By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Vitality Sensor - What does it actually do how can it be used in games?

Bong Lover said:
The world needs this thread, but still, the masses still think it's a heartbeat monitor when it can do so much more. The main issue I see with it right now is it's bulkiness and taking away the nunchuck slot. Both of these could be fixed before we see the final product, a snug little wireless finger cap would be beyond awesome, but probably wishing for too much.

I think there's lots of possible cool applications for this in games, I love the idea of games, especially horror games becoming harder the more stressed you get, to the point where the controls of your character starts to fail if you get too freaked out. Essentially freezing with shock etc. If developers could accurately represent this, it would be quite awesome.

Also, character rich games could benefit from measuring your real emotional attachment to characters, dynamically changing the character plots based on which characters you like and dislike. Again, this would be difficult, but as a concept I think it's pretty cool.

That would be awesome.

Around the Network

It measures your pulse, many variables effect this. Making a gaming device around this is absurd.

Horror games could benefit from this greatly if implemented well.

When playing Mario Galaxy 2 or something, you could physically hold your breath while Mario is underwater, and he'll only lose health when you give up. That would be awesome. Metal Gear Solid was the 1st thing that came into my mid, but that'snot on the Wii, so SMG2 was the next best thing.

Racing games could have you inhale, causing tunnel vision, which really happens when driving at high speed.

If it was really good, a melee attack that normally causes you to punch with the Wiimote could be enhanced if you Flexed a muscle in your arm, then punched.

But the sensor only belongs on your finger, nowhere else ;)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Actually, Nintendo used similar technology back in Nintendo 64 days, but I think it was only for one game and only in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_64

Bio Tetris - The normal tetris game using the bio sensor. The game is sped up or slowed down depending on the user's heart rate

The bio sensor is a Nintendo 64 accessory produced by SETA and only available in Japan. It was sold on its own or packaged with Tetris 64. The bio sensor looks like a Nintendo 64 controller pak with a wire coming out of it with a clip on the end. One end of the sensor plugs into the extension port on the Nintendo 64 controller, and the other end clips onto the player's ear. The device measures the user's heart rate.

I guess that vitality sensor will fit with any game, including tetris. Heh.

TheSwordUser said:

Actually, Nintendo used similar technology back in Nintendo 64 days, but I think it was only for one game and only in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_64

Bio Tetris - The normal tetris game using the bio sensor. The game is sped up or slowed down depending on the user's heart rate

The bio sensor is a Nintendo 64 accessory produced by SETA and only available in Japan. It was sold on its own or packaged with Tetris 64. The bio sensor looks like a Nintendo 64 controller pak with a wire coming out of it with a clip on the end. One end of the sensor plugs into the extension port on the Nintendo 64 controller, and the other end clips onto the player's ear. The device measures the user's heart rate.

I guess that vitality sensor will fit with any game, including tetris. Heh.

That is very interesting.

The DS actually had the Game & Watch games as a design predecessor in the 80s.

The WiiMote really had a similar design to the Power Glove,and it works lol

Now this Vitality Sensor has a small history as well.

When it comes to revisiting designs, Ninty is 2/3. Maybe with the VS they can seal the deal.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

@SaviorX: Don't forget the gameboy camera> DSi. ^^

"How hard would it be to randomize facial features and skin tones? That's what we want, to feel like we're killing hundreds of different people. Not a bunch of clones or twins. We want to know, deep down, that there are hundreds of grieving mothers out there, lamenting the terror of our dreaded blade."

Cracked.com ( http://www.cracked.com/article_16196_p4.html ), saying the Hardcore gamers' dark truth. And it's Hell True.

you changed your avatar?

OT, great explanation. my respect the VS just went up. im sure this would be great for survival horrors.

Does it need to be plugged into the Wiimote? If so, it's completely useless.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Does it need to be plugged into the Wiimote? If so, it's completely useless.

Completely useless actually. Here's to hoping that actual game developers can muster up a little more imagination.

@puffy,

I think it sounds really amazing and could have some great applications, like horror games, but I don't think I'd want a lie detector in my house, that could lead to so many problems.... just think, your wife, or girlfriend asks, "do these pants make me look fat?" or "Do you think (insert name here) is prettier than me?" and she has a convenient lie detector to hook you up to...