By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSP slim sells 130,000 in first day in Japan

Wow... I have to say, I'm pretty shocked by how niave people are.

Copied from the other thread about exactly the same thing:

Is anyone surprised by this? Exactly what you would expect with a new "revision" of any hardware released. I wouldn't be surprised if it has actually sold out.

(look at DSLite sales when it launched)

There are 6m PSPs in Japan. You would think at *least* 10% of owners would like to upgrade. That makes 600k sales. Expect the slim to be selling through the roof for a couple of months at least.

The PSP slim *should* sell around 100k+ for a month (or two) at least. Anything less than this can be considered a failure (for a hardware revision).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

A pretty good boost for the redesign, but I'm guessing most of them are previous PSP owners upgrading. That would mean there is likely little to no software sales increase. That's how we will know who is buying this. Congratulations to the Slim though for a strong opening week.

good sales...the PSP has to deal with the monster that is the DS in japan but will end its life at 10-12 million ....hardly a failure

as for games ...in my opinion the PSP has more games and of higher quality than the DS

and another monster hunter was annouced for psp. Like an expansion.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Diomedes1976 said:
good sales...the PSP has to deal with the monster that is the DS in japan but will end its life at 10-12 million ....hardly a failure

as for games ...in my opinion the PSP has more games and of higher quality than the DS

I agree that it's not a failure by any means.

I think whether you like the PSP or DS game library better depends completely on what genres you like.  Personally, I like my DS game library better, but I like both systems the same.  The reason I like the DS game library better is because my favorite genres are RPGs, Platformers, and Action-Adventure games, and I don't like Racers, Sports games, or handheld Shooters.  Most of the PSP's high rated games are in those last 3 categories, and it's lacking in RPGs especially (though it's getting better in that department recently).  The DS excels in all 3 of my favorite categories though. 

The PSP is just as good a system because I can play roms of all my old games on it.  It's also getting a lot of really good games soon with KH:BBS, CC:FFVII, Star Wars Battlefront, Castlevania, etc.  Of course that doesn't mean the DS isn't.  For it I'm looking forward to KH: 358/2, Contra, Sonic RPG, Zelda: PH, Metal Slug, DQIX, Tales of Innocence, etc.  I think I may go make a topic about why everyone should own both handhelds lol.

Around the Network

Whatever your opinion is on the games, there is no denying that PSP owners do not seem to buy much software. The problem is not selling more PSPs. The problem is how do you get PSP owners to buy software. Outside of a couple PSP titles, the rest of the library sells like dirt. Pokemon alone has probably made more profit than the entire PSP library.

If the ammount of software sales per hardware sales stays the same or goes down than fundementally not much is going to change. Right now the PSP has a attach rate that makes what the GBA had look impressive by comparison. The DS doesn't have an astounding attach rate compared to consoles like the 360 and PS2, but it has pretty much the best one ever for a handheld, and that seems to hold consistant in all markets.

FishyJoe said:
Whatever your opinion is on the games, there is no denying that PSP owners do not seem to buy much software. The problem is not selling more PSPs. The problem is how do you get PSP owners to buy software. Outside of a couple PSP titles, the rest of the library sells like dirt. Pokemon alone has probably made more profit than the entire PSP library.

Global you have the pirate/illegal games problem.

Pokemon alone has probably made more profit than whole the GC library? 

konnichiwa said:
FishyJoe said:

Global you have the pirate/illegal games problem.

Pokemon alone has probably made more profit than whole the GC library?

No. The GC has the highest attach rate of any game system in history Konnichiwa. It had tons of multimillion sellers.  It may not have been the best selling system, but those who did buy it bought lots of games.  The PSP is on the exact opposite end of the spectrum with one of the lowest attach rates in history.

That's still not a fair comparison, though, as handhelds have historically had lower attach rates that consoles. Regardless of how much money Pokemon makes, the success of the PSP still lies in how much money it makes for Sony.

You do not have the right to never be offended.