By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 Was below 100K last week? -- What will SONY do -- its critically low!

There's not really anything Sony can do -- they're already losing $40 on every PS3 sold and even more on the millions that aren't selling. God of War 3 could temporarily revive the PS3 -- but how long will that last?

Around the Network

^ God of War 3?! Thats what a 2M+ selling series last time? 3M at best...

Tease.

Rockon2008 is back!!!! except he's in an MS fanboy costume this time lol.

He really reminds me alot of rockon.

Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
wow..sony defenders are in a frenzy on this thread.

ps3 is in last place still.

still losing a crapload of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sony would have been better off not even creating the ps3...sadly.

So yes, I think they will give up the console....it has proven to be a money waster

You sure about that?

If the PS3 weren't around, then not only would the 360 lose a lot of third-party support, raving 360 fanatics like you wouldn't have your bragging rights because there'd be no marginally lesser selling console to compare it to. You wouldn't be able to ignore the Wii, exaggerate the negligible sales gap every week, and brag about your console of choice being a distant second. Instead, the 360 would be in a distant last place with only the Wii to compare it to and hence would be catching sheer hell for its poor sales.

I don't care about the xbox 360.  Why is somebody labeled a 360 fanboy when they point out the glorious failings of the ps3?

I said it would be better for SONY if they didn't waste 6 billion on the ps3, not better for me.

Wow....so sad.  Why don't you get back to me when the ps3 actually makes a profit.

I don't expect to be hearing from you for a few years.....thank God! 

Because you can't harp on the failings of the PS3 without doing the same to the 360 because it's pretty much in the same boat.

The PS3 is being destroyed by the Wii? So is the 360.

The PS3 is selling poorly? So is the 360.

The 360 hasn't made a profit either. It's had profitable quarters, but overall it's still in the red. As a matter of fact, MSFT's E&D division posted a 31 million dollar loss last quarter.

So yeah, the PS3 isn't turning a profit? Neither is the 360.

But fine, let's have it your way. Sony decides not to waste anymore money on consoles and leaves the market. As a result, you don't have a rallying point when your precious 360 faces the ass whoopin' from the Wii all by itself.

1) Lord N - Umm you are wrong young lad.  The xbox 360 has been profitable for 2 years now....even though they weren't last quarter.

2) The ps3 has wasted all the ps2 profits and cost sony 6 billion dollars.  SONY CANNOT AFFORD THIS WASTE!!!

Microsoft made 3 billion $$$$$$ NET PROFIT IN 3 MONTHS....which is more than sony will make in 3-4 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft has ZERO DEBT and 25 billion in cash reserves.  Sony is 8 billion in debt and GROWING as speak.

SONY went from a gaming leader with 70% market share to last place. 

3) Microsoft has made enormous progress this generation while sony is on  the brink of collapse.

Reality check

1) You're either completely clueless, or just a liar. There have been several quarters over the past two years where MSFT's E&D division has posted losses, and even when it has posted profits a) the E&D division consists of several other products and services that don't include the 360, and b) it's not anywhere near enough to make up for the original losses of the 360, much less the Xbox.

2) MSFT as a company made 3 billion dollars. Windows and Office have nothing to do with the 360. If Sony's other divisions were bringing in boatloads of money, then it wouldn't mean jack shit for the PS3. Droning on about MSFT being a wealthy company is just a red herring.

3) If anyone needs a reality check here, it's you. MSFT is still in the same position that it was in last generation, which is a distant, unprofitable second place. Not to mention that it still can't sell worth a shit in Japan and still hasn't found a way to appeal to all gamer demographics as it still appeals almost exclusively to core and hardcore gamers.

Sony has certainly been greatly weakened this generation, but it isn't in a position where it can't recover. At the very least, Sony can say that it has a presence in all markets and that it has a console that has had strong sales across all regions throughout the generation(PSP). The PSP will probably end up outselling the NES. When this generation is over, Sony will have sold twice as many total consoles as MSFT and hence will have had a larger impact on the market.

However, none of this changes the fact that neither one is in a position to throw a party at the current time, and they're both going to have their work cut out for them next gen if they want to avoid a repeat slaughter by Nintendo.

Do some research - you sound like an ignorant fool.

Microsoft's EDD has posted PROFITS for the past 2 years!!!

The PS3 has been a money black hole that has sucked ALL THE PROFITS from the ps2 AND PSP and nearly destroyed sony itself.

Microsoft IS making money on the xbox.

Have they made back thier investment?  Of course not.  But at least they have POSITIVE revenue streams.  Sony admitted in their financial reports they may NEVER RECOVER the money lost on the ps3.  All for the glory of LAST PLACE!

The ps brand has been destroyed because sony wanted to force a movie format down your throat and all you can do is make excuses for their borderline criminal activities.

Sony's classic propaganda branwashing has effective on you.- Joseph Mengele would be proud.

this week they both might be under 100k

Around the Network
markers said:
this week they both might be under 100k

Unfortunately, this just might be the case. Sales are on their way down. Maybe the low economy is just now hitting the video game industry... I mean, even Wii is selling far below expectations.

The BuShA owns all!

nintendo went from having more marketshare from it competition to last too.
and now look at them (bank account)

companies go with this all the time and we are a recession, it was bound to happen.

also if ps3 drops below 100k 360 more likely be very close to.

I wonder if other members understand that critically low can be relative. Critical for one does not necessarily mean critical for another. All things are not equal specifically in the manufacturing methodology of both Sony and Microsoft. What I am getting at is that these figures might be critical for Sony, but probably would not be to Microsoft.

Logically you would think that both companies would have used last years sales figures to determine how many units must be manufactured this year, and as we all know Sony has been down year over year for almost if not all of this year. So if sales continue to slide downward they may be manufacturing far in excess of demand. Not to mention that Sony was probably overdrawn on manufacturing from late last year.

