By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Looking for Linux buffs.

I have a dual boot Windows xp/Ubuntu set up on this PC.

However, I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 4830 with HDMI to an HDTV.

I have video, but no sound, I have all of my sound output set to HDMI under system preferences, but it still doesn't play any sounds.

I updated all of the proprietary drivers, and set up the catalyst control center for the video card, too.

I have no idea wtf the issue is.

We'll miss you George.

PSN:Puzzleface

XBL:XpuzzlefaceX

My friends call me Hadoken because I'm down-right fierce

Around the Network

I run Mandriva on my laptop, so i'm not really sure how things work with Ubuntu, but when I needed to find drivers for my video card, I had to use the backports repository

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Well, the proprietary drivers should in theory enact the HDMI.

I don't know what the problem is, however, I really don't think it's drivers.

We'll miss you George.

Do you have sound working through non HDMI?

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)

Right click your speaker icon and open the volume control panel. Make sure the master volume is all the way up.

For some reason this is defaulted to mute for some people when installing 9.04.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network

Could this be a DRM issue? I know there are some with HDMI.

Yeah, master volume is up, and not muted.
A buddy of mine worked on it remotely, and the sound worked until i rebooted, so I know it can work, but I have no clue what he did. :P

We'll miss you George.

OK, make sure you're using ALSA as the mixer and that Surround is selected.

Yep, done and done.

Strange thing is, when I try to test the playback devices in the sound preferences menu, I get an error stating that the device is already in use.

We'll miss you George.

Try using Synaptic and removing all Pulse Audio related packages and then getting the latest versions.