By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does Nintendo get too much credit for saving videogames?

My point of view is that nintendo did great for videogames but the ones that saved the video game market where consumers, nintendo was the one who realized that there was a need. I'm sure sega was working on their system before the NES was lunched so they did great... they didn't save anyone.

Around the Network

@leo-j and Soriku:
No S-E no KH and we all know that almost happened 17 years ago when Final Fantasy was CREATED.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Yes and no. It did revive the console, and that had a huge impact. Something like this might have happened anyway, but we can't assume it would have happened. A lot of people felt consoles were a waste of time and that home computers were the future of gaming.

If Nintendo had not produced the NES, would someone else have done it? Could someone else have gotten past retailers and consumers who thought game consoles were dead? Could PC gaming have replaced console gaming? We cannot say.

What we can say is that Nintendo overcame a lot of hardships, from retailer biases to constant lawsuits from Atari, to revive the home console. And in North America and Japan it was huge.

Ishy said:
No, nintendo can never get too much credit for single-handedly lifting the video game market out of the pit it had put itself in... without them nobody would be gaming today...

Oh yes, that is why the 360 software sales are kicking the crap out of the Wii's in the US and have been all year....

Nobody would be gaming.... try another one.

TalonMan said:
jhlennon1 said:
Ishy said:
No, nintendo can never get too much credit for single-handedly lifting the video game market out of the pit it had put itself in... without them nobody would be gaming today...

Oh yes, that is why the 360 software sales are kicking the crap out of the Wii's in the US and have been all year....

Boy,  you certainly haven't been paying attention to this thread very closely, have you?

This has nothing to do with what MS, Sony, and Nintendo are doing today - we're talking about almost 25 years ago (long before Bill Gates even had his multi-billion dollar empire)...

and before Microsoft was even a company...

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Around the Network
TalonMan said:
jhlennon1 said:
Ishy said:

Boy,  you certainly haven't been paying attention to this thread very closely, have you?

This has nothing to do with what MS, Sony, and Nintendo are doing today - we're talking about almost 25 years ago (long before Bill Gates even had his multi-billion dollar empire)...

Nope, I haven't. Ignore me. I only started gaming when Sony entered gaming.

mitsuhide said:
@TalonMan:
If the computer console killed gaming(almost) then should expect a market crash in 7-13 years because of the X360 and PS3? or will the Wii counteract that happening.

That's a very black and white interpretation of the market now and then. Obviously it's changed drastically since the early to mid 80s. Back then videogames were a small niche, how many people were going to shell out a grand or more for a computer console like the commodore 64 just for a nerdy hobby like videogames? A very small number by comparison to how many would shell out a couple hundred dollars for a toy for their kids. Since then videogames have become a far more recognized and popular form of entertainment, and home PCs have become very common. Having a console that has some PC like functions no longer will drive off the average consumer, and furthermore is drastically cheaper and simpler. Even the 360 which is the most PC like, is still much simpler to buy and play than a PC is. Your parallel is very flawed.

And yes, Nintendo deserves the credit it gets. Why aren't we all playing our apple i-console or commodore 360s right now? Because they didn't succeed like the NES did. It didn't win over retailers, market aggressively, and expand the market. C64 was not a household name, and it wasn't on any track to become one (unless your household had a computer nerd in it) Nintendo was. They didn't single handedly make videogames out of swirling masses of 1s and 0s, like some sort of computer Yahweh, but they did make videogames into the market they are today.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Oh, actually if anything Nintendo/SEGA saved console video games, PC was going strong =] and will go strong forever more even after Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft die.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

A lasting effect of Nintendo entering the USA video game market in 1985 is that Japanese companies dominate the USA video game console market.

You aren't alone in your feelings on the issue, Talonman. Trust me on that.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.