By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I have never played a Final Fantasy game before.Why one should I get?

you can play ps1 games on ps2. get ff9.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Khuutra said:
wfz said:
I've never played a FF game either, and my friend just recently (he's been trying for years) managed to get me to buy FF8 through Amazon. He says it's the most amazing game ever and that I'll love it.

The lack of FF8 mentions in here is making me question what the hell is going on... :P

Either my friend just made me make a horrible decision, or you guys have whacked out tastes.

I'm also extremely surprised at the lack of FF7 mentions, considering how crazy-popular that game is.

Do not play FFVIII first. Grab FFVI on the GBA. Or FFIV on the DS, if you want a challenge.

FFVIII is only a good introduction in that it will familiarize you with how different each Final Fantasy is compared to every other.

Well, FF VIII was my first FF and it introduced be to both the games and the RPG genre...

Yeah, and look how you turned out.

I kid, I kid.

@wfz: When was this?

The one thing about FFIV on the DS is that the bosses are extremely difficult especially for someone new to the games, out of about 12 bosses I've faced so far it has taken me a combined 37 tries to beat all of them. yes I kept track.

griffinA said:
ctk495 said:
griffinA said:
If you just want to start getting into to JRPGs I actually wouldn't start with Final Fantasy. I'd start with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana or Super Mario RPG. Those games are easy to learn but still difficult enough to challenge you.

I am also considering Chrono Trigger since it is availabe on the DS.I think I will get that one first then FFVI.

Definatly get Chrono Trigger, it's my favorite JRPG. Try downloading Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on the VC as well.

I just remember I still have like 800+ points since I last bought Sin and Punishment I will pick  one of them.Which one is better Secret of Mana or Super Mario RPG?

spartan004 said:
The one thing about FFIV on the DS is that the bosses are extremely difficult especially for someone new to the games, out of about 12 bosses I've faced so far it has taken me a combined 37 tries to beat all of them. yes I kept track.

ha yea they are hard, though after loosing like 6-7 times to one boss i spent time leveling up in the level and accidently leveled up too much and the next few levels/bosses were too easy. 

but thats always fixed by rushing through the next parts with little fighting and just grabbing chests of course, and then its back to a fun challenging game

Around the Network
ctk495 said:
griffinA said:
ctk495 said:
griffinA said:
If you just want to start getting into to JRPGs I actually wouldn't start with Final Fantasy. I'd start with Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana or Super Mario RPG. Those games are easy to learn but still difficult enough to challenge you.

I am also considering Chrono Trigger since it is availabe on the DS.I think I will get that one first then FFVI.

Definatly get Chrono Trigger, it's my favorite JRPG. Try downloading Secret of Mana and Super Mario RPG on the VC as well.

I just remember I still have like 800+ points since I last bought Sin and Punishment I will pick  one of them.Which one is better Secret of Mana or Super Mario RPG?

Wow that's a hard question.....ummmmm I'd say Super Mario RPG. It's easy to get into, virtually no grinding, no random battles, great music. But you really can't go wrong with either.

Actually Secret of Mana is a great multi-player game so if you have a friend to play with it's a great time.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

irstupid said:
spartan004 said:

ha yea they are hard, though after loosing like 6-7 times to one boss i spent time leveling up in the level and accidently leveled up too much and the next few levels/bosses were too easy. 

but thats always fixed by rushing through the next parts with little fighting and just grabbing chests of course, and then its back to a fun challenging game

Really the best way to beat each boss is through strategy, not leveling. Status effects are very potent!

The more you know!

Why don't you just start with the 1st one and go in order? That's what I did, and that's what people who played the original FF did, why not just do that?

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

griffinA said:
ctk495 said:
griffinA said:
ctk495 said:
griffinA said:

Wow that's a hard question.....ummmmm I'd say Super Mario RPG. It's easy to get into, virtually no grinding, no random battles, great music. But you really can't go wrong with either.

Actually Secret of Mana is a great multi-player game so if you have a friend to play with it's a great time.

I guess I will go with Super Mario RPG then I was going to get it a long time ago but didn´t.

^^good choice

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."