By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Console totals breakdown

I know you guys base your charts off of actual numbers that you get other places and some inside sources. I think it would be great if you could make an area where you breakdown how all the consoles numbers are determined. To my knowledge they are only broken down by region now but it would be nice to see a more through breakdown. Here's an example of what I mean: Wii - 6 million total Americas - 2.43 million NPD Nov 06 - 538,000 NPD Dec 06 - 704,750 NPD Jan 07 - 485,000 Morgon price inside tip Feb 07- 601750 Estimate of uncounted in North America - 100000 Japan - 1.92 million Japanese sales tracking thru 3/11/07 - 1,855,250 Tip from #JKL#@ for uncalculated sales - 64750 etc.ect.ect.

Around the Network

The numbers tend to be a bit forward looking. Since Japan is readily predictable based on weekly, not monthly data it is easier to see trends. There are small errors, but this because they use media create and famitsu, not either/ or. Sales for Wii in Japan assume it sells 65,000 between now and the next update (either 7 or 10 days), which could be accurate if Nintendo ships as many units as they have been. Obviously rounding everything up in in Japan based on 250 units tends to add up as well (up to 125 off per week, at a couple months you are talking 20,000 more/less than actual reported data in theory).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said: The numbers tend to be a bit forward looking. Since Japan is readily predictable based on weekly, not monthly data it is easier to see trends. There are small errors, but this because they use media create and famitsu, not either/ or. Sales for Wii in Japan assume it sells 65,000 between now and the next update (either 7 or 10 days), which could be accurate if Nintendo ships as many units as they have been. Obviously rounding everything up in in Japan based on 250 units tends to add up as well (up to 125 off per week, at a couple months you are talking 20,000 more/less than actual reported data in theory).
Well that's fine and all but that's exactly why I want a breakdown. If I surf to this site and see that the 360 sales have gone up significantly I want to see if the increase is based off of actual numbers, estimates, or another party who did some speical research.

ioi said: Well lets do NA as an example: X360: 5.44m as of Jan Early figures show ~0.30m for Feb (numerous sources extrapolated up) We project ~0.15m for 2 weeks of March 5.89m total Wii: 2.43m as of Jan Early figures show ~0.46m for Feb We project ~0.24m for 2 weeks of March 2.43m total PS3: 1.04m as of Jan Early figures show ~0.23m for Feb We project ~0.12m for 2 weeks of March 1.39m total Of course when NPD and latest shipment figures and more data arrives we will readjust these. The same kind of process applies for the other data. We get some weekly data for US (we are looking at getting more) but as you can imagine it only covers a small sample of retailers so extrapolating from that will give errors. Even NPD is an extrapolation, albeit from ~75% of the market so their data is obviously very good and much better than ours at the moment. Hope this makes things a little clearer...
That is perfect. Do you all think you can find some place on your website for that exact same thing. That way we can quickly see the breakdown of confirmed sales vs projected per month for each console in each region?