By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is Microsoft profiting from X-box/X-box 360 at all?

Why dallas?

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
TheBigFatJ said:
The Xbox division is about 7 billion in debt -- the latest 1 billion was due to the additional costs incurred by the RROD issues. This does include some fairly costly acquisitions, most notably Rare.

Microsoft has not yet had a profitable quarter with the Xbox division, but because they front-loaded all of their repair costs into last year, they may be able to have an 'on-paper' profitable quarter this quarter with Halo 3 launching. Some analysts are indicating Microsoft could have a 'slightly profitable' quarter.

This, of course, does not indicate they'll have a real profitable year, but it is the first step. Nor does it indicate that they'll generate a profit from the Xbox 360 generation. However, Microsoft has some investors that want to see them get at least one year of profitability of any kind.

Microsoft is unique among the big console companies as they're the only one consistently operating at a loss. Nintendo hasn't had a year without big profits for a long time and Sony hasn't had two consecutive years of loss with its playstation brand.

I thought they had 1 profitable quarter when Halo 2 was released?

Regardless, with the business model that Microsoft uses it would take 2 or 3 generations where the XBox was as successful as the PS2 in order to put the division in a net-profit position; it would take at least 3 generations for it to have made more sense to 'invest' in the XBox than to put their money in the bank.

Everytime someone brings up Microsoft's profitability with the XBox 360 I end up wondering what the underlying motivation is for Microsoft to continue with this line of products; it could be a way to defend their operating system monopoly, dominate the TVPC market, or possibly set up a monopoly where people are (dramatically) overcharged for products that are marginally better than what you can get for free.

Well can you apply for the Microsoft job and fix it then? O_O

By the way to the original poster. Xbox is not spelled like "X-box" Its spelled simply as Xbox. Thats it. But the two together..k?

W29 said:

Why dallas?

If you keep tellin people to STFU, you will probably upset somebody.  I'm just trying to do you a favor.

TheBigFatJ said:

Microsoft has not yet had a profitable quarter with the Xbox division

I agree for all your post Big except for this part. MS H&E had one profitable quarter in its history. When Halo 2 came out they made a tiny profit but not enough to have a profitable year.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

And for the record Microsoft does care. It is a publicly traded compnay who true boss is the owners of the stock. These investors like to see stock go up and to make it go up you need profit.

It is not as if they don' t care, it is that they understood that the way to get their foot in the door was to take losses up front. Hence XBox. Now the 360 is doing well but may break even at best so Microsoft may have to wait for the 3rd generation of XBox for real profit. Things are slower going than they would like but they have the cash to wait it out. There is a limit though until they move on to anoither project. I think the media center bonus of the 360 will keep them in even through another losing generation(Not that I think the next one will lose, I actually think it will be wildly profitable).

Last I heard they were still losing money on every console they sold. The die shrinkage was going to help that but they have added extra features(hdmi port) and dropped the price so any profit on hardware is probably very small at this point and will be for most of the generation. I think any saving they find in production will be used to lower the price and drive sales.

Microsoft also continues to dump huge money into aquiring software developers and bribing 3rd parties for exclusives. Good for Xbox gamers but bad for the bottom line.

As for Halo's impact, assume is does sell 6 million copies in the this fiscal year. Even if the average price is $70 a game and costs are only 60 million as said above that makes profit somewhere near 360 million. Losses were higher than that even in the Halo 2 release year.

So maybe a small profit this year but it will be another decade until the Xbox division will have been a profitable enterprise. 7 billion is a lot to recover.

People accuse Sony of blowing money on a game console to gamble for Blu-Ray. I would argue the Microsoft made a bigger longer term gamble to get their operating system under your TV.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

dschumm, aren't you mixing up the Xbox product with the entire entertainment division? That includes other things as far as I know (at least the Zune).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
dschumm, aren't you mixing up the Xbox product with the entire entertainment division? That includes other things as far as I know (at least the Zune).

he is, but it is pretty synonymous with the Xbox and Zune. Arent those products essentially the reason the division exists for MSFT?

dschumm said:
And for the record Microsoft does care. It is a publicly traded compnay who true boss is the owners of the stock. These investors like to see stock go up and to make it go up you need profit.

Any you do realize that Microsoft had record profits for the company in their last FY right?  And that's even with the 1+ billion they set aside for the extended warranty/rrod issue.

Anyone who is coming out and saying that Microsoft is going to dump the Xbox 360 or get out of the videogame console business is talking out of their ass considering both Steve Balmer and Bill Gates have put their full support behind the Xbox line.

Ok I might be streching a little but the Xbox came long before and is a much more massive outlay than other projects including the Zune. I also thought that Microsoft reported a smaller loss for the division than for the Xbox. Meaning all those other things with the Zune are profitable. Xbox is the anchor/gamble.

As for the Zune, it is an effort to get their operating system in your pockect. The Xbox is how they get in your family room(IPTV). Obviously it is their overall plan to be well placed as the consumption of electronic devices moves from traditional computers to internet enabled entertainment devices. The evoluton of power is computers is moving much faster than the avaerage persons need. Thus simple devices will be able to do everythign the average person used to go to the computer for. The Zune is much more of a toe in the water kind of effort. Yes I am sure it is a huge outlay of capital and a massive effort but no where near the gamble the Xbox was/is. They had already postioned themselves as a big player in the digital music game and I doubt they lose any money on the hardware given the similar capabilities of competitors.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt