By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Watch celebrities play with Project Natal at E3

selnor said:
megaman79 said:
i thought it was interesting that two issues were highlighted. One of the celebs said im shorter than the avatar on screen and also the background was white. Nothing else to distract the camera.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The background was white because................................. it's 360's colour. Duh. Like I said opposite fanboys are trying so hard to find holes. Will you cry when it sells by the country load???????????

Which country load? Monacco with 32 thousand people? Maldives with 320 thousand?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
selnor said:
megaman79 said:
i thought it was interesting that two issues were highlighted. One of the celebs said im shorter than the avatar on screen and also the background was white. Nothing else to distract the camera.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. The background was white because................................. it's 360's colour. Duh. Like I said opposite fanboys are trying so hard to find holes. Will you cry when it sells by the country load???????????

I thought it was Lime green?

;)

Yeah lime green and white. Usually the 360 logo is in grey and lime green and backgrounds are in white like the console. Am I right? Yep. See what I mean. Everything has a white background. Why would they change that for Natal showing.

meanwhile core gamers are finding any excuse to believe in motion controls. Bless the irony when 360 conferences start devoting 50% of their show to casual games for women and kids.

Believe me, it happens.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
meanwhile core gamers are finding any excuse to believe in motion controls. Bless the irony when 360 conferences start devoting 50% of their show to casual games for women and kids.

Believe me, it happens.

Now I agree with you there. :) However Natal has more scope to have meaningful motion control, something real and interactive that a core gamer can enjoy. Thats the problem with wii, to a core gamer it's just not motiony enough to be worth it. It's to limited. Hopefully games address this on Natal.

I KNEW Felicia Day was "in character" on stage at E3!

Around the Network

After watching a few of the videos, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. Wow. I didn't want this before, but now.......

Impressive.
Doesn't look bad at all.

I still don't believe it'll work for first person shooters and some other genres. But I'll admit that the video I saw with the guys playing burnout. It looked fun :p

Check out my game about moles ^

The only real way I think this could fail is if it's priced out of the casual market of it ends up not working so well in smaller settings. I really don't think it'll out-hype the sales wise, but it looks interesting enough.

I still play my games on sitting down, though, so it looks like Natal is a no-go for me.

Yes, even my Wii games. Except Wii Fit. I have to stand on the balance board so it can tell me how fat I am.

megaman79 said:

I've read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos on Natal and both those issues you mention are false. 

1 - In a couple of the hands on articles they mentioned that the first thing Natal did was scan your body and it DID in fact adjust your avatars height to match yours.  In that video it seemed to be much more impromptu and the shorter guy just jumped in without taking the time (more likely he didn't know) to have Natal scan him and adjust the avatar.  It still worked though, thats the important thing.

2 - The background is irrelevant because you're not understanding how Natal "sees"....it's not using your silhouette to try to determine how you are different from the background, it's flooding the area in IR light and then measuring the bounce back to make a 3D map of the room.  It doesn't matter what colour the wall is, the wall will clearly be behind the person.  It will work just fine in very dim rooms.  There is a video with Kudo playing Burnout where the person filming actually shuts off the lights in the room and it doesn't make a bit of different to Natal

daroamer said:
megaman79 said:

I've read a lot of articles and watched a lot of videos on Natal and both those issues you mention are false. 

1 - In a couple of the hands on articles they mentioned that the first thing Natal did was scan your body and it DID in fact adjust your avatars height to match yours.  In that video it seemed to be much more impromptu and the shorter guy just jumped in without taking the time (more likely he didn't know) to have Natal scan him and adjust the avatar.  It still worked though, thats the important thing.

2 - The background is irrelevant because you're not understanding how Natal "sees"....it's not using your silhouette to try to determine how you are different from the background, it's flooding the area in IR light and then measuring the bounce back to make a 3D map of the room.  It doesn't matter what colour the wall is, the wall will clearly be behind the person.  It will work just fine in very dim rooms.  There is a video with Kudo playing Burnout where the person filming actually shuts off the lights in the room and it doesn't make a bit of different to Natal

Yeah, I think people still do not understand what exactly Natal is doing.