By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Halo and Minigame?

First off, I want to set this off right;

THIS IS NOT A FLAME BAIT AREA 

That said I want to open the floor some general discussion about something that has struck me as odd. Let me establish chain of logic that might better help explain the question.

1)      We can all agree that a mini game is a side, optional, fun, and/or smaller version of the main story of the game

2)      Halo 3 has a main story

3)      Halo 3 also has “side, optional, fun, and smaller version of the main story of the game”

4)      Halo 3 has “mini games”

Now before all of you over zealous Halo 3 fans come at me up in arms let me say my piece and then you can say yours. Every review for the game so far has the Main story clocked at around 10-13 hours. This is not a problem for most people because; they are getting it for the online multiplayer, the logically proven “mini games”.

I do not want anyone thinking I am against Halo 3; I am the opposite in fact. I have been a fan of the series since the launch of the first game. In my college days, I won a few school competitions and was ranked in the high 30’s online for Halo 2. I was one of the first to buy crackdown just for the Halo 3 beta, which I played.  Therefore, this idea buzzing in my brain has struck me as odd indeed.

However, the fact remains that the majority of people buying Halo 3 are going to buy it for the “mini games”.

Therefore, I am wondering why it is okay for Halo 3 or any FPS with similar options to have “mini games” but not for Nintendo games to have them?

Around the Network

Multiplayer is not the same as "minigame."

Minigames are short, round based, usually multiplayer games with different objectives in each game...they usually don't last much more than a minute or two a piece. That's totally different from deathmatch FPS games...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

well what about wii sports, have you not had a tenis match last longer then you have had some death matchs?

Yeah...but then again, I'm not sure even Wii Sports can be called a minigame. It's more like 5 very small, simple games in one.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

i just see that no matter how long a match might last they are still side "mini games"---i mean you have only so long to get from point a to point b---sure it might take you an hour to get the 10 captures of the flag or the 100 kills but you stil playing a mini game--but that is still only my opinion

Around the Network

Eh, that's your opinion, then.

Most gamers consider mini-games short, usually silly games that give you points after playing a lot of these little games. Mario Party, Rayman Raving Rabbids, etc. You play short little games that make up the larger whole.

In round-based FPS multiplayer, it's pretty much a separate entity from the single player game. You fight and either kill everybody, or complete an objective like capture the flag or king of the hill.

I don't really know how to explain it...but almost all gamers would not call FPS multiplayer games "minigames."

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

"Games that give you points after playing a lot of these little games" is that not capture the flag at its basic--especially if you turn flag respawn off so the round starts over once you capture it.

Game,

1-start round
2-get opponent’s flag
3-get point
4-start game over

Do you se where i am coming from? B/c a death match can be broken down in the same way

1-start round
2-kill opponent
3--start game over

I mean is it not a mini game only for the sake of the components of it? On the other hand, is it b/c of the Halo name? B/c (not that i think they are equals) dose Mario party have games with similar elements? I mean in super monkey ball one of the mini games was a death match where you went around ad shot you opponents for Points

Almost every multiplayer game has round-based elements...you have to draw a line somewhere if you want to label certain games as "minigames."

If you want to include Halo and other FPSs as "minigames" you can under your definition, I just don't agree they're the same.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM

Consider the hair effectively split.

Onward to bigger, better, and brighter topics!

thats fair enough but what falls where?