By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - If MS doesn't come 1st next gen or the gen after , should they pull out ?

As MS targeting Nintendo after Sony is KO, or at least not dangerous anymore, isn't a remote eventuality, maybe Nintendo should hit first, targeting MS when it's still fighting Sony...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
Alby_da_Wolf said:
As MS targeting Nintendo after Sony is KO, or at least not dangerous anymore, isn't a remote eventuality, maybe Nintendo should hit first, targeting MS when it's still fighting Sony...

was the gaming industry always this viscious. I remember people only cared about playing the games and no one was attacking each other about the systems. My friends all had their preferences, some liked the nintendo games, others prefered sony games, and a lot loved the dreamcast when it came it. Each system had its own draw and people enjoyed what they had. I never remembered people attacking each other until the past 2 gen when microsoft entered the market. Maybe its just because the internet wasn't as prevalent then. I don't know.

PSN: Skiptomylou41k

Gamertag: Skiptomylou41k

PS3 Slim/Xbox 360 Short/Wii Black/PS2 Slim/Psp/DS

Cypher1980 said:
Soon the Darkside will be irresistable and will crush the MS rebel scum underfoot.

The Wii owners are like Ewoks. The Evil empire will tolerate them but turn their forest moon into a secret base.

ironman said:
Zkuq said:
Like Nintendo did? :D

All they need to do is make some profit... And keep Sony away from their precious PC business. Actually they don't even need profit, as long as they don't lose too much money, if they can keep Sony from damaging their PC business. After all, that's why they entered the console war. Besides, they've been getting more and more profitable lately.

But I wouldn't mind them pulling out anyway, with their Live fee and all :P I just don't think it's going to happen so easily.

How is Sony's PC business hurting MS? Lets not forget who's OS is on the Sony machines.

Because the goal of the Playstation brand (this is why ken called MS his primary opposition in 1994) is an all in one media box that can be in the living room and can replace the pc. Look at all the additions...it is very PC like. The next iteration, assuming this did well and MS was not a true competitor would be even more so. But, the rules somewhat changed.

If Sony achieved its goal, MS would have less money going in to windows, which is its major cash cow. This is also why MS will spend so much to defeat Sony. Read my post above pls.

@skip: Don't forget sega vs nintendo back in the day. That was heated. If the internet was like it is today it would have been damn brutal.

Now Playing: The Witcher (PC)

Consoles Owned: NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Game Boy, DS

Aiemond said:
ironman said:
Zkuq said:
Like Nintendo did? :D

All they need to do is make some profit... And keep Sony away from their precious PC business. Actually they don't even need profit, as long as they don't lose too much money, if they can keep Sony from damaging their PC business. After all, that's why they entered the console war. Besides, they've been getting more and more profitable lately.

But I wouldn't mind them pulling out anyway, with their Live fee and all :P I just don't think it's going to happen so easily.

How is Sony's PC business hurting MS? Lets not forget who's OS is on the Sony machines.

Because the goal of the Playstation brand (this is why ken called MS his primary opposition in 1994) is an all in one media box that can be in the living room and can replace the pc. Look at all the additions...it is very PC like. The next iteration, assuming this did well and MS was not a true competitor would be even more so. But, the rules somewhat changed.

If Sony achieved its goal, MS would have less money going in to windows, which is its major cash cow. This is also why MS will spend so much to defeat Sony. Read my post above pls.

@skip: Don't forget sega vs nintendo back in the day. That was heated. If the internet was like it is today it would have been damn brutal.

The PS brand is stupid then. Did they really think that, even if they did create a machine that looked like it could replace the PC., they would be able to sell enough to threaten MS? Also, did they relly think MS would stand idly by and let them do that? It's bad business and just goes to show how arrogant Sony is. However, that being said, as long as that arrogance doesn't effect me, and they continue to sell decent consumer level products, I most certainly will not shy away from them. (hey I had a sony walkman CD played that got dropped in water twice, got thrown around, and still worked.) Hoever, I don't see this same mentality from many on the Sony side.  This thread adequetly proves my point. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Aiemond said:
skiptomylou41k said:
@Aiemond

microsoft is aiming at consoles in general, while it seems like a conspiracy theory, the dismissal of all consoles is their end goal

I would agree that they would like to see the end of all consoles and make it strictly PC only gaming, but the amount of losses they will take achieving this goal diminishes as the threat to windows grows less. So, to defeat Sony they would take losses far higher than they would take to defeat Nintendo. Now, if Nintendo became a true threat to windows for some reason, they would allow losses to stop them.

Do you guys even think what you write?

Microsoft (just like Nintendo and Sony) gets a cut from every 360 game sold. They don't get a cut from PC game sales. 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network
skiptomylou41k said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Not losing by much is the new winning, I see.

That meme reeks of desesperation =/

you can say what you want, but i never said anything about sony winning or losing, and frankly i don't really care, but it just seems to me you can't count sony outjuet yet

That meme is the new thought stopper used by the fanboy cult so it's easier to look at the sales data.

"But but it isn't being outsold by much!" 

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

They did make a profit, but you forget that they lowered the price of the 360 this christmas, which means that they sold a lot but they also lost more money. Microsoft should try to take on the casual side.

Why is being in first so important?

I guess if you really think being in first is so important you can at least say it's in first right now for the HD consoles and will remain that way

twesterm said:

Why is being in first so important?

I guess if you really think being in first is so important you can at least say it's in first right now for the HD consoles and will remain that way

Being first equals success! you would not like to come last in a race right?

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

rafichamp said:
They did make a profit, but you forget that they lowered the price of the 360 this christmas, which means that they sold a lot but they also lost more money. Microsoft should try to take on the casual side.

you have no idea how the market works my friend. The 360 has covered the dev costs by now, so the 360 costs less to produce. Also, sell more consoles, sell more games. You may get less for the console, but if you sell more, you recover anything lost, also if you are getting a cut of the game profits, it makes sence that you would want to get more consoles in more houses so people will buy more of your games.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!