By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announces latest PlayStation sales figures

"Since the launch of PLAYSTATION 3 in Europe on 23 March 2007 and the end of March 2007 over 1.6 million units have been shipped across the SCEE territories, over 5.5 million globally"

Does that mean that they shipped 5.5m consoles now or they shipped 5.5m in march?

Around the Network

Sony changed their reporting methods for the last quarter. The sold to retail number through June 07 was only 4.28 million.

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/07q1_eleki.pdf

11M shipped in 2007? That will be a real problem when they won't sell 11M to consumers until maybe fall 2008.

Edit: are we sure he meant calendar year? Maybe he meant financial year, ending in March (right?).

Yeah, fiscal year. But they only sold .71 million in the first three months.

Thanks FishyJoe.  You're first link (and the number I was thinking of) was the shipped to warehouses number, which is still what the World-Hardware page lists as well.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Yeah, fiscal year. But they only sold .71 million in the first three months.

And if they're only hitting 5.5M now, that's about 1.3 million so far for Q2.  Only 9 million to go

twesterm said:
Why do you bother arguing with him? He has one whole post and I doubt he'll ever be back.

Not surprising. These threads are always made by the same one-shot clowns.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

lol.
my expectations;
ps3 end 07 consumer sales - 8mil [currently 4.5-5mil]
ps3 end 07 retail sales - 10 mil [currently under 5.5 apparently]
^this is slighty better than 360 last year which retailers had 10.4 mil but had only sold about 7.8 mil
Sony expects to sell 11 mil to retailers this fiscal year, add that to the 3.7 [ish] number sold to retail last fiscal year [dont confuse with the 5.5m shipped] makes nearly 15 million by march31st, something i highly doubt, so unless Sony are being anuses and still using the old "shipped to sonys warehouses" number then i doubt they will make that number.

its actually rather suspicious they 'ship' 5.5 million in the 1st half-year, and expect 11 million [5.5 X 2] for the following full year [half year X 2]

I think he has a point.Sony already announced 5.5 million units shipped end march so this isnt a shipped figure.Sony reported selling 3 times more than 360 in europe consistently(before the price cut at least)....I think the site undertracks the PS3 in europe .Even with the site data PS3 would be around 4.7 million right now,add 200k in europe (for the announced 1.63 million ) and you have around 5m ...enough for KAZ to say "between 5 and 6"million in a PR speech.

Diomedes1976 said:
I think the site undertracks the PS3 in europe

For someone who loves all that cutting-edge Blu-ray technology, you sure sound like a broken record...