By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Enix Strikes Down Chrono Trigger Fangame at 98% Completion.

shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
So... is there a 97% complete copy of it floating around the interwebz?

Or were these guys stupid enough to think that S-E wouldn't find out?

So what if Square-Enix found out? SE has no case against them, and SE would definitely lose against them. The problem was that those guys didn't want to go into a legal battle that would end up costing them alot of money.

No, Square Enix would win. Easily. They're doing these guys a favor by NOT suing and asking for damages.

Around the Network
shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

So what if Square-Enix found out? SE has no case against them, and SE would definitely lose against them. The problem was that those guys didn't want to go into a legal battle that would end up costing them alot of money.

I recommend you acquaint yourself with laws concerning intellectual property infringement.

If they had not complied with the C&D then S-E would have filed for an injunction.  If they refuse to comply with a court-awarded injuction then they would be in contempt of court.  The punishment for which includes fines and jail time.

I can understand S-E wanting to protect its IPs.

That being said, maybe it ought to take a page out of the distant past of video game history. Remember Ms. Pac Man started its life out as an unauthorized hack that Midway adapted and later had to turn the profits over to Namco.

In other words, maybe S-E could hire some of these people and release a true CT sequel (or two).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Damn it's a shame these projects got crushed under a C&D order they both looked awesome. Much better than Chrono Cross

Signature goes here!

Darc Requiem said:
Euphoria14 said:
Darc Requiem said:
I'm not surprised. SE did the same thing to the 3D fan remake of Chrono Trigger.

Hopefully this means they are actually doing something with the CT franchise. I would have played this fan created sequel.

This is the 3D fan remake that SE served a C&D to. 

That's pure epic!

Around the Network
Desroko said:
shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

No, Square Enix would win. Easily. They're doing these guys a favor by NOT suing and asking for damages.

Damage? What damage? Proving SE are lazy asses who can't even do a fucking sequel in like 10 years while common, ordinary people actually managed to do so?

haxxiy said:
Desroko said:
shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Damage? What damage? Proving SE are lazy asses who can't even do a fucking sequel in like 10 years while common, ordinary people actually managed to do so?

That's one of the truths...

moral of the story- make it then leak it and claim it isn't yours. :p that way SE won't have time to issue a C&D order.

They can still release it but if they change the name and the sprites, then SE would have nothing on them

"Kinect" Games I am really excited about (Click for videos)

Kinectimals        Dance Central      Kinect-Sports   Kinect-Adventures    Your Shape       Kinect-Forza

Owner of :   slim 1000 +  80GB DSlite

And change the script too? I'm sure it's based around the original...