By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Ps3 the Golden Era of this Generation? Let's have a discussion!

Probably many of you will not agree with this thread, so I ask you to carefully read this thread to understand my reasoning for this statement.

I am a proud owner of a Ps3, Wii and Xbox 360, so I consider myself a neutral who know's a thing or two about gaming. The ps3 library is really starting to move ahead of the competition, as to why the ps3 is the 'Golden Era of the Gen' I will now explain. Turn the kettle on, get the biscuits out and enjoy this investigatory report.

Out of the three consoles the ps3 has arguably got the most diverse library of games, the X360 library has been cited as being too hardcore whereas Nintendo has been labeled as too Casual. With the ps3 being in between able to offer not only hardcore games but a nice pedigree of Casual games.

Nintendo Wii has an outstanding 1st party support boasting games such as Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 etc. However their 3rd party has been very weak with many developers opting to release their games on the HD consoles. The quality of games for the wii have been drying up, being halfway into 2009 Nintendo Wii has yet to release an AAA game to rival those that came before it e.g. Super Smash Brawl. However with The Conduit and Wii Resort around the corner maybe this will change. Some gamers have complained that Nintendo has been forgetting about it's roots (Hardcore Gaming), personally I must disagree Nintendo in a short space of time has released nearly all of it's classic franchises. So give them respect.

The Xbox 360 is an amazing console as we all know, it took the crown for 2007 as the console of the year and rightfully so. However the Xbox 360 has been labeled as being too hardcore, meeting the needs of the hardcore market but not expanding it to meet the needs of casual gamers. However Microsoft has tried and change this by releasing games such as Viva Pinata, Lips etc. to attract casual gamers. Xbox 360 has also been labeled a shooter box, being a die hard shooter I see no problem in that. But I can uderstand the title, shooters always sell well on the X360.

It seems both consoles have not managed to obtain the right balance in my opinion. The wii is too casual with not enough games coming out for it and the xbox360 is too hardcore for casual gamers to jump in.

It seems the ps3 has not suffered from this, it has suffered from things such price, delayed games etc. The ps3 has the luxury of being in the between the X360 - Ps3 - The Nintendo Wii in terms of content offerings. The ps3 boasts a vast amount of casual games while meeting the needs of the hardcore games. It has shown expansion by the content offerings through it's PSN service with game such as Flower, Fat princess etc. To get a broader look I will list the games that I believe have made the ps3 standout, also included will be upcoming games.

Games that appeal to 'Casual Gamers and Hardcore Gamers alike'.

Games that are more aimed at the Hardcore Market.

Resistance Series

Games more aimed at the casual market

Littlebigplanet

Continuing the diversity via the Psn

Flower

Games Set to continue the Legacy of Diversity

God Of War 3

Eyepet

It also helps to have the greatest game in your library

"Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots has the distinguished honor of gaining the title of VGChartz' best game of the current generation".

Please understand this is not an arguments as to which console has the best library but which has to which has the most diverse library. Please voice your opinion, anger, frustration or delight in a professional manner so we can all have a nice discussion.

Thank You.

Megaman.2. Out!

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

Around the Network

nope, not really

and where do you even find the time? damn that's devotion.

did you seriously put up pics of every exclusive PS3 game....

LOL

spdk1 said:

LOL

No not every exclusive game

mM

Your thread title makes no sense. An era is a span of time.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
spdk1 said:

LOL

nah just a flavour.

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

Mr Khan said:

Your thread title makes no sense. An era is a span of time.

Good point what i meant is when we look back on this time, will the ps3 be recognised as the golden period.

</embed>

nojustno said:

nope, not really

and where do you even find the time? damn that's devotion.

I have to keep the community informed and entertained

</embed>

hey sony has was the king of gaming for years so of course they will have a wide assortment of exclusives

um no, not entirely true. first off, while the PS3 has a diverse library, it is mainly for hardcore gamers. Second, the wii is starting to get third party support and hardcore games from companies like(most notably) HVS, vanillaware, sega ect.. i do,however, agree that the 360 is mainly for hardcore fans. i just think that the wii has, or at least will have, the most diverse game library.