By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can halo 3 be compare to lord of the ring

The backstory of LotR spreads several THOUSAND pages, not hundreds.

fkusumot said:

rocketpig said:
Fuzzmosis said:
Lord of the Rings: An ancient well written fantasy series, and fairly epic at that. But more backstory than any other fantasy series? Bullshit. You can't say that one with a straight face, or without saying you have only read The Hobbit. Better than them, certainly, more backstory? Hell no.

Tolkien wrote backstory in the Middle-Earth universe that goes back thousands of years before the LoTR series. They were never even meant to be published (they were published by his son after he passed), he just wrote them to flesh out his universe. All said, his notes for the backstory come in at several hundred pages.

I don't know of another author who dedicated that kind of time and effort just to make his published novels seem more realistic and in-depth.

What Rocketpig said. Also see Silmarillion. The Lord of the Rings has a backstory comparable to the New Testament.

Comparable to the whole Bible, really.

Around the Network

It wouldn't shock me that The works of the Ring have a bit more fleshed out backstory than the bible.

At the same time, I think one has a clear advantage in impact over the other.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

I've comprised a list of the main books in the LotR universe.

Finished works:

• The six Lord of the Rings books - These were then divided into pairs to make three complete books once all were released.
  • The Hobbit
  • The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

Unfinished yet published works:

• The Silmarillion - This was his first book and his last. He started shaping Middle-Earth with this work, and it went through revision after revision, edit after edit, until his death. He son then edited the book and released it as if it was a completed work, as it was nearly so when Tolkien died. It begins with the creation of MIddle-Earth, the enlightening of the Eldar, the coming of the second-born, etc. It is essentially the Bible of Middle-Earth.
  • The Unfinished Tales - This was a collection of tales that were never fully completed by Tolkien, that included various stories going back to the time of Numenor, and some even further back to the time of the Eldar's awakening.
  • The History of the Hobbit
  • The History of Middle-Earth - Twelve volumes:
  1. The Book of Lost Tales 1
  2. The Book of Lost Tales 2
  3. The Lays of Beleriand
  4. The Shaping of Middle-Earth
  5. The Lost Road and Other Writings
  6. The Return of the Shadow
  7. The Treason of Isengard
  8. The War of the Ring
  9. Sauron's Defeat
  10. Morgoth's Ring
  11. The War of the Jewels
  12. The Peoples of Middle-Earth

Fuzzmosis said:
It wouldn't shock me that The works of the Ring have a bit more fleshed out backstory than the bible.

At the same time, I think one has a clear advantage in impact over the other.

Impact?  Harry Potter impacted a single generation.  The Lord of the Rings has inspired almost ever major fantasy work since, or at least every one which involves elves, dwarves, orcs, wizards, and war.

NO!
Damn, those people are nuts ...
The closest thing to LotR would be a JRPG.

Around the Network

i am so use to msn writing that all

it not who i am but what i do that defines me. you'll never walk alone you'll never walk alone walk on walk on.

OK,

quickly,

lord of the ring MOVIE ==> SUCK, so much

lord of the ring BOOK ==> GREAT, so deep

HALO VIDEO GAME ==> it may be great or what you want, it is not enought deep to be compared to LOTR. So much different.

BILAN : why do you want to compare Halo to LOTR ?
they are completely different in everything !!!!

Time to Work !

the only thing u can compare is that there have been 3 lord of the rings movies and 3 halo games... thas it

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

I'm not a huge fan of either, but HP does not equal LoTR. Plus, I rather hated the last two HP novels...

And I love Halo, but it's not even close to having the lasting importance of LotR. No game is. 100 years from now, people will still be reading that book. I doubt anyone will be emulating Halo in their virtual reality chambers.

In reply to the topic question -

No. Not a chance in hell.