By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN gives Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask 9.5...GO GET IT!!!

I just read the review of the 300th VC game Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask and felt the need to promote it a little.

If you haven't played this game yet then now is the time. (If you haven't played Ocarina of Time yet then shame on you, now buy that as well )  Trust me when I say that this is a wonderful game with the A+ gameplay from Ocarina of Time, superb music, scenes that you will remember for ages, a huge world, ultra fun temples...I could go on for hours.

While the main game is lengthy there is also other things to do that will keep you playing for a long time, like completing the Bombers notebook, getting all the masks and of course, finding all the heart pieces.

The new Zelda Wii that everyone longs for is still far, far away, so while waiting spend 10 bucks on this one.

For the IGN review:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/983/983891p1.html

Around the Network

I second this.... I had been patiently waiting since Wiis release for this to come to VC.

It's well worth it... It has aged much better than tired old OoT.... In fact the only thing wrong with it by todays standards is graphical tech, which is easy to look past.

Yeah, i got it back in 2000.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

TWRoO said:
I second this.... I had been patiently waiting since Wiis release for this to come to VC.

It's well worth it... It has aged much better than tired old OoT.... In fact the only thing wrong with it by todays standards is graphical tech, which is easy to look past.

This is a thread that should be used to celebrate the second coming of a masterpiece of a game and that it's now able to be played and enjoyed by many more people, let us not drag this down by deriding other games.

Well I still have the golden cartridge, so the rest of you can enjoy your little virtual game.

Around the Network

Reception

[hide] Reception
Aggregate scores
Aggregator Score
GameRankings 92.3% (31 reviews)[24]
Metacritic 95/100 (27 reviews)[23]
TopTenReviews 3.72/4 (22 reviews)[25]
Review scores
Publication Score
1UP.com A[26]
Edge 9 out of 10[27]
Electronic Gaming Monthly 10 out of 10[28]
Famitsu 38 out of 40[29]
GameSpot 8.3 out of 10[30]
IGN 9.9 out of 10[8]
N64 Magazine 96 out of 100[31]
Nintendo Power 9.4 out of 10[32]

The game sold approximately 314,000 copies in its first week of sales in Japan[2] and three million copies worldwide.[3] Majora's Mask is often regarded as one of the darkest and most original games in The Legend of Zelda series. Edge magazine referred to Majora's Mask as "the oddest, darkest and saddest of all Zelda games".[33] Reviews were generally favorable, with opinions mixed regarding whether the game is as good as its predecessor. According to Famitsu, "The difficulty level of the game is drastically improved [from Ocarina of Time], the limited saves, and the time limit to finish the game all help to make the game more enjoyable to play".[34] N64 Magazine ended their review by saying, "it was told that Majora's Mask should cower in the shadow of Ocarina of Time. Instead, it shines just as brightly", awarding the game 96%.[35] GameSpot said the game was much more difficult than its predecessor.[36] IGN described Majora's Mask as "The Empire Strikes Back of Nintendo 64...it's the same franchise, but it's more intelligent, darker, and tells a much better storyline".[8] GamePro characterized the story as "surreal and spooky, deep, and intriguing"[37] and the game as "living proof that the N64 still has its magic."[37] It has been ranked the seventh-greatest game by Electronic Gaming Monthly, whereas Ocarina of Time was ranked eighth.[38] Nintendo Power rated it the fifteenth-best game on a Nintendo console.[39] The game placed 45th in Official Nintendo Magazine's 100 greatest Nintendo games of all time.[40]

One common criticism is that Majora's Mask is not as accessible as Ocarina of Time. GameSpot, giving Majora's Mask an 8.3/10, lower than the 10/10 that was given to Ocarina of Time, wrote that some might "find the focus on minigames and side quests tedious and slightly out of place".[36] Game Revolution wrote that it "takes a little longer to get into this Zelda", but also that "there are moments when the game really hits you with all its intricacies and mysteries, and that makes it all worthwhile."[41]

MontanaHatchet said:
Well I still have the golden cartridge, so the rest of you can enjoy your little virtual game.

Same here. Bought it on launch day, damn it was fantastic.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Same here. Bought it on launch day, damn it was fantastic.

Everyone has the gold cart, they never made a grey cart iirc.

Loved Ocarina. Hated Majora.

Keep this in mind when reading what I type...

I've been gaming longer than many of you have been alive.

@Zeta. Just voicing an opinion, both are still incredible games... I would have a hard time figuring out which I would have preffered if I played them closer to each other, but I do feel OoT has aged more. Probably in part to do with Twilight Princess being relatively similar I suppose.