By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rockstar :The Agent getting MASSIVE support from SONY + R* A Team's making

E3 is going to be huge :D

This game needs to sell at least 5 million to make R* happy enough to stay with the lovely sony

Around the Network
Blaiyan said:
Unless sony's going to own this IP then it's a waste for them to give "Massive Support" if that support is what I assume is a lot of money.

Could also just mean that they've given them some time and effort of their own teams, aiding them in perfecting it for the PS3. Just like when Sony teams went to SuckerPunch to aid with the audio and all that, in order to limit the time that SuckerPunch had to waste on that aspect.

I can't wait for this game. I love all the Cold War CIA vs KGB stuff. I wonder if it will really show how evil and corrupt "Intelligence" agencies can be. It would be even better if it were set in the 60's, maybe you would get to play as one of the CIA agents that killed JFK.

luvtospooge said:
Twistedpixel said:
We'll see. If the H Brothers are working on this game then the cash-in game with be GTA IV -X city and this game will get the attention. Although have we seen them perform outside of GTA? The've been a one hit company for a while now so I would give it the same hesitation as an FPS made by Polyphony Digital or a racer made by Bungie.

I don't think it's another genre though...it's like GTA but in the late 70's and you're an assassin. Not much difference.

Although I don't think this is gonna burst sales up because it doesn't have GTA in it, I can see it selling decently.

It'd have to sell on marketing and its own worth as a product. They can't count on 6M sales in the first week for instance. In addition to this, I would expect the game to be delayed. GTA IV made it out in the first third of 2008, 2 and a half years full time development does not really give me confidence in the release data. New I.P generally takes at least 3 years if your consider open world development. For example, Oblivion was released 4 years after Bethesda started development.

In addition to this, I expect that most people with the one console can reasonably expect to see it released on the Xbox 360 within 6 to 12 months of the release on the PS3. I just don't see it staying exclusive in this day and age and the fat cheque that Sony would have to write to keep it exclusive would probably be better spent on one of their own I.Ps/studios where they fully benefit and control the output.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

PS3... it only does THE NEXT BIG THING.

Around the Network

That's limit scary.

It seems there's a next big thing every 2 months or so.

Twistedpixel said:
luvtospooge said:
Twistedpixel said:
We'll see. If the H Brothers are working on this game then the cash-in game with be GTA IV -X city and this game will get the attention. Although have we seen them perform outside of GTA? The've been a one hit company for a while now so I would give it the same hesitation as an FPS made by Polyphony Digital or a racer made by Bungie.

I don't think it's another genre though...it's like GTA but in the late 70's and you're an assassin. Not much difference.

Although I don't think this is gonna burst sales up because it doesn't have GTA in it, I can see it selling decently.

It'd have to sell on marketing and its own worth as a product. They can't count on 6M sales in the first week for instance. In addition to this, I would expect the game to be delayed. GTA IV made it out in the first third of 2008, 2 and a half years full time development does not really give me confidence in the release data. New I.P generally takes at least 3 years if your consider open world development. For example, Oblivion was released 4 years after Bethesda started development.

In addition to this, I expect that most people with the one console can reasonably expect to see it released on the Xbox 360 within 6 to 12 months of the release on the PS3. I just don't see it staying exclusive in this day and age and the fat cheque that Sony would have to write to keep it exclusive would probably be better spent on one of their own I.Ps/studios where they fully benefit and control the output.

on your last point, I think sony has a 3game exclusive deal with r*, so this may very well stay with sony. whether they get to keep the ip is a different story all together.

The other thing you have to consider is the statement made in the article where they say sony has given them massive support in developing the game. considering this, i don't think a game where sony helps with development will see the light of day on another console.

i dont think the game will do GTA numbers though, it may do well but no where near as well as gta. Playing an agent/ school kid, cop, hero just hasnt got the same mass appeal as to playing a gangbanger in sandboxgames i.e bully, just cause, true crime etc.

one they could sell it to millions is by calling it GTA- Grand Territory Agent, but dont tell anyone what the new GTA abb stands for lol

Fei-Hung said:
Twistedpixel said:

on your last point, I think sony has a 3game exclusive deal with r*, so this may very well stay with sony. whether they get to keep the ip is a different story all together.

The other thing you have to consider is the statement made in the article where they say sony has given them massive support in developing the game. considering this, i don't think a game where sony helps with development will see the light of day on another console.

i dont think the game will do GTA numbers though, it may do well but no where near as well as gta. Playing an agent/ school kid, cop, hero just hasnt got the same mass appeal as to playing a gangbanger in sandboxgames i.e bully, just cause, true crime etc.

one they could sell it to millions is by calling it GTA- Grand Territory Agent, but dont tell anyone what the new GTA abb stands for lol

The game is probably costing them at least $50M to make and break even point is probably north of 2.5M copies sold inclusive marketing. There aren't that many games which would sell that much on the one system and they do expect to make a profit from it as well. In addition to this, if they give away their I.P. they are fools, and they would have had all the leverage in the world back in the PS2 days to do just that.

Microsoft gave considerable help to the developers of Bioshock and that game ended up on the PS3.

The number of copies it can sell will determine where it will end up. They don't want to invest all this money in a dead end system, nor take the risk that the next generation will go more towards Playstation. If they don't establish a name for the game on all systems then it may very well die out as a franchise before the 2nd release considering 2012 may have this generation winding down.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
luvtospooge said:
Twistedpixel said:

But they are getting Massive support from Sony though...Sony may want this to release fall 2010 as a counter attack to Natal and Halo Reach, which would make sense... but they would need to get the hype straight up.

I'm excited for this game. I know not ever Rockstar game is good (*cough* manhunt/max payne *cough*) but since its PS3 exclusive and they're hyping it his much it should be good.