By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sales need to increase by 45% in the rest of the year...

HappySqurriel said:
Million said:
Squilliam said:
The PS3 is going to go seriously downwards YOY for the month of June, I would say the task may be impossible even with a $100 price cut and GT5.

Bull , there is clearly more demand for the PS3 than there is the 360 , this is evident with the PS3 being able to sell within range of the 360 with a serious price disadvantage. GT5 is the biggest simulation racing game on any platform and PS3 sales improve substantialy with every price cut , a price cut in our economic conditions make a price cut much more neccasery.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the only reason that the PS3 has been able to stay within a similar sales range as the XBox 360 is because Microsoft has been unable to make inroads into the Japaneese market?

While I don't agree with Million's sentiment, I do believe he speaks in terms of WW weekly sales, where the PS3 had its peak in Japan, selling at 13k or so, around its best time, more units than the 360, and when when taken into the context of the worldwide numbers, 13k is not really that much.

I'm not saying Japan is not of importance, but it's certainly not that important.

EDIT: Actually, I want to expand on that.

Currently, the gap between the 360 and PS3 WW weekly are shrinking, with the two being closer and closer. All while the PS3 sales in Japan have been lowering, meaning the importance Japan had for the PS3 is currently even more insignificant than before, and the PS3 still holds up.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Million said:
Squilliam said:
The PS3 is going to go seriously downwards YOY for the month of June, I would say the task may be impossible even with a $100 price cut and GT5.

Bull , there is clearly more demand for the PS3 than there is the 360 , this is evident with the PS3 being able to sell within range of the 360 with a serious price disadvantage. GT5 is the biggest simulation racing game on any platform and PS3 sales improve substantialy with every price cut , a price cut in our economic conditions make a price cut much more neccasery.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that the only reason that the PS3 has been able to stay within a similar sales range as the XBox 360 is because Microsoft has been unable to make inroads into the Japaneese market?

You could also say it otherwise 

bigdom2786 said:

.8 in 1 months is not bad..... Now lets look here..
lets say it keeps this track til October.....that 4 million... now add a possible 5-6 during the Holiday season.....9-10 million. Now add 1 million cuz of FFXIII releasing in Japan...10.4-11.4 million by the end of this year.

If either FFXIII, God of War3 or GT5 releases before the end of February ( or a combination of some kind) then Sony's in the clear...

Update: just realized it's a month not 2 .

It's 0.8 million in 2 months, not one. April and May. If by holiday season you mean November - December, the PS3 sold 2.9 million in 2008, and 3.3 million in 2007 (right after a price cut).

So let's say 0.4m * 7 = 2.8m (pre-holiday) 
5-6 million for the holiday (which would be great)

That takes it to 8.8 million by the end of 2009. It certainly won't sell an additional 4.2 million in the first three months of 2010. That's why I say it won't hit 13 million with a late price cut.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Did you take into account their shifting the year by a week NJ5?

Tease.

@Squilliam: No, I didn't take that 2% difference into account ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
Million said:
Squilliam said:

But couldn't that argument go either way ? could I argue that the only reason the 360 is was able to stay ahead is because of Sony's faliure to capitalise on their opportunity in the Japanese market , let's not argue "shoulda coulda woulda" let's discuss what is actualy happening.

The PS3 is selling within range of the 360 in major markets despite it's significant pricing advantage , this clearly demonstrates there is a greater desire for the PS3 despite the fact that the PS3 is selling under the 360 . Think about it , the lesser desirable product would find it increasingly difficult to justify a large price tag , the PS3 is clearly not the lesser desirable product because it has a much larger price tag but is still able to sell in range . If the PS3 was equal to the price of the 360 then historical trends would indicate that the PS3 would sell more , infact the PS3 wouldn't even need to be priced the same as the 360 to outsell just slightly above.

I have calculated this before but you'll just have to trust my reasoning :) .

They are not going to announce the price cut until it's really really close from happening.

Like a week before it takes effect, they will announce it. To minimize the potential sales that would be affected by the price cut.

People will simply hold on their purchase now if they announced a price cut on say like October.

Million said:
HappySqurriel said:

But couldn't that argument go either way ? could I argue that the only reason the 360 is was able to stay ahead is because of Sony's faliure to capitalise on their opportunity in the Japanese market , let's not argue "shoulda coulda woulda" let's discuss what is actualy happening.

The PS3 is selling within range of the 360 in major markets despite it's significant pricing advantage , this clearly demonstrates there is a greater desire for the PS3 despite the fact that the PS3 is selling under the 360 . Think about a lesser desirable product would find it increasingly difficult to justify a large price tag , the PS3 is clearly not the lesser desirable product because it has a much larger price tag but is still able to sell in range . If the PS3 was equal to the price of the 360 then historical trends would indicate that the PS3 would sell more , infact the PS3 wouldn't even need to be priced the same as the 360 to outsell just slightly above.

1. Sony technically failed to capitalise on opportunities in every market, theres no point in giving Japan special consideration.

2. If the PS3 cost as much to make as the Xbox 360 then perhaps that argument would have more merit.

@NJ5

2% is almost 7% of the 30% they need to increase their sales by to meet their targets.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Million said:
HappySqurriel said:

The PS3 is selling within range of the 360 in major markets despite it's significant pricing advantage , this clearly demonstrates there is a greater desire for the PS3 despite the fact that the PS3 is selling under the 360 . Think about a lesser desirable product would find it increasingly difficult to justify a large price tag , the PS3 is clearly not the lesser desirable product because it has a much larger price tag but is still able to sell in range . If the PS3 was equal to the price of the 360 then historical trends would indicate that the PS3 would sell more , infact the PS3 wouldn't even need to be priced the same as the 360 to outsell just slightly above.

1. Sony technically failed to capitalise on opportunities in every market, theres no point in giving Japan special consideration.

2. If the PS3 cost as much to make as the Xbox 360 then perhaps that argument would have more merit.

@NJ5

2% is almost 7% of the 30% they need to increase their sales by to meet their targets.

1. That really has no relevance to the discussion ,.

2. We don't know how much the PS3 currently costs to make , but there have been rumours of a PS3 slim and we do know the Sony has a history is cost reduction and redesigning consoles so they've probably become more efficient at it , there's also a greater need for a cheaper PS3 which sony most likely recognise . My argument becomes relevant once (A) Sony cut's the price of the PS3 (B) Sony releases a PS3 slim.

A price cut to clear current stock and then another with the release of a slim model ought to do it almost easily. That is, if they have a slim model ready for release in time. Otherwise it's probably pretty hard to achieve that target... Well, unless they have something sort of similar to a slim model.