By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your opinion: Will this be SONY's last gen?

MazeMe said:
They'll probably make another one, but right now, Sony is the only consolebuilder who is losing money without having planned on it. Nintendo makes lots of money, and Microsoft doesn't care, as long as they kick Sony's ass.

the 360 is making money.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

Ridiculous. Sony is in the shitter right now, but so have both of its competitors been in the past.

Yes; MS and Ninty were still making money on the whole when they had their "failures."

Yes; PS3 has spent all the money that PS2 made them.

No; Sony's "10 year plan" and the PS2 and PS1 staying power are not relevent if the PS3 loses 6 million a year.

Yes; they will probably "bail" on this generation.

No; it will not be because they've dropped out of the video game business.

Yes; it will be because they are fielding their next gen system early.

They took a risk, put out the equivalent of a really nice basement, and have spent all gen building a nice house on top of it, copying some of their neighbors features (lawn gnomes, the garage remote, that there purrdy picture window in the front...), and they've lost a lot of money doing this. Still, they're not "just" a game company, so they can weather a storm and still field something new in this lucrative market.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

MrBubbles said:
MazeMe said:
They'll probably make another one, but right now, Sony is the only consolebuilder who is losing money without having planned on it. Nintendo makes lots of money, and Microsoft doesn't care, as long as they kick Sony's ass.

the 360 is making money.

Hand over fist.

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

price hasnt been confirmed but in all other regions its at the original psp launch price which was £179.99 in the Uk so theyll probably go with that

You gotta be kidding me, before the PS3 the Playstation brand was making Sony a huge deal of money. Every company has a hiccup and with Sony it was the PS3 however even so it will at worst sell 40 million lifetime. It has lost a huge amount of money but the money can easily be made up, just have a look at how much the gaming industry is growing.

PSP is at worst going to end with 70 million sales and PS3 40 millionso not a ZOMG failure. Look at how much money MS lost and just started making money recently. People are taking too many magic mushrooms if they think Sony are bailing out on hardware.

Around the Network

lol @ thread.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

amp316 said:
Leonidus said:
MrBubbles said:
currently the psp is making money i hear...i dont think that will continue with the pspgo, but its not like they are discontinuing the other one.

Of course they will be making profit off the PSP Go if they are currently doing so on the other models. The R&D costs will have already been borne by the company for the Go! and because it's smaller, lighter and with less power consumption it should at least be as cheap to make as the models they currently produce. Then you take into account that it's launching at $249 and they should be making money.

... and you can buy a home console named the Wii at the exact same price. 

I don't get why people are so stuck on the price point of the Go. The Go has all the features of the ipod touch (minus the actual touch screen) plus better gamming. This is also not including that the price point of the Go is 50 dollars under the touch with equivalent specs. Sony will need to drive software for this system as it seems like a move to compete with Apple for some of its consumers.

The PSP Go stands to do some damage and with good software support the odds are in its favor to sell decently.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

kaneada said:
amp316 said:
Leonidus said:
MrBubbles said:
currently the psp is making money i hear...i dont think that will continue with the pspgo, but its not like they are discontinuing the other one.

Of course they will be making profit off the PSP Go if they are currently doing so on the other models. The R&D costs will have already been borne by the company for the Go! and because it's smaller, lighter and with less power consumption it should at least be as cheap to make as the models they currently produce. Then you take into account that it's launching at $249 and they should be making money.

... and you can buy a home console named the Wii at the exact same price. 

I don't get why people are so stuck on the price point of the Go. The Go has all the features of the ipod touch (minus the actual touch screen) plus better gamming. This is also not including that the price point of the Go is 50 dollars under the touch with equivalent specs. Sony will need to drive software for this system as it seems like a move to compete with Apple for some of its consumers.

The PSP Go stands to do some damage and with good software support the odds are in its favor to sell decently.

These days there is more competition for everything. Like you said...the Iphone/(collective apple i-stuff), is starting to take chunks out of handheld market. Oh yeah....and some mobile phones sell for like $300-500..people still buy them. Handheld is different to home based. Nobody wants to carry a wii around...where's the power socket?

it is funny that some people could/would still want to believe that sony isn't performing well enough to develope another console next generation. yes sony is in 3rd place, but they have still sold millions upon millions of systems since november of 2006. plus this has been in the face of a serious financial recession. why would anybody take the time to kid themselves? dont we all realize the only mistake made this gen was the price of the ps3. as far as QUALITY, sony can't be beat. come on... isnt sony's ps3 ahead of the 360 in sales in comparrison of time on the market, and that is almost at twice the price.

Why would it be ?