By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: "Nintendo Bombs At E3" (Business Insider)

Two more interesting points.

He is critical of Nintendo for its controllers and its new games -- both of which he called lame in his preview.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gaming/e3-preview-5
http://www.businessinsider.com/gaming/e3-preview-6

Meanwhile, his preview note on exclusive game praised the HD consoles and dismissed everything else.
http://www.businessinsider.com/gaming/e3-preview-3

This is someone who likes their tech -- not someone who is unbiased.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

Nintendo won E3

even if they say it bombed, the games will do anything else except bomb!!

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

quick, someone tell me what the followup game to Super Mario Sunshine was, cause I didn't see any other real Mario platformers on the system.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

saicho said:
justinian said:
I kinda agree with the article. The others have caught up or surpass the wii. It's one thing going for it is no longer unique.

MS has finally found a solution to rule the world. A "cctv" in the household that can recordrecognise your face and send the image to their databases. If the recent report of euro laws being pass to allow government officials to investigate the hard drive of any online PC ( this must be with MS's approval) are push through this year then be prepared for those images to end up in the governments database as well. Cool!

MS took nitendo's inovation (and PS2's eyetoy) and came up with a winning (e3) formula.
Kudos, if you are gonna copy something at least take it a step further.

Sony just copied Nintendo but announced some good games.

MS owned this E3 simply by creating a buzz. Brilliant.

The big loser will is Nintendo.

This would be true if the following conditions were true.

1. the device would be readily available soon after E3

2. killers games are shown for the device.

Even if both devices were released on time by next Spring, it would be almost a year and general consumers are not gonna remember them. Besides, there is no games shown for either devices that would attract the consumers to buy. At least when Wii launched with the "gimmick" control, it has Wii Sports to attract the consumers.

The more likely scenario is both MS and Sony would show the games that utilize the new devices in next year's E3. I think we can go through this all over again by then.

Dude (or dudess) I totally agree with you. Everything I said regarding the above comments were based on (E3), not the future or the

outcome. The article was about E3.

At E3 MS came out with natal and created the biggest buzz. Check out the media. In my opinion that's what wins E3, the buzz, remember the revolution (wii). Not many articles mentioned Nintendo or if they did it was an addon at the end of the article about natal.

BTW: I had edited my post to "The big loser will be/is Nintendo". Meaning: "will be" - in the future (could be months from now) all consoles will pretty much offer the same type of gameplay: "is" They produced the least hardware improvement in terms of controllers and didn't get the mainstream  media talking. 

Sickening. That's all I would say.

Around the Network

They had some good games. W/e its still going to sell so it doesnt matter

ahahha what a dumb ass.

NSMB a port?

i hate journalism skills now a days..

hello how are you.

sadly I id not get to see Nintys presser... but it could not be as bad as last years. Over exaggeration is awesome!

...what's noteworthy is that Nintendo has only had one successful Mario game per platform since the breakthrough success of Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES -- follow ups like Mario Sunshine have been relative flops.

This sentence makes no sense. First Yoshi's Island on SNES was a success. Mario Sunshine is the only Mario on Gamecube and it sold more than 6 million copies on a 22 million install base.

Signature goes here!

NJ5 said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-bombs-at-e3-2009-6

For a company that's led a lot of videogame innovation (and fun!) this decade, Nintendo's showing at the E3 expo this year was a snooze fest. And it was the second boring E3 for Nintendo in a row. Dawdle founder and SAI contributor Sachin Agarwal explains.

Yesterday's E3 briefing by Nintendo was the most disappointing performance by far from the three console makers. Nintendo didn't have a focus, and that should be cause for concern for Nintendo investors.

The major new peripheral announced at the press conference was a fingertip heartbeat sensor called the Wii Vitality Sensor that connects to the Wii Remote; Nintendo offered no concrete demonstrations of how it would work, leaving it up to developers' imaginations. Coming on the heels of Wii Fit, you could be forgiven for thinking that Nintendo was repositioning itself as a competitor to 24 Hour Fitness. 

The games are pretty boring, too. The "new" Mario game for this year is all but a port of the New Super Mario Bros. released for the Nintendo DS in 2006.  The new Zelda game?  Semi-announced at a developer event after the keynote.  Super Mario Galaxy 2 is next year; what's noteworthy is that Nintendo has only had one successful Mario game per platform since the breakthrough success of Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES -- follow ups like Mario Sunshine have been relative flops. The other major franchise, Metroid, was announced, but Metroid is a game that has always had more success in Western markets than the Japanese market. Again, the choice of Team Ninja to develop it is nice, and should make for an excellent game, but it's no game-changer.

Wii Motion Plus is also shaping up to be a large disappointment. Nintendo hasn't yet announced another major title that requires the peripheral, potentially leaving it stillborn before it ever launches. In addition, the Wii Sports Resort demos at Nintendo's booth did not have the longest line; that honor went to the hands-on Demo of the upcoming DS Zelda game, Spirit Tracks. The people playing with Wii Sports Resort had a palpable sense of frustration when they attempted to throw the virtual frisbees at targets; rather than play with the 1:1 controls, it seemed like most people would rather play with the actual plastic frisbees being given out as swag.  Ubisoft's Red Steel 2, a sword and gun fighting game, was announced as a Motion Plus exclusive, but nothing additional from Nintendo.

The DS/DSi was also given short shrift, with some new titles, but no real emphasis on new gameplay types that utilize the touchscreen or the dual cameras of the DSi.  The DS is Nintendo's most successful platform -- ever -- but Nintendo seems content to let it ride.

This is two E3 conferences in a row where Nintendo has dramatically underwhelmed; it's now time to question whether Nintendo has run out of ideas for this generation.  I'm a Nintendo fanboy -- I've owned every Nintendo system other than the Virtual Boy and Game Boy Color (I've owned an Advance, Advance SP, and a Game Boy micro).  Every single major innovation in console gaming -- direction pads, analog sticks, rumble controllers, motion controls -- has come from Nintendo.  (No, new disc media and online play don't count -- they're PC innovations that came over to consoles after the fact.)  Nintendo is the company we turn to for major innovations in the video gaming space, but all they have give us are rehashes and remakes for years now.

Nintendo had an absolutely inspired run with the DS, the Wii, and the Wii Balance Board, but it looks like it's over for now.  It's time to sit on the sidelines until they get their act back together again.

Sachin Agarwal is the President and CEO of Dawdle.com, an online marketplace for gamers to buy and sell new and used video games, systems, and accessories with other gamers online. Sachin is covering E3 Expo 2009 for The Business Insider.

Even though i'm not a big fan of Nintendo I do think that was rather harsh, their conference wasn't THAT bad, I think it was better than sony's and second to Microsofts,