By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: "the whimper of hardcore dreams".

Sean Malstrom. Genius in action.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

I described the actions as such as a gross simplification to distinguish the responses. It was easier to write a line, rather than 30 to detail which parts of the market each were going for. The areas I indicated were centres of weight to their strategies, which of course encoumpasses wider elements of the market.

Part 1/2 were never challenged, what I was saying was that Sony was mounting their challenge to part 3, Nintendo moving upwards. I was also saying that Microsoft was not challenging M+ directly, they were challenging Nintendos initial market.

Tease.

One thing, if you look at many of his articles preceeding the Wii launch and after the Wii launch, the guy has been spot on in his predictions. In what way has this guy been wrong, thus far? Ok, some people feel he's a dick, hell maybe he is, maybe he isn't; so? He was one who said Wii should have a 2d mario bros like the DS has and wham, here it is.

I'm glad he provides an alternative to the constant bitching of the journalists about the Wii, and really he is not into the fanboy stuff, he is looking at things purely fro the business perspective and is a student of disruption as explained by Christensen.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

I think the real reason Malstrom is a "Asshole Nintendo Fanboy" is because he's right. Because him being right is bad for Sony and Microsoft in the game industry. Because him being right is bad for elitist pricks who bash Nintendo...

Squilliam said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Sorry Squill, but itnot free, in fact it has a high cost, two reason, first the Wii is graphically very weak compared to the PS3, and secondly, even achieving a 50K sales on the PS3 for the wand for a ported Wii game will be difficult.

Even if the games exist on the Wii, the cost to upgrade graphics to PS3 level quality will b off the chart, and if you try to do a direct port, the graphical quality will be too low for people to want to buy the games, especially if they feel they have to buy an extra peripheral for the game.

I was talking about programming libraries. They are portable between the Wii and PS3 even if the graphics are not. Since they are paid for by expected Wii M+ adoption then it would cost them nothing extra to use them on the PS3. Graphics are irrelevant, this could just as easily apply to a PS3 exclusive game as it would to a game which is PS3 360 Wii.

I doubt the programming libraries between the Wii and the PS3 are all that similar, that they can just be moved without any cost, remember their hardware architecture and the game engines used by developers are very different, and for those who own the HD twins but not the Wii, graphics are very important, so game porting will require satisfactory graphics to warrant sales.

Also Montana, Malstrom may be arrogant, but he's been right as far as the Wii and gaming industry are concerned so far, that's why he gets posted, people like Bruceongames, have been wrong consistently, and as a result are not posted

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

This is what I read.

Blah Blah Blah, wii destroys all other gaming. Blah Blah Blah. You traditional gamer tears tastes sweat to my tongue. Blah Blah Blah.

Doesn't change the fact that most wii games are made worse because of motion control.

Another article from a complete jackass.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

superchunk said:
MontanaHatchet said:
I don't see why so many people are in love with such a condescending jackass. Continue to copy and paste his articles if you will, but I'm sure none of the people here would be giddy if there was a constant barrage of anti-Wii articles. Oh wait, there was. And a bunch of Nintendo fanboys freaked out about it.

Point is, stop posting articles from assholes such as Malstrom. Thank you for your time.

Just because you disagree with his presentation doesn't mean his substance is any less valid and especially valid on a sales/trending centric site.

After the same shtick about hardcore gamers for the umpteenth time, I'm a bit sick of it.

Avinish: I agree with him on a lot of things. He has a great grasp of the industry, but as you stated, he's arrogant. Incredibly. And it's why I'm sick of seeing his articles.

Liquidninja: As condescending as Malstrom, I see, without the substance.

liquidninja said:
I think the real reason Malstrom is a "Asshole Nintendo Fanboy" is because he's right. Because him being right is bad for Sony and Microsoft in the game industry. Because him being right is bad for elitist pricks who bash Nintendo...

You don't think it has anything to do with him making articles like this where he just bashes people, or how amazingly biased he sounded when he made an article on the MS conference?  He may be right, but the reasons he is thought of as an asshole is completely different.  Also, calling everyone who doesn't like him an elitist prick is annoying. 

Squilliam said:
I described the actions as such as a gross simplification to distinguish the responses. It was easier to write a line, rather than 30 to detail which parts of the market each were going for. The areas I indicated were centres of weight to their strategies, which of course encoumpasses wider elements of the market.

Part 1/2 were never challenged, what I was saying was that Sony was mounting their challenge to part 3, Nintendo moving upwards. I was also saying that Microsoft was not challenging M+ directly, they were challenging Nintendos initial market.

Where we differ, I think, is that I don't see how Sony/MS can stop nintendo from moving up. Devs care only about profits and as Wii's marketshare grows so will Wii's control over larger core IPs. That has been demonstrated over and over again by history.

Your right, MS is definitely trying to capture that expanded market. Natal is not aimed for core games, but for Wii Sports/Fit, etc. But, that ship has sailed and MS didn't catch it.

@Torillian
I didn't call every one who doesn't like him a elitist prick.

@MontanaHatchet

Simply saying I'm condescending doesn't prove me wrong does it? Yeah, I admit I can be abit of a Smart*** sometimes but hey WELCOME TO THE INTERNET!!

You guy's are doing it again you try to discredit Malstrom but almost never what he's saying.

And you know what? Maybe he is wrong but at least I can see those are his real thoughts and not something he heard from someone else and blindly agrees with or something he was paid to say. I can tell he's genuinely interested in the truth and doesn't ignore it because it means he's wrong.