By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Malstrom: "the whimper of hardcore dreams".

Malstrom is one of the few outspoken people who has proven to understand a lot of the trends behind the Wii's victory. No matter whether he's an asshole or not, you'd all do well to try to understand the points behind his rhetoric.

He has his ups and downs as far as I've seen, but in general he makes points one should at least think about.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
marktheshark275 said:
As usual, another article by the awesome Malstrom. :)

Come on haters, don't force yourselves to read his words. If you hate him so much, why force yourselves to read his stuff?

Sometimes he has something interesting to say, and sometimes it reads like he's masturbating over how doomed the hardcorez are.  This was the latter.

(Even if he also had a somewhat legitimate point.)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
marktheshark275 said:
As usual, another article by the awesome Malstrom. :)

Come on haters, don't force yourselves to read his words. If you hate him so much, why force yourselves to read his stuff?

Sometimes he has something interesting to say, and sometimes it reads like he's masturbating over how doomed the hardcorez are.  This was the latter.

(Even if he also had a somewhat legitimate point.)

I think the article would be easier for everyone to accept if the final two paragraphs were removed.

What remains is the central part of his post, the fact that motion controls will fragment the PC/360/PS3 audience even further, making it hard to make money on motion-controlled games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Still, he just runs over possible objections, like:
--Is it truly impossible for Natal and the PS3 implementation to achieve similar results for most games?
--What about PS3-Wii ports?
--So far, if someone wanted to take advantage of motion controls, there was only one place to do it: the Wii. [edit: Momentarily forgot the Sixaxis stuff ... 'cause it's so forgettable.] Malstrom does not give the impression of acknowledging that the rectification of this disadvantage, even partially, is a benefit.

Also: "Motion control games cannot be ported to the PC because the PC will never have such controls."
O RLY? The 360 controller can be plugged right into my PC. Why not the Natal?

But yeah, the post goes down a lot better without the rant at the end.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Wow, I'm sorry to say this. But everyone posting in this thread has missed the point entirely

MontannaHatchet
Okeydokey
Xen
even Torillian

Your only response is 'Malstrom is arrogant/a jerk/a dick.'

This is of course true, but unimportant

So how about instead of just point out that this guy's writing style is arrogant, how about you actually discuss what he said...

I think he has a good point, the only reason that the HD consoles are doing anywhere as near as well as they are, is because they can be lumped together so easily, due to the fact that they are very close in terms of power.

He also has a point that the Sony and MS motion controls are very different, and the the PC is likely to use mouse + keyboard for the foreseeable future.

He is then right in concluding that developers will be faced with few options
Making a non motion control game for the PCPS360 - ie ignoring Natal/PSmote

Making a non motion control game for the PCPS360, then tacking on motion controls - This was tried with the Wii for the first year or so of its life, the result? Shit 3rd party games

Making a Natal game and being unable to port it properly to the PCPS3Wii

Making a PSremote game and being unable to port properly to the PC360 due to control issues, or the Wii due to graphics issues

Make a game for the Wii

Noting that
*the 1st and last options are the ones devs currently have
*no-one should consider the 2nd option to be a good one
* The 3rd and 4th options require making a game for a userbase the size of Natal or PSremote sales, rather than PS3 and 360 sales or Wii sales

Around the Network

"everyone", scottie?

hyperbole, of course

Logic FTW!

Malstrom is definitely a smart guy and knows his stuff. I'd say that he's right about 95% of the time. Normally I defend most everything that he says and I will defend the content of what he is saying here. I believe him to be right yet again. I will not defend the pompous and arrogant manner that he is stating it in this article though.

I don't care for the 9 millon articles that I have read that are condescending in nature to Wii owners and the owners of HD consoles shouldn't have to read articles that act like they are stupid cavemen either.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Why does anyone care what this twat has to say?

Why care what anyone has to write here?  It is people expressing opinions.  By becoming aware of angles you didn't think of, you are able to develop a more well-rounded view of things.  Of course, doing that means your days as a fanboy are over, which likely would be why people don't want to read stuff like the original poster wrote.