By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has there ever been an underdog console with as much support as the PS3 ?

I think it's amazing how the PS3 is in 3rd  place yet it is still get' software of a standard on par with it's closest rival (many would argue even better>) It's clear Sony's ability to provide it's console with exclusive support has come largley from the growth of SCE during the glory days (PS1,PS2) . So has any other underdog has as much quality/support as the PS3 , or possibly even more .

Discuss :) .

Around the Network

Never was because Sony, even on 3rd place, have strong ties with most 3rd parties who keep supporting their systems.

As far as I know, the PS3 is the very first 3rd place console that gets huge support from 3rd parties...just one of the things that makes this gen so different from previous ones.

lol at you calling the PS3 the underdog. Before this generation started all the analyst had the ps3 pegged for 1st place. :)

was original xbox enough of an underdog for this?

also id say turbografx had great support from ea, capcom, etc tons of exclusives that made me have to get one

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network

Sony's unparalleled first party status means it is in a strong position to keep the PS3 abundantly provided for with AAA software.

Part of the reason the PS3 has so much third party support is that it was expected to be, far and away, the winner this generation and game development these days takes 24-48 months.  So by the time it was obvious that the PS3 would be doomed to last place, many developers had already unstoppable projects for it.

Although it lost all of its best exclusives.

I think the topic is circular reasoning.

The real question should be: how can a console with as much support as the PS3 underperform so badly that it became the underdog?

@gergroy

but now it is the underdog.....

Its the best software for a 3rd place system ever (will eventually become the 2nd place system BELI3VE)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

These discussions are meaningless.

Clearly there's enough marketshare to support all three consoles, as all three are selling boatloads of software.

Calling SONY an "underdog" is tantamount to an acknowledgement of how badly they've screwed things up this generation. Particularly as they were Un. Stop. Able. last generation.