I think critical is entirely dependent on whether the sales cause excessive liquidity to be locked up within merchandise. Anything over two million consoles unsold is a billion dollars that Sony cannot spend. Money that must have the interest paid for. This forced Sony to slash prices in its first year just as much as needing to salvage their console. So what I am saying is this could be critically low dependent on whether Sony is outstripping demand, and for how long they have been doing so.

Nothing says that the term critical cannot both be incendiary and unfortunately correct.

TheTruthProphet said:
Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
Lord N said:
TheTruthProphet said:
wow..sony defenders are in a frenzy on this thread.

ps3 is in last place still.

still losing a crapload of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sony would have been better off not even creating the ps3...sadly.

So yes, I think they will give up the console....it has proven to be a money waster

You sure about that?

If the PS3 weren't around, then not only would the 360 lose a lot of third-party support, raving 360 fanatics like you wouldn't have your bragging rights because there'd be no marginally lesser selling console to compare it to. You wouldn't be able to ignore the Wii, exaggerate the negligible sales gap every week, and brag about your console of choice being a distant second. Instead, the 360 would be in a distant last place with only the Wii to compare it to and hence would be catching sheer hell for its poor sales.

I don't care about the xbox 360.  Why is somebody labeled a 360 fanboy when they point out the glorious failings of the ps3?

I said it would be better for SONY if they didn't waste 6 billion on the ps3, not better for me.

Wow....so sad.  Why don't you get back to me when the ps3 actually makes a profit.

I don't expect to be hearing from you for a few years.....thank God! 

Because you can't harp on the failings of the PS3 without doing the same to the 360 because it's pretty much in the same boat.

The PS3 is being destroyed by the Wii? So is the 360.

The PS3 is selling poorly? So is the 360.

The 360 hasn't made a profit either. It's had profitable quarters, but overall it's still in the red. As a matter of fact, MSFT's E&D division posted a 31 million dollar loss last quarter.

So yeah, the PS3 isn't turning a profit? Neither is the 360.

But fine, let's have it your way. Sony decides not to waste anymore money on consoles and leaves the market. As a result, you don't have a rallying point when your precious 360 faces the ass whoopin' from the Wii all by itself.

1) Lord N - Umm you are wrong young lad.  The xbox 360 has been profitable for 2 years now....even though they weren't last quarter.

2) The ps3 has wasted all the ps2 profits and cost sony 6 billion dollars.  SONY CANNOT AFFORD THIS WASTE!!!

Microsoft made 3 billion $$$$$$ NET PROFIT IN 3 MONTHS....which is more than sony will make in 3-4 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft has ZERO DEBT and 25 billion in cash reserves.  Sony is 8 billion in debt and GROWING as speak.

SONY went from a gaming leader with 70% market share to last place. 

3) Microsoft has made enormous progress this generation while sony is on  the brink of collapse.

Reality check

1) You're either completely clueless, or just a liar. There have been several quarters over the past two years where MSFT's E&D division has posted losses, and even when it has posted profits a) the E&D division consists of several other products and services that don't include the 360, and b) it's not anywhere near enough to make up for the original losses of the 360, much less the Xbox.

2) MSFT as a company made 3 billion dollars. Windows and Office have nothing to do with the 360. If Sony's other divisions were bringing in boatloads of money, then it wouldn't mean jack shit for the PS3. Droning on about MSFT being a wealthy company is just a red herring.

3) If anyone needs a reality check here, it's you. MSFT is still in the same position that it was in last generation, which is a distant, unprofitable second place. Not to mention that it still can't sell worth a shit in Japan and still hasn't found a way to appeal to all gamer demographics as it still appeals almost exclusively to core and hardcore gamers.

Sony has certainly been greatly weakened this generation, but it isn't in a position where it can't recover. At the very least, Sony can say that it has a presence in all markets and that it has a console that has had strong sales across all regions throughout the generation(PSP). The PSP will probably end up outselling the NES. When this generation is over, Sony will have sold twice as many total consoles as MSFT and hence will have had a larger impact on the market.

However, none of this changes the fact that neither one is in a position to throw a party at the current time, and they're both going to have their work cut out for them next gen if they want to avoid a repeat slaughter by Nintendo.

Do some research - you sound like an ignorant fool.

Microsoft's EDD has posted PROFITS for the past 2 years!!!

The PS3 has been a money black hole that has sucked ALL THE PROFITS from the ps2 AND PSP and nearly destroyed sony itself.

Microsoft IS making money on the xbox.

Have they made back thier investment?  Of course not.  But at least they have POSITIVE revenue streams.  Sony admitted in their financial reports they may NEVER RECOVER the money lost on the ps3.  All for the glory of LAST PLACE!

The ps brand has been destroyed because sony wanted to force a movie format down your throat and all you can do is make excuses for their borderline criminal activities.

Sony's classic propaganda branwashing has effective on you.- Joseph Mengele would be proud.

I don't know who is right and I really don't care.

TheTruthProphet-- if you're going to make claims, just provide sources.  It keeps people from arguing with you and makes you seem like less of a fanboy to some people.

At everyone who thinks he's wrong-- same thing, provide links to sources that prove him wrong.

So instead of just going back and forth with no actual proof, just provide links and let this retarded argument end.

Dodece, Sony would also realise that selling the same console at the same price for near on two years would result in decreasing sales. Evidence of this would be Sony's FY2008 sales estimates and sales data being dead on. So being down YoY would have been something Sony had expected. MS halved the price of almost all 360 models, it would have predicted increased sales, so again, the current sales most likely matches their expectations, and hence their manufacturing rate.