By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Natal to X360 is what Wii to Gamecube

Shane Kim said the Natal project will extend the life of the x360 to 2015. This makes me wonder is Microsoft using the duct-taped method of Nintendo by using a new control scheme to launch as a new system?

I thought about it and it made sense. I think Project Natal (or whatever it will be call when it is released) will launch in Fall of 2010 and will act as a new system launch for Microsoft, along with a slim x360 re-designed.

X360 is beginning to maxed out with graphics and DVD-9 so a wii-mote type of trick and launching with a new slim x360 does seems like a possibility.

I think after the launchof Natal, all new games will be required to support it in some form similar to Achievements. What do you think, will GeOW3, Modern Warefare 3, Halo 4, Fable 3, MAss Effect 3, and Forza 4 with new control scheme be enough to tie X360 gamers over til 2015?

Around the Network

How exactly are you planning to shoot with a camera?

DKII said:
How exactly are you planning to shoot with a camera?

Hmmm, with your index fingers I persumed or Halo 4 could be package with pistol with a trigger button. We will see :)

I see it happening. There's no reason they can program the Natal to do what the Eyetoy 2 did with color recognition. The higher resolution could probably work to triangulate pointing... There's no reason MS won't come out with a stick for hard core games with this. (PSWii owner)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

RayRay102 said:

I think after the launchof Natal, all new games will be required to support it in some form similar to Achievements. What do you think, will GeOW3, Modern Warefare 3, Halo 4, Fable 3, MAss Effect 3, and Forza 4 with new control scheme be enough to tie X360 gamers over til 2015?

I can't speak for anyone else of course, but it'll be enough for me. If it's as accurate as they're saying it is I can see people jumping all over it. 

Around the Network

I am a Wii owner and I am scratching my head at this thread.

Keep the 360 alive as Microsoft's secondary console until 2015, sure.
Satisfy all 360 gamers for six more years while some pretty substantial gains in hardware are made, no.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

lapsed_gamer said:

I am a Wii owner and I am scratching my head at this thread.

Keep the 360 alive as Microsoft's secondary console until 2015, sure.
Satisfy all 360 gamers for six more years while some pretty substantial gains in hardware are made, no.

I do not agree.  I for one would love to still get first run content on my 7-10 year old consoles... I don't want to buy another $300-400 console, I would rather buy 6-8 good games.

Additionally, the graphical and technological leap just won't be there in another 18 months.  Programmers aren't maxing out the potential of any these three consoles yet (in means of input or output).

ok, so you use your finger to shoot. What about run, duck, dodge, change weapons, reload, etc, etc.

Running/walking in place is not feasible.
Voicing all commands is not feasible.

So realistically how would you overcome this?

superchunk said:
ok, so you use your finger to shoot. What about run, duck, dodge, change weapons, reload, etc, etc.

A control stick (like the nunchuck with out the wii mote)... but this goes against MS's "no need for a controller" line.

axumblade said:
superchunk said:

RAIL SHOOTERS!!

but seriously...I don't know. x.o It seems to be able to scan and identify you but I don't think it can follow you completely yet.

That's the problem I have with both MS and Sony motion. No nunchuk like add on. Granted, they have plenty of time to solve it, but it will undoubtly use a nunchuk type of add on or in MS case maybe just the actual controller. But, then what's the gain?

Realistically Natal is limited in its use for core games. Not saying there isn't plenty of room for inovation on new casual expanded games and a few of existing genres, but greater majority of core games (as the ones OP listed) are not feasible with this.