By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Nintendo get too much credit for saving videogames?

the videogame crash that everyone says nintendo saved us from happened when computers such as the C64 were very expensive and complicated to use, the next step after the c64 was the Amig which had an RRP of 500quid when it was first released and this is like 15 years or more ago. This was far too much for the average family to pay out.
The gaming industry needed a simple, cheap and fun games console and all the competitors were doing was diluting the market with different models what basically did the same job. The consumer didn't know which to buy and which offered what. (this sounds pretty similar to nintendos second market domination actually)
I wouldn't say they were solely responsible for gaming as it is today, Im kinda greatful the PS brand was born and has made nintendo work their nuts off to avoid bankrupsy. In one way, sony saved video gaming, by forcing nintendo to save itself :)

Around the Network

No. Nintendo are the best.

superchunk said:
No. Nintendo are the best.

QFT.

Without PS - EU wouldn't be so HUGE

PS3 was the first console that CROSSED the 100 Million landmark

Proving therefore It INCREASED the market more than ninty ever did

But yeah they did save the industry one, kudos to them for that

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

both sony and ninty both dont get enough credit and get too much (well not so much sony in that regard). yay they saved the industry and vastly expanded it, but who cares anymore? for sony that was like 10 years ago and ninty was way more.

yes they are good memories, but u dont remember them for the improvements in the industry but for the games they made.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network
soccerdrew17 said:

u dont remember them for the improvements in the industry but for the games they made.

And yet here we are talking about those improvements...  

The_vagabond7 said: Even the 360 which is the most PC like,

More PC-like than the PS3 which can run AS A PC with Linux?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Legend11 said:
I guess the message I'm trying to get across is that I think people who say "There would be no videogames today if not for Nintendo saving videogames" are wrong. I don't wish to argue about the size of gaming because we'll never know what it could have been, but without someone pointing out why computer game makers that were making profits would all suddenly disappear then there's no logical reason that the statement given is true.

Well yeah Computer Games would exist.  There is a very good chance home consoles would of died out though.  Which is what i imagine most people mean by "Video Games". 

Usually to the common person "Video games" and "Computer Games" mean to different things.  Or at least did until recently when the differences between computers and consoles have become more blurred.

So back then the NES did save video games because "Computer Games" were a different thing all together.

ssj12 said:
Oh, actually if anything Nintendo/SEGA saved console video games, PC was going strong =] and will go strong forever more even after Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft die.

Sega didn't so much save console gaming as they did decide to jump on the new "Free Money" Train.

leo-j your an idiot.

Nintendo saved the industry period.

Sony come in and revolutionized gaming by going into 3d and cd and made it grow.

and now the Wii revolutionized gaming and is making it grow.