By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Pacther: Sony will not ship 11 million PS3s in fiscal 08' w/o a price cut

Oh yeah. This is Sony SHIPPING 11 MILLION CONSOLES WORLDWIDE. Not in one region but all regions combined so far. This is not consoles sold to us gamers but sold to the retailers. Even if Sony makes the target of 11 million from now to Mar. 2008, what are the odds of all of those consoles being bought by us.

So many people got ripped off so far and that's pretty much every one that bought a 60gb and 20gb PS3.  I would not wat to get ripped off that's for sure.  I would rather wait it out until Sony gets something good AND permenant out to the market.

Ok so what if they make the target and they don't sell as well as they had hoped (no price cut...remember) they might just rip off all of the 80gb PS3 users as well by releasing either another SKU bundle of higher price or an SKU with a price cut (finally) but they take out a few things to balance out the cost (Umm...I don't know ...A 40gb PS3 WITHOUT EE Chip, No Wifi, Wired Controller, no bundled game for.....$399???)

Lets face it. There's nothing Sony can do at this point, EXCEPT for a $399 80gb PS3 this year offer which ain't happening.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Around the Network

And another SKU is on the way being made by Foxconn it is 40GB and will probably retail for $399(i estimate and the 80GB will go down to $499 so that would be Sony's first real pricecut.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

The thing about Sony's 11m target is that they also have a fiscal target of only $500 million loss. They've already blown through nearly half that already. So what's more important? Their physical target or their fiscal target? Because I don't think they can achieve both at the same time.

He is stating the obvious and I am sure a price cut is on the way.

Apparently not everyone understands the mess that Sony created with their financial reports. Sony's TOTAL forecast is of 14.6 million PS3 shipped to retailers by the end of the fiscal year, not 16.5 million as people think.

I created a "setting the record straight" thread a while back which was going to be turned into a news item on vgchartz but it never ended up happening. Here is that thread:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=4969

My first and 3rd posts on that thread contain all the explanations and calculations behind this and other interesting numbers. The rest of the thread contains proof of some of the more controversial things that I found out...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Apparently not everyone understands the mess that Sony created with their financial reports. Sony's TOTAL forecast is of 14.6 million PS3 shipped to retailers by the end of the fiscal year, not 16.5 million as people think.

I created a "setting the record straight" thread a while back which was going to be turned into a news item on vgchartz but it never ended up happening. Here is that thread:

My first and 3rd posts on that thread contain all the explanations and calculations behind this and other interesting numbers. The rest of the thread contains proof of some of the more controversial things that I found out...

Even 14.6 Million is an unlikely target ...

If you look at the current rate of sales (and give Sony a healthy boost for christmas) they will sell between 3.5 and 4.5 Million consoles betweem now and March 31st 2008; this would put them between 8 and 9 million consoles sold which (even with a large buffer) would put them 3 to 4 Million units below their shipment target.

At this point in time, Sony would have to double sales to come close to their target which is unlikley regardless of whether they have a price drop.

Know, I know Sony fans will say I'm lowballing the sales of the PS3 but they made the same claims when I estimated 7 to 8 Million PS3's sold at the end of 2007 which is starting to look too optimistic.

yet again pachter predicts what everyone else has already predicted. Does make him seem better than before though, when he predicted earlier but got it wrong.

I think by Apr1 08 ps3 sell through will be about 10m.... i thought that a long time ago [before 1st quarter was up]

for once... i agree with him =O.... say it ain't so...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

ssj12 said:
... isn't the 80GB getting a cut to $499 when the 60GB runs out.. could have sworn thats going to happen.

... replacing one SKU with another of the same price isnt a price cut.. could have sworn that was common knowledge.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

NJ5 said:

Or they can just look at my signature.

Edit: Btw are these Pachters numbers or TheSource's numbers?

Wii - 23-25 million

360 - 18-20 million

PS3 - 12-14 million

To Each Man, Responsibility