By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else impressed by the Wii visuals at E3?

I don't understand why people like Mario Galaxy Graphics. From a technical point they are a relatively low polygon, barely TEV used game. All that It's got is a Mario Cartoon feel without sell shading and that's all textures. Any system could handle that.

Which brings up. Graphically MG1 & 2 are pretty lackluster on the graphics front, but high on style. So what I'm not getting why do people think that Mario Galaxy are the best graphical game the Wii?

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

Personally, I'm sick of the "looks good for a (insert less than top-of-the-line system here) game." It's utter bullshit.

Games look good or they don't.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I still think that MP3 has the best graphics and art style.

Currently enjoying: Monster Hunter Tri.

Mario Galaxy has an unprecedented polish and art direction that make it a very good looking game.

And I've been very impressed by the latest 3rd party games coming to the Wii!

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

.jayderyu said:
I don't understand why people like Mario Galaxy Graphics. From a technical point they are a relatively low polygon, barely TEV used game. All that It's got is a Mario Cartoon feel without sell shading and that's all textures. Any system could handle that.

Which brings up. Graphically MG1 & 2 are pretty lackluster on the graphics front, but high on style. So what I'm not getting why do people think that Mario Galaxy are the best graphical game the Wii?

I've always considered graphics to be technical + style. Now if the style you chose doesn't require much horsepower, while the technical side isn't difficult in the grand scheme, you'll achieve the best looks for it way before all the "realistic" looking games come close to perfection. If you can perfect the style you chose, then its going to look excellent no matter how hard it was to achieve.

Around the Network

Spyborg, grinder, gladiator ad, mario galaxy 2, red steel 2 were all very good looking. Finally some dev got it right...

Like I've heard before, the Wii is kind of like how the DS started: At first, most of the only decent games just came from Nintendo with all the crappy 3rd party developers using it to make crappy games = quick buck, but eventually, more start support it in a much better way and it captures more of the market share :D.

Well, we can only hope, at least.

But the situation for consoles isn't quite the same as the situation for handhelds - there's much more competition for the Wii than there is for the DS.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Even the casual games are starting to look good.

See what I'm saying.

Wii is seeing a lot of software now and even the Shovelware devs like UFO have stepped it up.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

can't say that I am, but then again PC gaming has spoiled me.