By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is there really such a thing as system selling games anymore?

Ok first to try to define "system seller". My simplistic and amateurish view is that a system seller is a game which causes a significant (30%+, 40%+ 100%?) sales spike in the week it's released, and possibly for a week or 2 thereafter.

Been reading a thread or two where people are a bit down on the lack of hardware push inFamous had, where others have wondered why on earth anyone would think inFamous would increase hardware sales. And I got to thinking: Are there any games yet to be released that are going to really cause major upsurge in hardware sales?

At this point in all 3 console's lifecycles are there really so many people who are seriously committed to gaming that have not already bought into this generation? For 360 maybe, though since 360 has already outsold XB there is basically no one left from the XB generation waiting to get into the 360 for well loved 360 franchises to push hardware. For Wii, there is really no reason why fans of some beloved and anticipated Nintendo games should still be waiting to get into the Wii. For PS3 it's arguable that there are still a lot of people who love some PS/PS2 franchises who are holding out and waiting to buy. But are they waiting for their #1 game or are they waiting for that elusive price cut?

People are saying Halo ODST will move 360s. Will it? Surely everyone who's into Halo already has a 360 and they are playing Halo 3. Who's left to buy 360s when ODST comes out? Or will 360 owners also upgrade their current 360 to a new 360, but even if they do will that be in numbers big enough to be a big sales spike?

People are saying MW2 will move systems. Really? Aren't there already plenty of COD fans in this generation? How many gamers have held out this long waiting for MW2 when current COD games are critical and sales successes?

How many Zelda and Metroid fans haven't already got their Wii?

PS3 fans are claiming GoWIII (not to be confused with GoW3, surely this is an acceptable means to differentiate these games with the same acronym) as a major system seller, I don't see it. As good as it is, more people own a PS3 than the number of people who bought GoWI & II combined. How many GoW fans are here on this site who haven't got a PS3 and are waiting till GoWII to get one? very few I'd wager.

Now we come to the big 2: GT5 and FFXIII. Are people holding out on buying PS3 (GT5) or PS360 until one or other of these games arrives? I think these 2 games might move systems, FFXIII especially in Japan.

Sure I think all the games (and others) mentioned above will cause an uptick in sales on the week they're released. Basically any new game with reasonable advertising support leads to a HW sales increase (you could argue that inFamous was partly responsible for the PS3 increase last week), so in that respect all new major release titles are system sellers. But I'm talking about system sellers that truly wow the analysts and have a seismic effect on the charts. Are there really any games that will do this for any of the 3 home consoles?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Mario Kart Wii

I'll also throw in EA Sports Active since that looks like it is going to continue in the footsteps of Wii Fit.

EDIT AGAIN: Monster Hunter 3 and Dragon Quest IX are both potential hardware movers. Monster Hunter 2nd G (or whatever one it was) moved a lot of PSP hardware.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

*coughs*

Brain Age, Nintendogs, Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort (trust me Wii Motion Plus along with this WILL move hardware), Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii/DS, EA Sports Active (gave Wii hardware a bump, perhaps not big enough by your definition), DQIX, Monster Hunter 3 tri~

I'm sure there is plenty more.. but anyway yeah.. I see what you mean, especially on the HD side of things but then even they have things like GT5 and FFXIII coming

I second that. Wii Sports/ Fit (most likely also Sports Resort and Wii Fit +) and Mario Kart Wii has been systemsellers.
Perhaps Super Mario Bros Wii will be a systemseller this christmas, at least in Japan where they LOVE 2d marios.

Wii has been really blessed with systemsellers so far hasn´t it?

Brain Training. I know 4 people who bought a DS just for that game.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

There are system selling games, but system selling games don't work (and have never worked) like many people expect them to ...

When most people talk about system selling games they're expecting a game release to have a very large initial boost to hardware sales, with a noticeable sustained boost from then on. It is not unusual to hear claims from people that the release of a game (like Final Fantasy XIII) will cause millions of people in one region to buy a system.

How system sellers actually work is that when a game is announced for a system (exclusive or not) people will factor in the release of that game into how appealing a console is, and for months/years in advance there can be a slight boost in hardware sales. Upon the release of the game there is an initial hardware boost but it is almost never as big as people expect, and soon after the release of game (a couple of months) if there isn't a new "System Selling" game on the horizon sales of the console will actually be reduced.

GTA, HALO, GT, Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

I say a true system seller will continue to make the top 20 or so after it's been out 50 weeks.

Wii Sports (Yes it's bundled, Japan proves it is without bundle)
Wii Fit (hmm, bb bundle)
Mario Kart Wii (plastic wheel bundle)
Wii Play (really a controller seller)
New Super Mario Bros (DS)
Mario Kart DS
Professor Layton and the Curios Village (DS)
Nintendogs (DS)
Brainage (DS)

Have to look further down the list for 360/PS3 as they don't sell as many systems, but for 360 you have:
Halo 3
Call of Duty 4
KungFu panda (bundle), GTA IV, and Lego Indiana Jones (bundle) are close

Playstation 3
Call of Duty 4
GTA IV

Wii also has: (in addition to above, lowering to standard for 360/PS3 above)
Lego Star Wars
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
Link's Crossbow Training (bundles with a bit of plastic)
Guitar Hero III (guitar bundle)
Super Smash Bros Brawl

The 360/PS3 has relatively few true system sellers compared to the Wii, and half the ones they do have are multi platform.

If a game can't continue to sell well after a year and it's all front loaded it's not really a system seller IMHO, just a popular (at the time) game.

i think the black wii/munster hunter tri bundle will sell well

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

@darkheart709: I agree, that will be a system seller, at least in Japan.