius Dion said:
GST online is very streamlined, I played about 5 matches "with anyone" It feels just like Madden. WM+ is great, for both, but for GST I didn't feel like what happened on the court was a direct result of my doing. On VT I didn't get to have any online matches, I logged on but couldn't find the option for "with anyone" Controls on VT are great is very much timing based without WM+, with M+ its even more sensitive, but still focused on timing much like Wii Tennis. Visuals are also really fluid on VT. GS has good graphics too, but its kind of like the difference between 1080 snowboarding and snowboard kids.

So which do you recommend (for those of us that have no intention of buying both)?

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Its a tough call. But at the end of the day me and my friend had more enjoyment from VT. GST is a good tennis game, but it doesn't feel as serious, it has more style and flash, but less substance. Me and my friend played the hell outta Wii Tennis and GS just seemed rather boring. VT had that fast paced, split second decision and precision, GS was more methodical and the shots didn't feel satisfying like I'd be hitting slices 90% of the time and that wasn't my intention. With VT if I hit softly it shows if I hit hard it shows drop shots lobs slices etc. I'm a Tennis fan and play every so often, my brother is ranked nukber 3 in the whole east coast. The presentation feels alittle cheesy on VT and in this aspect GS has it beat. Both good games but I'm feeling VT more.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I checked the neogaf thread and the reactions to the WM+ controls in GST are very positive.

I think I'll be happy with my purchase, but if you want to be really sure I'd wait one more day or two for more reviews and impressions.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
I checked the neogaf thread and the reactions to the WM+ controls in GST are very positive.

I think I'll be happy with my purchase, but if you want to be really sure I'd wait one more day or two for more reviews and impressions.

You'll definitely be happy with it. I don't want to deter you from buying GS, I exchanged GS for VT, but I still might pick up GS again, its a very well put together game. Just more methodical in its gameplay than VT that's really what it comes down to. Which playing style do you prefer? VT is more like Wii Tennis on steroids and character control.

Arius Dion said:
Its a tough call. But at the end of the day me and my friend had more enjoyment from VT. GST is a good tennis game, but it doesn't feel as serious, it has more style and flash, but less substance. Me and my friend played the hell outta Wii Tennis and GS just seemed rather boring. VT had that fast paced, split second decision and precision, GS was more methodical and the shots didn't feel satisfying like I'd be hitting slices 90% of the time and that wasn't my intention. With VT if I hit softly it shows if I hit hard it shows drop shots lobs slices etc. I'm a Tennis fan and play every so often, my brother is ranked nukber 3 in the whole east coast. The presentation feels alittle cheesy on VT and in this aspect GS has it beat. Both good games but I'm feeling VT more.

Lol. Well thanks for confusing things.  I was all certain to get GST and now you throw a spanner into the works.   Now I don't know which to get. 

Think I will do what NJ5 suggested and wait for some more reviews.  Games are only released on Fridays in the UK anyway so I have a few more days to decide.  Will also see if I can find any videos of Virtua Tennis in action.  The video I saw of GST looked quite good.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

I am someone who has some videogame tennis games, and did get Virtua Tennis. I am not sure I am getting the controls. I thought my character would move the racket where I moved myself, but it doesn't seem to map that way. I don't get it. I missed too many shots in practice trying to do it. Maybe I am off.

Tiger Woods seemed to play well for me though.

tuoyo said:
Arius Dion said:

Lol. Well thanks for confusing things.  I was all certain to get GST and now you throw a spanner into the works.   Now I don't know which to get. 

Think I will do what NJ5 suggested and wait for some more reviews.  Games are only released on Fridays in the UK anyway so I have a few more days to decide.  Will also see if I can find any videos of Virtua Tennis in action.  The video I saw of GST looked quite good.

My fault (lol). In all honesty its not a bad situation to be in; Wii has two really good Tennis games and I think you'll enjoy either one you buy. VT is faster paced, much more actually, and the rallies you can get into are sometimes epic. GS is satisfying in its own way, I just didn't feel that same excitement when I played with my friend. All I really wanted was Wii Tennis with character control and M+ VT feels more like that than GS. GS is its own beast; but online was fun as hell.

Arius, in your opinion, which one would offer the best experience to someone used to play tennis? I don't care much for the graphics and licenses, as long as the controls are as close as possible to 1:1.